Lough Corrib

cmcf

Friends are fishing this week, lots of Mayfly coming up around Oughterard till well into the evening. Trout are breaching, very few taking the fly but this bright Sun will do that.
4lb+ on buzzer and 5lb+ on wets that one time the wind blew, and one or two small fish sounds good but thats for 12 rod days.
Weather needs to break

I was on the lake at the weekend some fly Saturday and none Sunday. We had a lot of small fish to mayfly patterns but only a couple over 13inches. Hopefully next week will be better rain on the way.

mattcullen

Fished out of greenfield yesterday. Tried buzzers in the morning but no joy. Fished dry mayflies around the back of inchiquinn later and we just got one very small fish. Very few mayfly and there was no wind till late in the afternoon but we had the small fish and a few missed takes once the wind came on.

seanie

I was up yesterday. Fairly blustery conditions. Caught quite a few small fish,all on wets. It was tough going. I did manage to catch a nice fish of about 2 1/2 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stylie

Anyone else think this ?

The last couple of Mayfly seasons have been poor, I think there is enough fly around but the trout are just not interested right now.
On Saturday there was as good a hatch as you get from Corrib through out the day and the trout were ignoring them. Conditions were good weather wise aswell but only had 5-6 small trout, one keeper size. Other boats were the same, small trout and a couple of keepers.
Ten years ago May 13th in weather like that would have been crazy good fishing. The trout are there, I see them in the mornings during the summer fishing the Caenis.
But I think they are gorging on other food stuffs and by the time to take the Mayfly seriously the main hatch is over. Buzzer fishing is still going strong, the lake is full of 2-3in Roach, normally wouldn't see that till July. Weed growth is way up, the Bog between Portacarron and Oughterard has loads of weed in it to the point you have to watch for it while playing a trout, I should have lost a fish in it two weeks ago but got a bit lucky.

I think the mild winter has kept the lake topped up with plenty of non Mayfly food stuffs and the trout dont switch to them the way they used to.
Up again for 3 days from Friday so we will see, but fishing Saturday in great weather with fly coming off and no trout rising to them is depressing.

mackiia1

Anyone else think this ?

The last couple of Mayfly seasons have been poor, I think there is enough fly around but the trout are just not interested right now.
On Saturday there was as good a hatch as you get from Corrib through out the day and the trout were ignoring them. Conditions were good weather wise aswell but only had 5-6 small trout, one keeper size. Other boats were the same, small trout and a couple of keepers.
Ten years ago May 13th in weather like that would have been crazy good fishing. The trout are there, I see them in the mornings during the summer fishing the Caenis.
But I think they are gorging on other food stuffs and by the time to take the Mayfly seriously the main hatch is over. Buzzer fishing is still going strong, the lake is full of 2-3in Roach, normally wouldn't see that till July. Weed growth is way up, the Bog between Portacarron and Oughterard has loads of weed in it to the point you have to watch for it while playing a trout, I should have lost a fish in it two weeks ago but got a bit lucky.

I think the mild winter has kept the lake topped up with plenty of non Mayfly food stuffs and the trout dont switch to them the way they used to.
Up again for 3 days from Friday so we will see, but fishing Saturday in great weather with fly coming off and no trout rising to them is depressing.

This time last year the weather was hot , sunny and calm - brutal weather for Mayfly. Hatches were poor and it was my worst Mayfly fishing in years.
The years before that I had some great fishing but the conditions were good - cloudy and damp.
I think (hope) the Mayfly is only now beginning this year - and sometimes it takes a while for the fish to switch on to them - the bright , sunny weather of the last few weeks just wasn't the right conditions for a good hatch. The unsettled , showery weather forecast for this week is, in my experience, better suited to good Mayfly hatches on Corrib .I'll find out over the next few days.
The issue with small fish is due, I think, in part to angling pressure - some of the hotspots get an awful hammering at this time of year - the better fish just keep their heads down. I find that if you seek out parts of the Lough where there are few boats - you will get a better stamp of fish.

