Macro-photography. Anyone used extension tubes on DSLR kit lens?

dgp

Never really got into macro-photography but rather than buy a macro lens (would rather buy another rod!) I wonder if anyone has tried extension tubes (which are quite cheap) on standard lenses ?

dgp

Thanks for this. Yes I’d forgotten that Col had provided this excellent addition to the forum👍

Whinging pom

Ive used them back in 35mm days and found them really limiting, the depth of field is appalling and really hard to gauge through the viewfinder and the Preview button,
( though admittedly with the immediate feedback in digital that might be easier to assess).

I was using dedicated Nikon ones with prime lenses and it never seemed to be the combination i needed. Metering was a pain and I needed to use a polaroid back to check exposures

I was doing some still life close ups and hoping to take advantage of the quirky tight Depth of field but I did want some really sharp detail and to be able to position what was sharp and adjust the depth.... Waste of time and film.

Image quality wasn't as good as the dedicated 55 mm macro nikkor despite using; 50mm 1.4; 85mm f 1.8; and 105mm f 2.5 which were the best of the nikon primes.

The bellows attachment gave you more leeway to crop and compose but unless you went the the whole hog and got a ring flash or similar to light the depth kills you. And Flash was never my medium.

I dont really think the lens design allows for that much distance from the rear element, its a compromise. ( though no doubt someone on here will claim that's ********!)

Ive had pretty satisfactory images with close up filters and at least the metering is better and you may lose abit of detail around the edges but generally its pretty good.

Hardrar

I’ve bought adapters and used old but good quality 35mm lenses and they work really well in Macro photography. Buying an adapter enables you to utilise some really high quality glass at reasonable outlay. I’ve never found extension tubes much good,

Reactions: dgp

4wings

I used Extension tubes with my 50mm 1.8 takumar and the smaller tube 13mm? with 200mm telephoto.
Hardrar above mentions 35 mm lenses I have used these reversed on other lenses with a coupling ring and on its own with a reversing ring. Bayonet fitting cameras require a reversing ring or if used the correct way around a special coupling ring to avoid damage to camera body contacts and the mirror.
A Raynox macro adapter is pretty good with a cost around £60 The DCR 150 or DCR 250
I would begin with the lower power 150. they are both adaptable to other lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgp

4wings

Last edited:

dgp

Thanks for these 4wings - much appreciated. Very helpful 👍

Latest posts