Mackenzie single hand rods - anybody used one?

Damo

Hi all.
Thinking of treating my self to a new 9ft 5 weight as an all rounder for medium sized rivers. I´d quite like a nice easy action, not too fast or too slow. Fancy trying something different to the usual and was looking at the Mackenzie rods. Has anybody had any first hand experience of them, good or bad? Is the graphene model worth almost twice as much as the new NX1 - I notice that Paul Proctor is using the cheaper model in his articles...

Another possible candidate would be the new Snowbee Prestige graphene rod, seem to be more reviews of this rod around.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

Damian F

wobbly face

I have the NX1 9ft #4. Only used it twice. Nice to use and handled a French leader well. My only critique is the rings/eyes/line guides are on the large size, better than being too small. My first use of it was to give it a run through with a line (WF floater) and it performed well.

Mrtrout

Hi Damian, I bought the 8.6ft #4 NX1 last year.
i spoke to Paul Proctor about the action as I don’t like stiff rods, he recommended the NX1 so I ordered one at Norris’s in Penrith, my local shop.
The manager there David Garfoot was extremely accommodating and without even asking he offered me the chance to take a #5 for a week try first.
i found it slightly stiff for me, not excessively so but a bit.
I fish medium rivers like the upper Eden and my go to size is an 8.6ft, I find that covers everything for me.
I ordered the 8.6 when I took the 9ft and a week later it arrived and I returned the other and went straight to the river with the shorter rod.
The difference was amazing I immediately felt at home with it, in fact I caught a nice brownie on the first cast on a dry.
ive used it a few times before season end and had a few nice fish on it.
The cork can vary like most rods but mines pretty good for a mid price rod, the reel seat is very Orvis Helios like, no doubt influenced by Paul as an ex Orvis ambassador. Nice line up dots, blank colour is my choice in olive green.
Price is decent as well, I get a decent discount at Norris’s and I was able to help Ged, wobbly face above also get a reduced rate.
So all in all a nice fishing rod with good finish and a joy to cast that I’d highly recommend.
S.

Mrtrout

If you really do want a 9ft #5 then I’d consider the Redington Classic Trout, it’s a more forgiving action than the same size NX1.
And you can pick a new one up around £150 which is remarkable for such a competent rod.
S.

Damo

Hi chaps,
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, sounds like a nice rod but maybe the 4 weight or the Redington might be the way to go.

Thanks,
Damian

sean freeman

Depending on price range and how different you want to go then the Stickman P5 is pretty special. More medium fast than fast, a really nice all rounder. I’ve cast a couple and loved them, was going to pick one up for my trip to Iceland which is now cancelled. It’ll probably be a Crimbo present to myself this year anyway though.

Damo

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your reply. Its definitely one I´ll look into, I know the members on the American forum rave about them - every review I've read has been glowing.

Cheers,

Damian

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Damian, I'm sure you've read sweetandsalt's thoughts about the Stickman rods on the NAFFF. He loves his - and that's a man who must have cast a thousand other rods! It's the cost that is the sticking point for many (forgive the unintended pun). If it helps at all, they're built on Spanish Maxia blanks, though whether to their own specs or Stickman's I don't know. Still, no better time to build a rod of your own if you fancy and a wee chat with Maxia might clarify matters.

Regarding Redington rods, I've read on the NAFFF that some think that since Sage took Redington over they've been using older Sage blanks on newer Redington models. I've not looked any deeper into this but you may want to as, like Mr. Trout, I've only read good things about their recent offerings.
Best of luck, whatever you chose.

Mr. Trout - a fish on your first cast with your new rod?
Mr. Punch voice - That's the way to do it! :)

sean freeman

The Redington Classic trout I got my brother in an 8’6” #4 is an awesome rod, I’m thinking of getting one as a 'backup' rod that I secretly like as much as my Sage X in the same size!

Mrtrout

Hi, Damian, I'm sure you've read sweetandsalt's thoughts about the Stickman rods on the NAFFF. He loves his - and that's a man who must have cast a thousand other rods! It's the cost that is the sticking point for many (forgive the unintended pun). If it helps at all, they're built on Spanish Maxia blanks, though whether to their own specs or Stickman's I don't know. Still, no better time to build a rod of your own if you fancy and a wee chat with Maxia might clarify matters.

Regarding Redington rods, I've read on the NAFFF that some think that since Sage took Redington over they've been using older Sage blanks on newer Redington models. I've not looked any deeper into this but you may want to as, like Mr. Trout, I've only read good things about their recent offerings.
Best of luck, whatever you chose.