Last edited:

stylie

Hi Mackiia1,

I traveled Saturday, fished spots I pick normally pick fish up from Portacarron to the back of Inchaquinn almost into Ballycurrin. I just think over the last number of years the fish dont go on them that way they used too. I'm up for another few days at the end of the week aswell so fingers crossed.

jemo

I fished a competition on the corrib on sat for a deceased friend, the creel was appalling one nice fish for 9 rods...i am convinced that disturbance by boats has a huge bearing on the drop off in catches....a lot of gob$hites appear every year with no regard for anybody else ploughing all over the lake cutting across drifts spoiling it for everybody. i am fortunate enough to be retired so i only fish during the week when there are less boats and IMPROVED catches....boat disturbance is a huge factor in ruining fishing particularly for big fish...

mackiia1

I fished a competition on the corrib on sat for a deceased friend, the creel was appalling one nice fish for 9 rods...i am convinced that disturbance by boats has a huge bearing on the drop off in catches....a lot of gob$hites appear every year with no regard for anybody else ploughing all over the lake cutting across drifts spoiling it for everybody. i am fortunate enough to be retired so i only fish during the week when there are less boats and IMPROVED catches....boat disturbance is a huge factor in ruining fishing particularly for big fish...

I fished with a guy a few years back and on one drift we moved and caught a few fish . At the end of the drift he promptly turn the boat around and drove at full belt straight back up through the area where we had met the fish . He was scratching his head then as to why we didn't see a fish the second time around.:eek:mg:

seanie

I couldn't begin to count the number of times that happened is yesterday. My mate gave a shout across at one boat who drove across our drift. The boat man just shrugged his shoulders and gestured to us as if to say who do you think you are??? This is my lake

cmcf

Anyone else think this ?

The hatch the last few years have been poor and it probably down to the cold spring weather in recent years. If you get forst the fly dies and two years on you don't get a hatch. 2015 hatch was patchy and weather cold the last good hatch was 2014 and it blew a gale from the north most of may. 2013 forst well into may. I just don't think there is the sustained hatches this year or last to get the fish hooked on them. Fish came up to the adult duck fly in April if there is enough food for long enough the fish will come up

mackiia1

I couldn't begin to count the number of times that happened is yesterday. My mate gave a shout across at one boat who drove across our drift. The boat man just shrugged his shoulders and gestured to us as if to say who do you think you are??? This is my lake

One word - Pr1ck:mad:

jemo

There is no doubt in my mind that the feeding habit of trout has changed.In 1998 on the weekend of the good friday agreement we had over 100 fish to the boat for 2 rods over 3 days, the best fish 3.75lb with many over 2lb. This happened on Carra, a lake that then had a reputation for free rising fish and a good mayfly hatch...fishing Carra now you would be lucky to encounter a fish during the day.The character of the lake has also changed with the invasion of weed over the marl the fish have become bottom feeders, unfortunately

Ray of Hope

Going down tomorrow to fish the Corrib out of Oughterard. Any recommendations on flies? Wet and/or Dries?

Thanks in advance,

Ray.

stylie

Pull wets, Octupus on the top dropper and mayfly patterns down the leader. Maybe dabbler on the tail. I wouldn't touch the dries till you see fish feeding on Mays, fished them blind Saturday and not a rise. Every fish came to the Octupus so that shows the mood they were in.

Ray of Hope

Pull wets, Octupus on the top dropper and mayfly patterns down the leader. Maybe dabbler on the tail. I wouldn't touch the dries till you see fish feeding on Mays, fished them blind Saturday and not a rise. Every fish came to the Octupus so that shows the mood they were in.

Did you use a floating or intermediate line?

stylie

Did you use a floating or intermediate line?

I think most guys are using intermediates, Kelly Green seems real popular. We used them at the start of the month but last Saturday I switched to a floater, not that it mattered much, and tomorrow I will start with a floater as well. Maybe a tip to get it down a few inches. But depends on the fish, maybe they are rising and I can fish dries all day :)

Latest posts