Lough Corrib

pearlydabbler

Made the wise decision to stay at home....fly gone by all accounts and with that heat it's likely that we must wait for another year.

mattcullen

Did a last minute trip and fished it this morning with a mate around Oughterard. I rose a few on dries but didn't land any . He fished wets but no joy. conditions didn't seem bad. We had some cloud and drizzle and a breeze on and off. Heard a few fish were caught by others so it may well have just been bad angling on our part! That,s it for me for mayfly for another year. May try Corrib in Septemer. Hear it can be good then with wet fly? Oh, saw **** all may fly by the way

ozzcraig

Could anyone recommend a b&b or somewhere to stay near corrib that is responsible money? Planing a trip down very soon
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

jefski1

Just returned from a week, very few fly about a few mayfly and olives only see three fish rise all week but managed fish every day apart from one on wet mayfly patterns. Conditions very good but was amazed at the lack of boats on the Lough. One major hatch of Caineas but were on the back end of the wind and were blown away from the Lough.

stylie

Just back after 4 days fishing. Very poor, good enough weather but only small trout. A dozen each day upto 14in. The odd rise of what might be better fish. 8 days in May the same story, lots of small fish and a sprinkling of 2lb'ers. Really poor compare to years past.

Also any one notice a lot of lice on the fish ? Trout were covered in them, to the point where the dorsal and adipose fans were showing damage.

Also need suggestions for new leader material, Riverge just insta twisting droppers at 7lb. Grand Max the same at 8.2. Maybe I got bad spools as I have never had twisting like this before, no matter what flies I fished.

johnW

Stylie,

Where were you fishing from. I heard there was Mayfly hatching on Ougherard side and some good fish being caught.

stylie

Oughterard side :)
Mayfly were coming up Friday and Saturday. Not in great numbers, but a few in the boat and I dapped with them and got a some small trout.
A lot more Olives and Sedge, big numbers of both. But little or no natural rises and I didn't meet anyone with good fish. I fished until 11pm, evening rise lasted a few minutes and not worth the effort.
The best fishing I got was around Inchagoill, West and SW sides.

johnW

Thanks. Not what I expected :( Plan B then whatever that is...

JJ O Malley

Fished corrib on Thursday last. We started off with dries. Fishing around bog bay / porticarron area. The wind picked up in the afternoon so we switched to wets. We moved 25+ fish, mostly to the wets, and incredibly landed zero! We rose about 7 to the dries. I moved about 12 fish on wet mayfly and 3 on dries and didn't even bend the rod in one of them. Bizarre. I'd say 75% of what we rose were small fish but we did move a few decent lumps but could we hell get them to stick. We retired to the high stool at 6.30pm dejected. One of them days.. actually conditions were OK for most of the day. Thought I'd post an update.

Cheers.
JJ

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jemo

On salthouse yesterday...sunny calm conditions, had to resort to buzzer fishing...one nice fish and several hooked and lost...sadly the water quality on the corrib is deteriorating thanks in no small measure to the removal of agricultural quotas, it is now a free for all and the environment is suffering as a result...

JJ O Malley

Cheers Brian, interesting to know the buzzers work this time of the year..
I fished yesterday (Sunday), between Greenfields / Carramore shore / west side of rabbit island.. We fished dries for the day. It was pretty slow. We moved some fish, probably mostly smaller fish, I landed one near 1 3/4lbs and my partner broke in a big fish. Tough going, conditions were ok early on but got calm and then sunny towards the end of the day.

Cheers,
JJ

jemo

JJ, lots of small fish around inchagoill on thursday last.We fished dry sedges all day in sunny warm conditions, good sport but fish small...

stylie

Few fish seem to be getting caught, reports saying they are daphnia feeders. Do ye guys go beyond an intermediate for them ?

jemo

Stylie I use an intermediate for most of my wet fly fishing, on the odd occasion i will use a slow sinker early in the season.... for buzzer i use a floating line...

stylie

I am much the same, just wondering is anyone going deeper or is there a need for it. Or is 'daphia' feeder a bit of a loose term used for any trout caught over deep water.