Mr. Trout - a fish on your first cast with your new rod?
Mr. Punch voice - That's the way to do it! :)
yes it was a good omen me thinks.
I totally agree with that in fact I mentioned it myself on here recently, it’s either the blanks used on the SLT or the ZXL, why produce new ones when you already have the best. Clever move by Sage to reintroduce a classic rod with feel but at a great price.
S.

Damo

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and the food for thought. I see the Classic Trout rods are made in Korea, maybe Sage shipped the mandrels to their factory over there once their ´made in USA `run was done?

Damian

pati

If you like the P5, I might be selling my Redington NTi in 9’ 5wt.
Gem of a rod, still unsurpassed in my opinion, but since I don’t have a car and therefore need to carry the tube when I fish, I now only use 6pieces rods...

PM me if you are interested.

Lewis Chessman

I see the Classic Trout rods are made in Korea, maybe Sage shipped the mandrels to their factory over there once their ´made in USA `run was done?

Damian
That may (almost) be true, Damian, but I wouldn't necessarily be disparaged to learn a rod was made in S. Korea these days. Some S. Korean factories are damned good at rolling blanks! Other than certain US big boys like Sage and G. Loomis and a few more boutique makers like T&T and Burkheimer most US rod brands now have their blanks built and sometimes fitted out in S. Korea. Orvis still make some at home, others are produced there, same with Hardy, too.
Japanese Toray carbon fibre cloth is amongst the finest and cheaper to import when you 'live next door'. Their rolling machines are often newer and better, they have all the technical expertise required plus the knowledge and experience of those ordering the product from the west. So, a S. Korean rod need not be inferior when all those factors come together.

I said 'almost' as I think fly rod mandrel specs are more likely to be shipped than any mandrels themselves. As I understand it, fly rod mandrels do not have a long life. On the one hand they are extremely fine metal 'needles' and have to be pulled out of each blank made on them. This and the constant stressing, heating and cooling they undergo result in frequent breakage and they are not cheap things to make to the exacting standards of the best designers.
But I'm being pedantic. :) Specs or actual objects, the result is the same - a rod just as good as one made in the west, maybe even better, but at a fraction of the cost (for the brand, anyway!).

I know we fly fishers often feel we're ripped off compared to other branches of the sport but the finer the rod's tip the more likely the mandrel is to snap in production. That adds to the cost - and we fly boys do like our rods to be as fine as possible.

Best of luck whatever you chose - and let us know how you get on with it.

Damo

Hi Lewis,

Completely agree about S.Korean rods - I have a Hardy Ultralite that is fantastic and the new Douglas Sky G is supposed to be great as well.

I´ll let you know what I decide on in the end .

Cheers,

Damian

Damo

Hi all,

Just an update as to how far I´ve got. After this post I sent a few mails to various companies, but in the middle of it all my laptop went belly up and I had to fork out for a new one.

I then flogged a load of stuff on ebay to get the money for the new rod and finally got around to ordering a Mackenzie FX1 in Sportfish´s 20 percent off sale. Of course, it was out of stock, so I don´t have it yet....

I´ll let you know what I think of it when I´ve fished with it a few times.

Thanks again for all the replies,

Cheers,

Damian

Cap'n Fishy

Apologies for the late input.. FWIW...

My loch salmon and sea trout (and ferox) rod is the Mackenzie dtx-G2, 10 ft 7-weight. I bought it when I was looking specifically for a rod with a bit of decent backbone in it, for when needed to force a big fish on the tail fly out from underneath the boat. But at the same time, loch salmon and sea trout fishing can be a day's casting practice at times, so I wanted something that was enjoyable to fish with, rather than a broom-handle.

I went to Angling Active at Stirling and took every 10 ft 7-weight they had off the racks and went outside and put a line on them and tried them on the grass. There were 6 or 7 rods and the one I went away with was the Mackenzie.

Col

easker1

I have a TFO Lefty Kreh 5wt on TCRX blanks its a 4pc and a damn nice rod, it's one I built and it cost under£100 well worth a look at if you can find one, easker1

catskill

Similar to cap'n Fishy I bought a discounted McKenzie dtx G2 10' 7wt a couple of years ago mainly because I wanted a rod I could use for wets/lures on the western lochs, handle big rainbows when required and not leave me feeling like I'd been swinging a shovel all day.
I have since bought a McK NX1 10' 5wt for dries on the lakes which is probably my favourite rod ever and a 10' 6wt NX1 with which I have only had a few casts thanks to Covid 19 but feels incredibly light. I like the feel of the McKenzie rods, nice natural action yet plenty of backbone when playing a fish. I've traded in all my other lake rods.