Lough Sheelin

mackiia1

I feel your pain guys - I just cant believe that with this nice settled spell of weather , ye are not getting great gnat fishing.
And my pain is that the Caenis are pouring off on Corrib every morning with the last few days , and I can't get up there due to work.:eek:mg:
As sure as I have a hole in my ar5e, it will pi55 rain with howling wind as soon as I get a few days off.:mad:

the wulff

Do you think the Mayfly is going off, Thinking of going up Sunday but dont want the hardship of the previous 2 outings ??

Overheadkev

It's hard to know.Sheelin fish really did not switch on to the dun or gnats properly this year for whatever reason, and I heard lots of dodgy reasons from water temperature to wind direction etc.We're caught steadily on lough derg from the last week in April so I don't buy the weather excuse. Moody!

kildevil spider

Went up to Sheelin to top up my tan yesterday ! Bright sunshine all day, spent started going out about 6 round Crover and steadily til maybe 9. Fish never really came on strong at all. Lost a decent fish, the excitement of seeing something take got the better of me, was too heavy handed and lost him after a few mins :-( Still managed to get a trout (only a pound) before finishing which saved a blank but the fact that I chucked out my fly and my line snagged on my boot and he took it beside the boat ! Cant claim any skill on this on! Not many boats out, there were maybe 6/7 round Crover fishing spent!

Overheadkev

Congrats on nobbling one of those moody Sheelin buggers, they broke my heart this year.Was there many spent left?

kildevil spider

There was enough spent going out is the best way of putting it. Plenty on the water to get them feeding and not so much that you hadn't a chance ! At no stage could you say there was millions going out but steady trickle from bout 6pm

Octopus

Managed two but there was very little activity on the lake.
Seen about 4/5 boats on the lake and there were more boats than fly on the water.
Wouldn't be in a rush out until there's reports of mayfly.

the wulff

Any News of Sheelin, I hear the may fly is starting, I am thinking of heading up later this week

the wulff

On Sheelin at the weekend, hard work plenty of fly - Thunder didnt help Talking to a few lads - its not fishing great

kildevil spider

Was on it Saturday too, poor fishing. Was a few fish moving when we first went out was lovely and dull at the time but when sun came out trout went down. They came on again round 6 or 7 and when spent went out they were pretty active. Even in a thurdery shower they continued to feed which surprised me. Lots of splashy takes on the surface not that slow moving feeding you'd prefer to see, my mate hooked and broke off in a good fish. To make things worse I sat on his sage z axis and broke the tip :eek:mg: not a good day! But still that's fishin hope to get out again shortly.

the wulff

I lost a fish myself early, I was around Church and Corru, there was a lot of boats, I hoped to see more action, I heading up tomorrow, but will probably leave it late. Where were you fishing ? At least it wasnt your rod that got sat on!!!

kildevil spider

We started just outside Crover and drifted along until sun came out. Then went out into the middle and dragged a few wets.

Around 6 we headed back in to wait for the spent fly and joined the floatilla of boats anchored up! Another sign of how well it was fishing at the time.

Once spent started moving we just pushed off again and got into a slick that tooks down nearly to Church and got off the lake around 10.

My mate is there today so I'll let ye know how its going. Not holding much hope with that sun!