Macro with Olympus Tough compacts

Rhithrogena

The Olympus Tough series from TG-3 onwards (up to TG-7 now)are all capable of extreme macro shots with focus-stacking to keep everything in focus.

This is a size 22 Beacon Beige I tied earlier today and shot hand-held with a TG-4 and the LG-1 LED diffuser attachment. All straight from camera with no crop or adjustment whatsoever.OI000034.JPGOI000032.JPGOI000038.JPG
i have used these cameras for a while now for taking very useable images of boological specimens in environments where you can't use a dslr and macro lens.
They are incredibly easy to use and produce great shots straight from camera.
Since they are waterproof and ahockproof, they ARE the perfect fly fishing camera IMHO.

wobbly face

Seriously thinking of getting the TG-6. Only downside is auto focus in macro when trying for insects, they don't always hold still.
I also fancy the Sony RX10 mk4 but again auto focus. I need to see them but no camera shops open yet near me. :(

3lbgrayling

I am a fan of the Olympus Tough WP compact cameras and have been for years.I just think that the latest models are heavier and more complicated. so I will be sticking to my 770 SW/6010.I bought an 8010 but it is to heavy,and not shirt pocket sz.

Jim

Rhithrogena

Seriously thinking of getting the TG-6. Only downside is auto focus in macro when trying for insects, they don't always hold still.
I also fancy the Sony RX10 mk4 but again auto focus. I need to see them but no camera shops open yet near me. :(
If they are still for a couple of seconds you're in with a shout with the TG-
https://cameras.olympus.com/tg4fd1review/en/

eddleston123

I have a TG620 (around 8 years old) - Unfortunately this one did not survive being dropped as the screen cracked on a stone. It is still usable, but I will be replacing it soon.

I don't want anything fancy, just something pretty much with the same functions.

What model would suit?

Any advice appreciated.

Douglas

original cormorant

I have a TG620 (around 8 years old) - Unfortunately this one did not survive being dropped as the screen cracked on a stone. It is still usable, but I will be replacing it soon.

I don't want anything fancy, just something pretty much with the same functions.

What model would suit?

Any advice appreciated.

Douglas
Another sad story - my TG2 let in water last time out (no idea why but salt water in battery compartment and moisture in screen), so looking for a replacement.
The one feature I would like is a separate view finder for use in bright light and when wearing polaroids. Any suggestions?

Rhithrogena

What model would suit?

Any advice appreciated.

Douglas
Hello Douglas,
I use an Olympus TG-4 at work and own a TG-5 myself. There is a TG-6 & 7 now too. They are all similar in build quality and image quality. Just fairly minor tweaks. They all take the superb LG-1 'ring light' which I would strongly recommend buying if you do go for one of the these.
Highly recommended.

Rhithrogena

Another sad story - my TG2 let in water last time out (no idea why but salt water in battery compartment and moisture in screen), so looking for a replacement.
The one feature I would like is a separate view finder for use in bright light and when wearing polaroids. Any suggestions?
Sadly I don't know of any 'rugged' cameras with a viewfinder.
I have been impressed with acreen brightness and battery-life on the TG-4 & 5.....

Banksie

What model would suit?

Any advice appreciated.

Douglas
Olympus used to be pretty good with ‘repairs’, usually just swapping out like for like with a replacement camera. This wasn’t a guarantee agreement, just something they did. Whether they could do something today, I don’t know. But, they might be worth a call.

original cormorant

In June Olympus announced that they were pulling out of making cameras and were selling their "imaging products" to an investment fund. There's apparently some clarification announcement due in september.

Rhithrogena

Hello Douglas,

I own a T

What model would suit?

Any adv

In June Olympus announced that they were pulling out of making cameras and were selling their "imaging products" to an investment fund. There's apparently some clarification announcement due in september.
Whaaat!! End of an era..........

Rhithrogena

So!!!! Is it worth buying an Olympus camera?
There are other tough cameras out there but I do like the central lens (on camera body) of the TGs.
IMHO Yes. There will still be support for existing cameras (and maybe a price drop?)

Jamie Dundee

Since they are waterproof and ahockproof, they ARE the perfect fly fishing camera IMHO.
Hmmm. I had one for three days when I was living in Siracusa. Used it once when snorkelling and it died. Getting a refund in the local Media Market was easier than expected, I assume it wasn’t their first return :(

Rhithrogena

Hmmm. I had one for three days when I was living in Siracusa. Used it once when snorkelling and it died. Getting a refund in the local Media Market was easier than expected, I assume it wasn’t their first return :(
Bad luck. Sorry to hear that. Glad you were refunded.

The thing about putting electronics into seawater is that it's a question of 'when' it breaks, not 'if'.....

I work in marine science, and have a lot of experience with 'waterproof' cameras, from diving with film and digital stills and video cameras, to extensive experience with remote operated vehicles - from small inspection class vehicles up to millions of pounds worth of hydraulic machines the size of a Transit van. And they have all failed; let seawater in at some point. They all rely on seals to keep the water out, and these are prone to failure. Most of the time, with care, they work well. But they all fail sooner or later.

I have to say, the rugged type compact cameras do NOT have large enough sealing surfaces (tiny 'o' rings) to be regarded as proper underwater cameras for swimming/diving with, despite what the manufacturers say.

I stick by my confidence in these cameras, but only have direct experience of two Olympus and two Lumix models. We killed one of the Lumix scuba diving but the rest are holding up well to pretty heavy use by staff and students at a busy University.

For not a lot of money in the scheme of things you get the opportunity to image in some pretty hostile environments.

Did you buy another camera or have you steered well clear?

Jamie Dundee

Bad luck. Sorry to hear that. Glad you were refunded.

The thing about putting electronics into seawater is that it's a question of 'when' it breaks, not 'if'.....

I work in marine science, and have a lot of experience with 'waterproof' cameras, from diving with film and digital stills and video cameras, to extensive experience with remote operated vehicles - from small inspection class vehicles up to millions of pounds worth of hydraulic machines the size of a Transit van. And they have all failed; let seawater in at some point. They all rely on seals to keep the water out, and these are prone to failure. Most of the time, with care, they work well. But they all fail sooner or later.

I have to say, the rugged type compact cameras do NOT have large enough sealing surfaces (tiny 'o' rings) to be regarded as proper underwater cameras for swimming/diving with, despite what the manufacturers say.

I stick by my confidence in these cameras, but only have direct experience of two Olympus and two Lumix models. We killed one of the Lumix scuba diving but the rest are holding up well to pretty heavy use by staff and students at a busy University.

For not a lot of money in the scheme of things you get the opportunity to image in some pretty hostile environments.

Did you buy another camera or have you steered well clear?
I didn’t buy another ‘tough’ camera as by that time my interest in DSLRs had really taken off. The pity was that my previous ‘waterproof’ camera was a relative cheapie which worked for several months without problems until I dropped it on the tiled floor. Next trip out it drowned 😥 I did quite a bit of research as taking photos and video while snorkelling in that part of the Med was fascinating, trouble was every decent camera I looked at had numerous reviews of them drowning. In the end I gave up and concentrated on above sea level photography.

Latest posts