Lough Owel

kildevil spider

Hi,

Going to fish this lake Saturday week, jsut wondering if anyone on here has any helpful information?

Never fished it before so any direction re - flies / set up / tactics would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KS

hobble

Banned
Banned
NO NATURAL STREAMS FOR THE TROUT TO SPAWN ON , THE LAKE DEPENDS ON ANNUAL RE STOCKING AND IS A FANTASTIC LOUGH TO FISH, PLENTY OF SHALLOWS , ISLANDS AND DROP OFFS, GETS A TREMENDOUS HATCH OF SEDGE FROM JULY ONWARDS, BUT WITHOUT DOUBT IS FAMOUS FOR THE MASSIVE HATCHES OF "GREEN PETER" WHICH BRING THE TROUT UP INTO THE EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING,
9FT OR 9FT 6 ROD 6 WEIGHT AND A FLOATING LINE, WILL COVER YOU FOR THE FISHING, BOATS ARE PLENTIFUL AND EASY TO HIRE , AND IF YOUR ON THE SHORE EARLY ENOUGH A LONE ANGLER ON A BOAT MIGHT JUST OFFER YOU A FREE SEAT AND GOOD FISHING, WATERPROOFS IS A MUST AS YOUR ENTERING INTO THE UNKNOWN IRISH SUMMER. LOL

ps WEAR A LIFE JACKET,

chickenfish

How often does the lough get stocked? I know it say annual but is it really just once a year?

Does it fish well during the day in late July?

Thanks in advance.

cax

NO NATURAL STREAMS FOR THE TROUT TO SPAWN ON ,

the wild trout in owel spawn in the out-flowing stream, but spawning capacity is very limited, so the stock of natural wild fish low. lough owel is a nice lough to fish and the stockies are easy peasy.........fishes well in a north wind.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

3 days without even a pull!

:eek::eek:you need to consider your wild trout tactics, carefully.......

hobble

Banned
Banned
Cax thats what i meant , the return from the migrating trout is very poor, in fact worse than that, numerous efforts have been made to encourage and enhance the trout to make their journey easier, unfortunately the high mortality rate means that stocking is a must ,

sheelin with its numerous rivers and feeder streams get a good run of spawning fish but its has been noted by the fisheries that on 1 of the streams no fish run up there at all, hopefully this can be reversed and the trout will soon work their magic on those redds.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

correct! :d

i just hope there are fish there for all the lads to catch. Our previous experinace of ireland hasn't been great with anglers fishing for 3 days without even a pull!
3 days without a pull...................... Get a ghillie..............:D:D:D

Red Diawl

Correct! :D

I just hope there are fish there for all the lads to catch. Our previous experinace of Ireland hasn't been great with anglers fishing for 3 days without even a pull!

phil Owl is a lovley lake it is gin clear and the fishing can be excellent. Its been a few years since ive been there but id definatly go back

kim.tribe.flyfishingwales

phil Owl is a lovley lake it is gin clear and the fishing can be excellent. Its been a few years since ive been there but id definatly go back

I`d second that, long time since I fished it as well but have a photo of a lot of fish being weighed in at an international this must have been late 80s early 90`s my mate Dai Norman from Neath won the Brown Bowl that day and not heard the last of it, in those days it held a combination of stock and wild fish

Also remember sharing a room with the late Dia Gildas Jones excellent and well respected Welsh angler and not getting any sleep as he could have snored for Wales as well.

orange dabbler

the wild trout in owel spawn in the out-flowing stream, but spawning capacity is very limited, so the stock of natural wild fish low. lough owel is a nice lough to fish and the stockies are easy peasy.........fishes well in a north wind.

I wouldnt say owel was easy peasy
You should look at past national results on it
and in the national Qualifier 121 anglers fished it and 41 of them caught fish

harveyangling

There is the youth international on Owel this August, what sort of flies fish during July / august? Looking forward to the trip with the Welsh lads

cax

I wouldnt say owel was easy peasy
You should look at past national results on it
and in the national Qualifier 121 anglers fished it and 41 of them caught fish

orange dabbler i meant that the stockies are easy enough to catch. at least i have found them easy enough to catch.
as for those national 'competitions'...:rolleyes:

cax

Believe me when the fishing pressure is on it the fish go down and probably the top anglers in Ireland fish the national Qualifiers etc
but it is a lovely lake

That's a big probably!, Many of the best anglers in Ireland and indeed other countries have little or no interest in competing in angling competitions. Hence many are happy to remain unknown in that circuit.
Owel is indeed a lovely lough, although not one of my favs.. i would prefer Ennell to Owel.

cax

There is the youth international on Owel this August, what sort of flies fish during July / august? Looking forward to the trip with the Welsh lads

It completely depends upon the weather conditions on the day in question, but it is sedge time, a daddy is always worth a swim or two in August.

Latest posts