Lough Owel

oakham orange

Owel can be tough enough in competitions, due to the fishing pressure of practise etc, but i hear there has been 40,000 brown stocked this year already, so id say youve a better chance of getting a few pulls on Owel, than you have on somewhere like Ennell. :) or some of the other wild loughs in ireland. As usual, it all depends on the conditions on the day.

cax

Owel can be tough enough in competitions, due to the fishing pressure of practise etc, but i hear there has been 40,000 brown stocked this year already, so id say youve a better chance of getting a few pulls on Owel, than you have on somewhere like Ennell. :) or some of the other wild loughs in ireland. As usual, it all depends on the conditions on the day.

40,000 headless chickens, sorry i mean stockies, sure thats not fishing at all.

oakham orange

40,000 headless chickens, sorry i mean stockies, sure thats not fishing at all.
It sure is, especially when the fish become grown on and eventually mend up.

Unfortunately, i feel stockies is the answer for many loughs in Ireland, that have seen falling stocks of wild trout. Especially a lough that has plenty of competitions. A lot of the midland loughs like Lene, Sheelin, Bane and Owel have been revived thru hard work from the clubs and their stocking policies :thumbs: Personally I would love to see Owel heavily stocked with Rainbow trout. It has the potential to become something that we dont currently have in Ireland, ie the equivalent of Monteith, Rutland, Brenig. A top competition water with hard fighting rainbow trout. And with a comp water like that, it might just take competition pressure off some of the other wild fisheries.:thumbs:

cax

It sure is, especially when the fish become grown on and eventually mend up.

Unfortunately, i feel stockies is the answer for many loughs in Ireland, that have seen falling stocks of wild trout. Especially a lough that has plenty of competitions. A lot of the midland loughs like Lene, Sheelin, Bane and Owel have been revived thru hard work from the clubs and their stocking policies :thumbs: Personally I would love to see Owel heavily stocked with Rainbow trout. It has the potential to become something that we dont currently have in Ireland, ie the equivalent of Monteith, Rutland, Brenig. A top competition water with hard fighting rainbow trout. And with a comp water like that, it might just take competition pressure off some of the other wild fisheries.:thumbs:
i cant agree with you at all, each lough is different and should be considered differently. In no way whatsoever will stockies be the answer for 'many' loughs. The minority possibly, but not many.

Take lough Ennell for example, the IFI throughout the 70s 80s and early 90s have put over three million stockies into that lough yet now when they carry out a genetic stock survey they can not find any genetic trace of those fish worth talking about. ie they are largely gone and leave no lineage.

The IFI are doing a survey on sheelin and its a good bet to assume they arrive at the same conclusion regarding the stockies. Waste of time and money. Which should be better of spent developing and protecting spawning facilities. Which is the route followed by the LSTPA that has beared fruit in recent years.

I do agree that a good rainbow fishery well managed would be no harm. Of the loughs Lene would be a good rainbow fishery (but its too small), and i agree that Owel with its limited spawning facilities should also be considered, but there are reservations about the affect on the natural brown trout.

We have a big reservoir already...what about Blessington as a rainbow fishery? I don't know it at all but surely it would suffice, or is it too deep? Surely its a under used resource?

As for these 'competitions' on wild loughs i just hate them with a passion, the loughs are not suited to that type of high pressure fishing.

tips

Sad to say that I feel some Irish wild trout lakes should be stocked as trout numbers have been devastated not only because anglers are killing too many fish, but changing biodiversity of the lakes due to invasive species like roach,zebra mussel, etc., and climate change are all impacting negatively on wild trout stocks.

Lough Derg, for instance, has been useless over the past several years. There has been an explosion in the roach population and a consequent decrease in trout catches, not to mention the impacts of water quality, zebra mussels, Asian clam etc.

In my experience the streams and rivers running into the lake don't have the capacity to produce a sustainable level of wild trout stock to match the numbers anglers are taking out of the lake. When a hatchery was opened by a club in the late 1990s, wild trout fishing improved dramatically for a few years. But it has now declined dramatically again because the authorities decided hatcheries are not the way to go and the facility was closed.

A study done on Ennell a few years ago showed that the introduction of stockies in previous decades did not impact on the genetic integrity of fish, so there is some solace in this (But a question here: how can we know that the unique genetic species showing up in studies are not the descendants of the stockies of the 1970s? For instance, the gilaroo which was an Ice age native of Derg now seems to be extinct; who is to say that the trout that are in the lake now are not descendants of stockies put in in their tens of thousands in the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 1980s)

With sadness I have conceded now that there are a few lakes where we have to admit that restoring wild trout to a sustainable level is unattainable, given all the negative environmental impacts on some waters and the reluctance of so many anglers to adopt catch and release.
For the sake of boosting local tourism and keeping anglers catching fish, I say lets select the most compromised lakes. Admit the game is up on producing sustainable wild trout stocks. Stock them, I argue.

lubagh

I have the Leinster Qualifiers on Lough Owel on the 15th April, plus I will try to get up there at least once for a practice day...

