Lough Sheelin

rockslider

IFI had a report up that the going is slow, but what is being caught is a very large average size. That was last week though!

bogwoppit

I was on there at the weekend, a good few olives about but the trout were locked on to the mountains of buzzer.
I've never seen balling buzzer as big, they were 3 inches in diameter which is kind of hard to imitate and the fish didn't really want anything else.
I got one fish around 6lbs and a couple of smaller ones.

cax

Patchy as normal at the moment. Good and bad days. Its all down to the weather.

kildevil spider

Was sure I'd have reports of mayfly on Sheelin by now. Guess things are a little late with the cold weather through April. But any day now they'll appear I'm sure.. Going up Tuesday / Wednesday. First day out this year, can't wait!

johnW

Make sure you have your permit as bailiffs were on the case last weekend.

kildevil spider

Was on Sheelin yesterday, patchy Mayfly hatches, (probably as much sedge and olives hatching) fishing was patchy too. Some even saw no fish for the day others I spoke to happened on great spots of fishing in short bursts. I was lucky to land a nice 3lb fish on a wet mayfly pattern. Would say that the hatch never really took off in earnest! Its all ahead of us... Any day now :) Going next week again.

bogwoppit

Heading out at the weekend myself, whereabouts did you come across the fish?

The hatch should be starting in earnest now alright, hawthorn flower is in full bloom.

kildevil spider

Hi Bogwoppit, caught him at the back of Church Island and just continued the drift to the shore from there. My mate lost a great fish at the end of that drift. He showed his tail twice shame we didn't get to see him in the bottom of the boat. Today is a kinder day and weather supposed to get milder and warmer so will be good at the weekend I reckon

kildevil spider

I didn't stay to fish the buzzer, all the locals were heading out at 830 at night to fish them. Supposed to be getting good fish on them at the moment.

As bogwoppit says the balling buzzer is pretty simple fly!

cax

Up to now mayfly fishing has been poor, been on the lough several times and best trout on mayfly dries about 4lb, very poor mayfly hatches so far and no gnat.
decent hatches of buzzer late though.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

hi all, what patterns do you use to imitate the balling buzzer phenomenon??
Its very simple really.
This is what i use.

size 10 or 12 hook, B170.
Thread olive.
Rib: clear mono 3lb or so, something fairly fine.
Body: natural grey seals fur, other colours like olive can be used.
Full palmered body hackle is silver badger or olive grizzle can be used.
Leave small spaces between the wraps of the palmered hackle.
I dont use a shoulder hackle.

a small balling pattern, size 12, works good for single skating buzzers in the evening time.

kildevil spider

Hi gentleman, anybody been out on Sheelin on the last few days? My mate had a 4lb fish Saturday, saw a lot of action on the surface. Yesterday was pretty wild I'd imagine. I'm going up Wednesday evening and Thursday so I'll report back then.

the wulff

up yesterday - pretty grim came off at 2.00, wind getting progressively worse - very few mayfly - hope to try again on sunday!!! improvement in the weather should help over the next few days, that NW wind should be gone, I hope I was blown arond corrib for a week 2 weeks ago !!!