Lough Sheelin

the wulff

I was on Sheelin yesterday, the afternoon was a write off- I drifted out from Church Island around 6 just to get out of the Sun and into the cooler breeze!! Fishing blind - I had a trout just shy of 4lb, No other action till after Nine where there was a decent rise of fish for about an hour, they don't give themselves up easily, I didn't see any fish being caught, they completely ignored my spent, One brazen trout took another Spent not six inches from my fly, ignored mine and went on his merry way. Talking to a few lads up there the concensus is the fishing is poor enough, the slight change in wind direction might help. Anyway I will give it another bash at the weekend.

the wulff

Sheelin was a write off at the weekend - short rise saturday night, no stir Sunday night - No fish - Lost my net and broke my phone so its one of those times where you question the logic of flyfishing !!!

kildevil spider

Oh no! Hearing a lot of reports of poor fishing. Need a change in this weather cycle to stir things up IMO. Hope the fly continue to come off to extend the season cos I'm confident in saying its poor so far. Fly has been great, trout scarce!!

ryburn

Re: Lough Sheelin and the Irish midland loughs.

Is there anyone who has news of Sheelin this season. The IFI reports sound as though this year the season on the lough is late with most fish still on buzzers and olives. Probably still a bit soon for the mayfly, but a few days of nice warm weather and warm nights would help a lot I guess (I wish). Does anyone know if the fly is up on L.Ramor yet?

mattcullen

Re: Lough Sheelin and the Irish midland loughs.

Is there anyone who has news of Sheelin this season. The IFI reports sound as though this year the season on the lough is late with most fish still on buzzers and olives. Probably still a bit soon for the mayfly, but a few days of nice warm weather and warm nights would help a lot I guess (I wish). Does anyone know if the fly is up on L.Ramor yet?
Haven't heard. Is Lough Ramor mainly spent gnat fishing? ALways thought of it as pike venue but never fished it. Interested now..

jack01986

I was out yesterday on the lake. There was nothing happening all day till around six when the fish started taking mayfly off the surface. Didn't actually land any but had a few get off the hook.

the wulff

On Sheelin last night, Another Blank, the was plenty of fly around and a few fish rising but no great stir of feeding trout - will try again at the weekend

Ephemera

Had a friend fishing it last week out of Crover house, must have had some huge hatches by the sound of it reminiscent of the early 90's. I'ts tough fishing when there are that many spent on the water the chances of yours being selected are slim. Some big fish to be had for sure if you are lucky enough. I remember fishing until midnight once to catch my first fish of the day, 1lb it was,
theres no justice.
Jonesy

sewinbasher

I was on Sheelin on Saturday evening, also out of Crover. There was a massive amount of gnat on the water in the lee of Carreg quite early (8ish) but a change in breeze direction seemed to kill it. We went back towards the harbour and sat as the light faded. About 10:30 a very few fish came up and seemed to be moving fast, rising four or five times in quick succession then going down.

stylie

Forgot to update this.

Fished out of Crover June 20th. 3 trout, two over 4lb on dry green mayfly pattern, one small. Lost one 10lb apprx. Fishing dry's blind all day as what fish rose did not stay on the top.
First fish caught just before lunch, second around 4pm. Lost the big one around 6pm, did not stay out much longer after I lost him.