Maddening day at Clatworthy

pipsull

My first solo fly fishing day out, Clatworthy reservoir on Bank Holiday Monday. Hot, sunny and barely any wind. Not really the best conditions for fly fishing! :)

What little wind there was was either crossing me right to left or in my face; I could barely get the line out 6 feet at first, and was often hitting the rod with the fly and knotting the line... :( A very helpful chap (Martin) gave me some useful pointers and I probably managed 12-15ft at best after that, but despite him giving up his prime spot (where he'd already caught his full 5-fish bag limit) I was still unable to get more than a nibble or two, and I gave up by 2pm as it got hotter.

Absolutely maddening as I could see the shoals of fish cruising by! Even saw one take the fly and spit it right back out!

Ah well. More casting practice needed before the next outing... :)

JCP

If local are you a member of the local Clatworthy Fishing Club ? Brilliant source of good information and help on hand I would think.I considered joining this year as impressed by the efforts they put in.

JP

bobc

I think the best advice is for you to book a lesson with a qualified instructor , money well spent .

bobnudd

Your story took me back some 30 odd years. Get yourself out on a field practice This is better when the kids are at school so you don't have to put up with all the mickey taking. Stick at it and it will come and remember distance is not as important as presentasion. A lot of fish are taken close in as long as you approach carefully

dave b

I can recommend Pete Tyjas or Nick Hart for casting lessons they are both excellent anglers and would taylor any coaching to your needs including a days tuition on the water. Both are relatively local.