Lough Derg Fishing

mackiia1

I would like to have a go at flyfishing Lough Derg - I am told that the mayfly are usually up by the end of April so would be very grateful if anyone has any info on locations to fish , fly patterns , boat hire etc. to offer.
Thanks in advance:thumbs:

shuck raider

End of April might be early, fly usually appears mid-May but with the warm spring you might be OK this year. Nearly everybody ties on a Grey Wulff but your standard mayfly dry patterns will work as well. Locals tend not to use wets but I've got 'em on Lough Erne/Melvin Straddlebugs in the past.

Luska Bay generally gets the first hatches, Dromineer Bay used to be good too but has tailed off lately for some reason. If you get a chance to fish the spent gnat, then Youghal Bay is the place. I'd keep away from Killaloe and O'Brien's Bridge as it can be dangerous for a boat if you don't know the area.

Lots of boat hire places around the lough, it really depends on where you're based but you'll get info on that in any of the local pubs. :thumbs:

paddy5

From what I've heard over the last few days fly is starting to come off already although not with any consistency given the cool down. PJ

mackiia1

theres a couple of bid blows forecast for this week - we badly need the rain but the fishing might have to wait for a while - lets hope it settles down again after the rain/ wind this week

tips

I would like to have a go at flyfishing Lough Derg - I am told that the mayfly are usually up by the end of April so would be very grateful if anyone has any info on locations to fish , fly patterns , boat hire etc. to offer.
Thanks in advance:thumbs:

The Mayfly is up on Lough Derg. We now call it the April Fly down here as global warming has made it appear a few week early over the last decade or so. It has appeared in the shallow parts of the lake, Dromineer Bay, Luska and Youghal Bay are the areas to fish now. Two of us had five small fish in Dromineer Bay on Sunday last, were there were good hatches. We met at least eight more - but they were all small. Hopefully the bigger boys will come up in the next few weeks. The season here should be full on in about a fortnight, spent gnat fishing included. Best of luck.

steve101

I'm going to be near lough derg at the end of the month and hope to get out on the lake for a day. I presume pulling wets will give me the biggest chance? Any particular flies worth trying?

I'll be staying in Terryglass - after reading various reports I'm thinking I should drive to Dromineer and hire a boat from there.

Last edited:

shuck raider

You might struggle for trout at the end of March - Derg is primarily a mayfly lough. Could be lucky and find an odd duckfly hole, or if the weather warms up (unlikely, according to the long range forecast) an olive hatch here and there. Maybe think about some pike on the fly in the shallower bays? They'll have spawned by then and should be feeding hard to regain condition.

sewinbasher

You might struggle for trout at the end of March - Derg is primarily a mayfly lough. Could be lucky and find an odd duckfly hole, or if the weather warms up (unlikely, according to the long range forecast) an olive hatch here and there. Maybe think about some pike on the fly in the shallower bays? They'll have spawned by then and should be feeding hard to regain condition.

I"m not sure you're reading the other posts, it seems that the mayfly is up and fish are being caught.

cmcf

The mayfly post is from 2012 and it was one of mildest winters in living memory in Ireland. With a normal winter this year you won't see a may fly till the last week in April.

steve101

Thanks Lads

I thought chances were low this early alright. If the weather is decent I'll probably go out for a few hours anyway seeing as I'll be up.

pik_joker

Hello to everybody ! I'll be mid September in the Mountshannon/Whitegate area for some pike fly fishing. Is there any hope to catch trout so late? If yes, what flies are the best?

Regards
Vlad

tips

Hello to everybody ! I'll be mid September in the Mountshannon/Whitegate area for some pike fly fishing. Is there any hope to catch trout so late? If yes, what flies are the best?

Regards
Vlad

Yes, there is some chance of catching trout on flies in September on Derg, though many of the locals don't try. Search out what they call "the middle ground" off Mountshannon Harbour. It's a shallow spot in the middle of the lake where daphnia feeders are up. Use colourful flies.
As for pike fly fishing - there are monsters to be had on good days. Best of luck.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Oh, and call to Giblin's pub in nearby Scariff and ask for Eamonn. He know all you need to know about fishing flies on Derg. And the pint is good too!!!