Lough Sheelin

Ephemera

Hi Spider,
fished it for 3 full days last week up to Thursday with cool, squally weather. Saw one massive hatch off the point of Derry and Rusheen at around 3pm. Remember the carpets of spent? well just picture that with hatching fly and not a fish in sight!!! We did have some big fish but the majority were caught blind using dry green and yellow mayfly and Wulff patterns.
Wish I was there with this warmer settled weather coming on. :(

Jonesy

kildevil spider

Quick but miserable update. Went up Wednesday evening was hoping for good conditions which we got and the amount of spent gnat was incredible, a complete carpet of it. But the fish weren't up well not at the rate you would expect. There was the odd fish taking a sporadic fly here and there nothing that you could say they were really "on". Then yesterday there was some fly hatching round Church and Derrysheridan but no action. Was disappointing. Then round 6 the spent started to go out but stopped, some fish started moving for that short burst but stopped as quick. Was really disappointing as you always wish for good conditions etc and we got them, we also had plenty fly but the fish were lethargic, probably stuffed :) No fish landed was the reality and no excuses either! Must try harder :)

sewinbasher

Gentlemen, I haven't been to Sheelin for a few years but I follow events as I love (and hate) the place. I wonder if the reluctance of the fish to rise in what seems to be a year of heavy hatches might be down to gorging on what must be a huge number of nymphs and thus are keeping their heads down.

jack01986

Heading down to fish tomorrow afternoon. The wind seems to be dropping off for tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

Overheadkev

Spent 4 days there over the last two weeks, awful.No surface action despite some good hatches.Made lough derg look positively easy. Will go back in August and have a crack at the sedge fishing though

Ephemera

Gentlemen, I haven't been to Sheelin for a few years but I follow events as I love (and hate) the place. I wonder if the reluctance of the fish to rise in what seems to be a year of heavy hatches might be down to gorging on what must be a huge number of nymphs and thus are keeping their heads down.

Agreed, we can only imagine how much food there is available on or near the bottom. Why they do honour us occasionally by switching to feed at the top of the water is a mystery. It is small wonder that they get so big, that and the fact that catch and release is pactised frequently.
Cant wait till next year.
Jonesy

jack01986

Spent most of the day on the water. No fish for either of us in the boat. I saw one fish move the entire time. There was plenty of fly life about but I imagine they were feeding down deep like the other have alluded to.

cax

The large hatches of mayfly have been consistent for a while now, over 10 years, so it is not that. The long term (10-15 years +) affects of the zebra mussel have yet to be established. What we have witnessed this year is worrying.

the wulff

I was on Sheelin yesterday, spent the afternoon around Derrysheridan and Church Island, I seen one boat loose a fish - Spent went out arond 5 - I saw 2 trout all evening - went over to Chambers Bay at 8pm the was a lot of boats sitting in, nothing happened, no spent or sedges - We left at 9.30, very worrying, The NW wind is wrecking it !!!

kildevil spider

I was on Sheelin yesterday, spent the afternoon around Derrysheridan and Church Island, I seen one boat loose a fish - Spent went out arond 5 - I saw 2 trout all evening - went over to Chambers Bay at 8pm the was a lot of boats sitting in, nothing happened, no spent or sedges - We left at 9.30, very worrying, The NW wind is wrecking it !!!
Its kinda odd in ways you feel like its about to take off but just doesn't happen. I'll go up the weekend again to chance my arm. I feel like any day it will explode into life but on the flip side it may not happen at all. Sounds very much like my experience last weds / thurs...

jack01986

Thats pretty much exactly what we did. Spoke to one guy who caught a fish he said he was just blind casting a spent pattern and hooked into one.

Last edited:

the wulff

2 of my buddies are up this evening - I will let you know how they get on, In a strange way I am thinking of going up one the evenings this week as it gets a bit warmer, its a bit of a hike but we live in hope that we might get it right, my brother calls fishing a" disease with no cure" !!!

the wulff

My buddies had one trout 3.5lb, fishing blind - no much action last night - a lot of boats around Kilnahard point - Tempted to go up this evenninig !!!

the wulff

Went up yesterday evening - Spent went out around 8.00 was nt massive quantities but enough, seen 2 trout feeding - too far away from us. 30 or so boats out didnt see anyone getting fish, left in Despair at 10.30pm

sewinbasher

When I used to fish Sheelin and she was being difficult we used to nip over to Ennell where the fish were often more obliging if they were on Welshman's Button. Then back to Sheelin to try again!

jack01986

Went up yesterday evening - Spent went out around 8.00 was nt massive quantities but enough, seen 2 trout feeding - too far away from us. 30 or so boats out didnt see anyone getting fish, left in Despair at 10.30pm
Head wrecking stuff.

Overheadkev

Mr wulff, I feel your pain. Got one last trout on a gnat sunday on lough derg though, which put a smile on my face after the previous 4 days on Sheelin

kildevil spider

Sounds very familiar, my mate is up this evening so will be interesting, still waiting for a day when I hear of good fishing on Sheelin this year...Going up Sunday so hoping for an optimistic report :whistle: