Low, low water

codyarrow

About three weeks to go and there is not a drop of water forecast for the coming week. Went out today purely because I have only been out 3 times this year.
Went to the upper part of the river and had the river to myself. Expect many more fish are in the tidal lower reaches with the last small spate being nearly 2 months ago.
About 6 inch trickles of water between the pools and big weed build up, even if there is a spate it will be dirty. Decided to try upstream nymph with an icelandic pattern. Caught a trout in the first pool and observed a grilse that looked to be taking sedges? Moved on a few hundred yards and found the next pool stuffed with fish, but no takers. The next pool was the last one to fish before turning around and fishing downstream to the van. No much sign of life but literally on the point of turning around I hooked a fish about 4- 5lb. Had it on for a couple of minutes before it bolted into the reed bed and was gone.
Quick coffee, change of fly and back down to the pool full of fish. Stealthy as possible I still caused a commotion. Every fish set every other fish off, looked like a stock pond and the water turned chocolate with disturbance. Looked more like a tench water, with bubbles everywhere. Had 2 fish surge towards the fly bow waving, both declining at the last second.

And that was it. No fish but good to be out.

bobmiddlepoint

I noticed the great deluge last week didn't reach you over there, it didn't really arrive here either with only a foot of water an that has all gone now.
Possibly frosty nights on the way so maybe some early morning kipper bashing is on the cards...

I hear there was a fish kill about a mile above Wick and it might have been poison too, any news on that?

Andy

codyarrow

Told there was several dead fish in one area. Not heard of any confirmed reason.

Noodles

It has been a frustrating spell since late July with no rise in levels at all, but with plenty of fish on the go all that is needed is a good stiff gale and a micro tube and I would fancy my chances,

GEK79

About three weeks to go and there is not a drop of water forecast for the coming week. Went out today purely because I have only been out 3 times this year.
Went to the upper part of the river and had the river to myself. Expect many more fish are in the tidal lower reaches with the last small spate being nearly 2 months ago.
About 6 inch trickles of water between the pools and big weed build up, even if there is a spate it will be dirty. Decided to try upstream nymph with an icelandic pattern. Caught a trout in the first pool and observed a grilse that looked to be taking sedges? Moved on a few hundred yards and found the next pool stuffed with fish, but no takers. The next pool was the last one to fish before turning around and fishing downstream to the van. No much sign of life but literally on the point of turning around I hooked a fish about 4- 5lb. Had it on for a couple of minutes before it bolted into the reed bed and was gone.
Quick coffee, change of fly and back down to the pool full of fish. Stealthy as possible I still caused a commotion. Every fish set every other fish off, looked like a stock pond and the water turned chocolate with disturbance. Looked more like a tench water, with bubbles everywhere. Had 2 fish surge towards the fly bow waving, both declining at the last second.

And that was it. No fish but good to be out.
Glad you got to stretch the legs.. Seriously low water.. Good effort..

Noodles

Wha a lovely colour.
That's what I thought, some cocks can go black with the peat stained water we get on many highland rivers and look rather uuninspiring but this fella looked good, did manage one of those black as the ace of spades ones last night.

bobmiddlepoint

Lucky bugger!
It’s all come a week late for us although it’s good to see the fish heading for the hills today.

codyarrow

Country wedding gets smaller year on year. Getting folk interested in outdoorsy stuff seems to be a lost cause.

Anyone up North hear the boom about 3 0'clock? Sonic boom / military?

Latest posts