lough derg help

rutilus2007

Hi,as a new member can anyone give me any advice on fishing lough Derg? I will be visiting Ireland for the first time in August. Both my wife and I fish but we are pensioners and so not that nimble. We intend to fish the area both for trout and pike. any advice would be more than welcome.

chub1

Hi,as a new member can anyone give me any advice on fishing lough Derg? I will be visiting Ireland for the first time in August. Both my wife and I fish but we are pensioners and so not that nimble. We intend to fish the area both for trout and pike. any advice would be more than welcome.
Not been over to Ireland for a number of years now,but a link below might help.
Look up TJ O'Brien at Killaloe.Used him a couple of times when over there and he knows his stuff and is a genuine bloke.He guides and has a small tackle shop as well.Not trout fished there but the coarse fishing seemed to be on the wane when last over there .Plenty of bank fishing available around the general area of Killaloe up to Mountshannon and beyond.Lots of other lakes to try out in that area.
A small river running into the Shannon below the Killaloe area is the 'Mulcair.I am going back over 10 years now but it was cheap as chips to fish for Salmon
which we did,on the worm and spinner and it held trout and Had a small run of Sea trout.Logh Doon again in the general area of Killaloe has a good head of pike.

Fishing in Ireland. An angler's guide to the best fishing in Ireland.

Last edited:

haggstock

Again I've not been for a lot of years, only advice is if you take a lough boat please take care, the weather can turn and it is like being in the North Sea. Make sure you get a chart given if you rent a day boat. Mount Shannonc bay is worth a crack . Take a spinning rod and if you and if you move from place to place in a boat it's always worth trolling a Big S behind you there are pike as big as sharks in that Lough:whistle:

tips

I would hire a boat as it is the most effective way to fish Lough Derg. Boats can be hired in Scarriff (from a pub called Giblins) or from Killaloe (Jimmy Whelan's shop on Main Street).

Trout fishing has declined a lot on the lake in recent decades, so don't expect much. Fly fishing will not be productive. The fish in August feed mainly on roach and perch fry, so try trolling, if you can stick it!!!

As for pike, there are some very big pike in the lake and fishing is usually good. Trolling is best, or jerk baiting.