Lough Derg

Overheadkev

Thought I'd start a thread on the earliest mayfly lough in county Tipperary.
My local water.

A handful of mayfly have appeared, although the current Baltic blast will put off all but the hardiest anglers until the milder weekend kicks in.

Nobbled the only fish I saw rise on Sunday on a humpy, go figure

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

baztek1

That looks beautiful and the fish isnt so bad either. 👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mackiia1

Don't know Derg that well - only fished it a few times.
On one of those days I witnessed a massive hatch of Mayfly - there was a Mayfly on every square foot of water as far as the eye could see - amazingly , I didn't see a single fish rise.:confused:

Overheadkev

Yup, that happens.Though not nearly as often as it happens on Sheelin.There's a lough that broke me........

Wee Jimmy

Nicely marked fish Kev...:thumbs: Whats the thinking behind showing them a humpy instead of a closer imitation of the dun. I'm assuming it wasn't for standing out from the crowd purposes if there was only a light hatch going on...just curious...;)

Overheadkev

Er, it was top of the box. I didn't really expect to Chuck a dry fly this early

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Hatches now building with fish coming to wet flies.
Roll on the weekend.....

Overheadkev

Tomorrow's forecast is for wet and breezy conditions, on the back of building hatches it promises to be good wet fly weather. But I really long for dry fly later in the hatch.God,I love the month of may.Bird song is at its best, nature's ramping up the ante, and everything starts to look more alive...

Overheadkev

A new pb.......

The smallest lake trout I've ever caught
You can see the size 10 extended body mayfly in its mouth.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

The photo speaks for the quality of today's fishing, never good when you post scenery instead of results

Overheadkev

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Becalmed in bright sunshine and 21c, boiled. Left 3 behind in challenging conditions.My buddy jammy Finn sent me a pic of a 5lber he sold his soul for, it's the only explanation for catching in scalding sunshine

Overheadkev

19c, blazing sunshine and easterly winds have killed the fishing, fly hatches very poor
Forecast not great for the next few days,Aaaggghhh

mackiia1

I feel your pain Kev :(
Last year, Corrib was cursed by wall to wall sunshine , light winds and poor hatches - broke my fooking heart.
Could have went on the Buzzers but , to be honest , it does nothing for me.
I'm not good at Buzzer fishing because I don't like it and I don't like it because I'm not good at it - if you know what I mean.
Waiting for a change in the weather before I head up - next week hopefully.
Meanwhile :wine::wine::D

Overheadkev

Today saw a change from the scalding sunshine and high temperatures.There were decent hatches and even a fall of spent mayfly but few fish moved.Duffers fortnight my ****...
Tomorrow looks to be galed off, some tying and nursing of egos before the Saturday reset.Who said fishing was supposed to be fun.....

Last edited:

Overheadkev

After a week of sunshine and brisk easterly winds, today was cool and remained overcast all day.The hatch of mayfly can only be described as epic across the whole lough. Fish were slow to move, and then were active across the lough.The hatch of fly continued until 8pm, with a lot of fish seen and some even caught! Too cold for gnat this evening, but the predicted settled weather should now see some activity in the evenings as the spinners do the dance of love.

Last edited:

davefish

My experience of Derg is slightly different to most peoples. First visit was in 1987. Man I worked for was very wealthy and owned a fishery in Connemara which I looked after.

Every May a call was sent to London when the mayfly was up on Derg. The boys in the game deserted their posts in the cities around the world and headed to Derg within 24 hours. They bought their own island 60s-70s? And built a wooden house. Nothing can be seen from the lough. We pushed our boats through reeds 4-6' tall to a jetty. From there we walked through woods to the house. They stayed for two weeks, I for two days. I fished with them. Oh they were fun, really fun. I know their names Lord H for example but see no reason to tell. All gone now :( Nice folks who loved to fish for wild brown trout above everything else. Of course I miss them-madly.

Chris

Overheadkev

More scenery, which means poor fishing condition, poor hatches and challenging fishing.Missed a few, but sunburn and heat exhaustion did for me today

Overheadkev

A change in the weather to rain and wind kick started the mayfly hatches yesterday after a poor week.This 4lber fell to a detached body mayfly.Spent gnat fishing has been non existent with very few gnat after a poor week of hatches