It's is a tough place to fish, and as mentioned before when fished hard, the fish go deep...

orange dabbler

I feel the sam as you OO Places like Derravaragh could do with stockies however there are plenty of fish in Ennell and i would not touch it

cax

In my experience the streams and rivers running into the lake don't have the capacity to produce a sustainable level of wild trout stock to match the numbers anglers are taking out of the lake. When a hatchery was opened by a club in the late 1990s, wild trout fishing improved dramatically for a few years. But it has now declined dramatically again because the authorities decided hatcheries are not the way to go and the facility was closed.
i know nothing of lough Derg. However if any lough does not have spawning stream capacity then wild stock will always be low. To me the closing of the hatchery was a big mistake.

As i said earlier each lough must be considered differently, they are all different in so many ways. The vast majority of loughs are not suitable for stockies as they offer nothing in a wild fishery this is proven beyond all doubt. I would much prefer to see the money going into A- stream rehabilitation or B- a brood stock hatchery.

stockies are a short term thing, i fear to use the word solution, because they are not even a short term solution. I have caught them in Sheelin and owel they are no challenge to a real game angler at all, catching them things does not count in my opinion.

so many anglers seem in favour of C&R now yet we still have 'bag limits' and weigh in's at competitions.

Instead of dumping those headless chickens into a lough why not legally enforce C&R, or a ban on killing of wild trout.

oakham orange

Sad to say that I feel some Irish wild trout lakes should be stocked as trout numbers have been devastated not only because anglers are killing too many fish, but changing biodiversity of the lakes due to invasive species like roach,zebra mussel, etc., and climate change are all impacting negatively on wild trout stocks.

Lough Derg, for instance, has been useless over the past several years. There has been an explosion in the roach population and a consequent decrease in trout catches, not to mention the impacts of water quality, zebra mussels, Asian clam etc.

A study done on Ennell a few years ago showed that the introduction of stockies in previous decades did not impact on the genetic integrity of fish, so there is some solace in this (But a question here: how can we know that the unique genetic species showing up in studies are not the descendants of the stockies of the 1970s? For instance, the gilaroo which was an Ice age native of Derg now seems to be extinct; who is to say that the trout that are in the lake now are not descendants of stockies put in in their tens of thousands in the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 1980s)

With sadness I have conceded now that there are a few lakes where we have to admit that restoring wild trout to a sustainable level is unattainable, given all the negative environmental impacts on some waters and the reluctance of so many anglers to adopt catch and release.
For the sake of boosting local tourism and keeping anglers catching fish, I say lets select the most compromised lakes. Admit the game is up on producing sustainable wild trout stocks. Stock them, I argue.
Wise words :)

oakham orange

I feel the sam as you OO Places like Derravaragh could do with stockies however there are plenty of fish in Ennell and i would not touch it

Mate ive never fished Ennell, so cant comment. Loughs like Owel and Lene are ideal for competition loughs and should be stocked as much as possible with Rainbow trout (not browns). Loughs like Sheelin, Erne, Mask , Corrib, Conn etc should always be maintained as wild fisheries where possible, with additional hatchery work from the local clubs etc to help our wild loughs. And as many comps as possible should move to c&r.

Paddy, you know my views on the International comp scence. Apart from the odd match, Ireland are continually embarrassed at Internationals away from home and they are continually picking up spoon after spoon after spoon. One of the reasons for this is the qualifying system, but another major reason is, that us Irish anglers dont have an irish equivalant of Rutland etc where we can increase out rainbow skills especially with sunk line fishing. Lough Owel would be the perfect place to do this, and most qualifying comps could be held on it. But with the politics of fishing and comp fishing i cant see this happening in my or your lifetime. So nothing will change. Its sad because there are less and less kids taking up the sport. The future is pretty bleak. :(

Last edited:

tips

i know nothing of lough Derg. However if any lough does not have spawning stream capacity then wild stock will always be low. To me the closing of the hatchery was a big mistake.

As i said earlier each lough must be considered differently, they are all different in so many ways. The vast majority of loughs are not suitable for stockies as they offer nothing in a wild fishery this is proven beyond all doubt. I would much prefer to see the money going into A- stream rehabilitation or B- a brood stock hatchery.

stockies are a short term thing, i fear to use the word solution, because they are not even a short term solution. I have caught them in Sheelin and owel they are no challenge to a real game angler at all, catching them things does not count in my opinion.

so many anglers seem in favour of C&R now yet we still have 'bag limits' and weigh in's at competitions.

Instead of dumping those headless chickens into a lough why not legally enforce C&R, or a ban on killing of wild trout.
Like you Cax, I think closing the hatchery was a big mistake. As for catch and release, Irish anglers still have a long way to go to fully embrace the concept, unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Like you Cax, I think closing the hatchery on Derg was a big mistake. As for catch and release, we have a long way to go before the concept is embraced by the majority of anglers in this country, unfortunately.

cax

Mate ive never fished Ennell, so cant comment. Loughs like Owel and Lene are ideal for competition loughs and should be stocked as much as possible with Rainbow trout (not browns). Loughs like Sheelin, Erne, Mask , Corrib, Conn etc should always be maintained as wild fisheries where possible, with additional hatchery work from the local clubs etc to help our wild loughs. And as many comps as possible should move to c&r.
I could not agree more.:thumbs:

I would go on to say that ALL competitions with no exceptions should be C&R. i am glad to see that this international competition on Sheelin will be C&R.