Loynton Trout Fishery

SJY

We've been having some great fishing hear during the past 5 weeks, numerous good catches and several big trout well into double figures. All fish have fought like demons, everyone in mint condition.

Most action is to fry patterns currently as the rainbows binge on small roach, buzzers also picking up some good fish. The fishery has a new basic website, but the report is updated regularly, always useful!:)

Web address : - http://www.loyntontroutfisheries.co.uk/

SJY

A quick update, I've just had a cracking afternoon's sport here fishing a really good buzzer hatch, catching well on small dries, wets and pupa patterns in black. Also a few fish moving to a sedge hatch at lunch time.:)

Lowe7273

"£35 for a 4 fish ticket"...:eek: Have your prices always been this high or have they recently increased?

royvs

James,

The last and actually, only time I was there they did allow C&R after you had your limit. Inevitably, my four were pretty average fish but as soon as I was on C&R I latched onto a lunker that must have been a near double!

SJY

royvs said:
James,

The last and actually, only time I was there they did allow C&R after you had your limit. Inevitably, my four were pretty average fish but as soon as I was on C&R I latched onto a lunker that must have been a near double!

Roy, why is it the big ones always do that?:eek:

Steve

Lowe7273

royvs said:
James,

how typical is that...:D

JeffR

I just live round the corner from Loynton...

...but I gotta say i reckon Ellerdine is better, sorry folks

Fished Ellerdine on Sunday - had 8, biggest 2 were 8lb and 6lb and that was probably just average for the day. I've always had more and bigger fish there than from Loynton, its cheaper, and its a nicer venue (ok, it doesn't have a fancy lodge, but I'm talking about the lakes). I'll admit I haven't fished Loynton for a while though, buts that because I think it is overpriced compared to other local fisheries. Annoying really as its literally 5 minutes up the road!

SJY

JeffR said:
I just live round the corner from Loynton...

...but I gotta say i reckon Ellerdine is better, sorry folks

Fished Ellerdine on Sunday - had 8, biggest 2 were 8lb and 6lb and that was probably just average for the day. I've always had more and bigger fish there than from Loynton, its cheaper, and its a nicer venue (ok, it doesn't have a fancy lodge, but I'm talking about the lakes). I'll admit I haven't fished Loynton for a while though, buts that because I think it is overpriced compared to other local fisheries. Annoying really as its literally 5 minutes up the road!

Sounds like a good day's fishing to me Jeff and as you say a nice venue too.

Prices over at Loynton though are not that much more (£5 average) unless you are on a 4-5 fish ticket. For that and it's close proximity, perhaps Loynton's worth a try once in a while? Just don't rely on guineas, too many anglers do and the trout know all about them!

The other bonus is during quiet spells on cold days that fancy lodge is a great place to warm up, have a drink and restore prior to hitting the water for the next feeding spell.:)

Tight Lines

Steve

JeffR

I do drop in every now and then Steve - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its bad, I just think I prefer Ellerdine at the moment, plus there's more water to go at. The Loynton lodge is top notch though:)

As you say, I don't tend to use Guineas - if for no other reason that everyone else does! Last time I went (a while ago I'll admit), I think I had quite a lot of success on a "viva" style hare's ear nymph I developed for Haweswater brownies (black hare's ear body, green tag tail, gold head). I'd be more inclined to fish Loynton in the week, when its quieter (ie when you're not crossing lines with the next angler on Black Dog!) Mind you, now you've put the thought in my head, I'll have to pay a visit!.....

JeffR

Oh, I meant to add...

...have you also found that if you're using anything with a long marabou tail you get quite a lot of "tail nippers"?. I've found that using nymphs, or pinching the tail off short results in more actual takes.

SJY

Jeff,

Black and green, always a classic combination! Some days you do get a lot of fish nipping at long tailed flies. I prefer flies without too much bulk in the tail when fishing lures, this seems to help as does messing around with the retrieve or changing to a smaller version of the fly (fish nymph and cure the problem completely:D ). Some days changing colour works well.

By the way 10 doubles came out last week, top 3 all over 15lbs! Non to me I was busy with clients. I'm having a day tomorrow though!:)

Steve

JeffR

So you went today? I've been down in London today and yesterday on business:( (just got back) How'd it go? Next time I go to Loynton I'll give the Apps Bloodworms a swim - the Ellerdine fish certainly love them even in the coloured water but I don't think I've tried them at Loynton. The takes are usually very positive on them too.

SJY

Lakes fished well, I had 6, lost 3 and missed a few in 4 hours. Fish moving to buzzers, small dark nymphs and mini lures at different times of the day.

Everyone seemed to be catching, with fish coming from all lakes. I landed nothing big ( 2 biggest around 4.5lbs) but they certainly went well. I did have one double follow right in, turning away at the last!:eek:

Bloodworm/buzzer combination works well if it's mild. I'm over again Friday with a client. Hope all the rain pushes through tomorrow!

Steve

JeffR

Sounds good - hope you have a repeat on Friday:) I'll be spending all day in the car driving up to Inverness, although at least its for pleasure rather than business this time! (not fishing though, a wedding, not even time for few casts while I'm up there :( )

Have you ever tangled with the big red signal crayfish at Loynton? I had one grab my line and hang on all the way into the bank once. Ugly b*gger it was:eek: That'll teach me to use an intermediate instead of a floater!

SJY

Yeah some real big buggers in there, plenty of protein for the trout! They seem to be everywhere these days.

JeffR

Perhaps they should put some pots down and open up a sideline in poor-mans lobster! Or I could I could make some good chub bait out of them:D

SJY

Pass us me net said:
Anyone been lately?, might have a day later in the week, any info would be welcome, thanks in advance.

Gary,

I've just responded to Roy's PM.

It's fishing well to small nymphs and buzzer, most bigger fish comming out to lures. A chap had a 14.5lb rainbow on Friday when I was there, in spite of freezing conditions everyone was catching.:)

Best Fishes

Steve

Pass us me net

SJY said:
Gary,

I've just responded to Roy's PM.

It's fishing well to small nymphs and buzzer, most bigger fish comming out to lures. A chap had a 14.5lb rainbow on Friday when I was there, in spite of freezing conditions everyone was catching.:)

Best Fishes

Steve

cheers for that Steve.

Latest posts