Madeira island moutain streams 2014

jmota

Hi all!

I'm going to try and keep an update of my 2014 season here in Madeira island.

So far i went two times this here, here is the pics for you!

First time

Second time

Cheers!

mat elot

Looks a lovely place to spend some time :thumbs:
I have a friend who i fish with now and then who originates from Madeira,swears blind their is no trout fishing to be had,me thinks he is keeping secrets :(
Paul.

lepirate

It looks rather good, where did the trout come from, are they indigenous or did someone stock some at some time? How about seatrout, do you get a run?
:thumbs:

3lbgrayling

stunning fish.as asked ,are they breeding.If they are you'r a lucky man.(unless there were wild brownies in the stream already.:eek:)

Jim

jmota

Hi all, first of all, Paul you can tell your friend that trout are present in Madeira. They were put in the fifties, both brown trout from Portugal mainland, as rainbows from the US. Every year more rainbows are drop in some streams and nowadays browns are close to inexistent. We think that some rainbows are starting to breed in the streams, because its usual to see them with 2cm. The ones that are put in the streams have 10cm. So the breeding theory is a strong possibility.

Sent from my RM-885_eu_portugal_338 using Tapatalk

mat elot

Hi all, first of all, Paul you can tell your friend that trout are present in Madeira. They were put in the fifties, both brown trout from Portugal mainland, as rainbows from the US. Every year more rainbows are drop in some streams and nowadays browns are close to inexistent. We think that some rainbows are starting to breed in the streams, because its usual to see them with 2cm. The ones that are put in the streams have 10cm. So the breeding theory is a strong possibility.

Sent from my RM-885_eu_portugal_338 using Tapatalk
Things certainly looking good for the future if the fish are breeding :thumbs:
I can't think of a nicer place to spend a holiday with the bonus of a few hours fishing in the mountains.
Its no wonder my friend is keeping it to himself,don't want the hordes invading
his homeland :eek:mg: I will be having a quiet word in his ear :)
Keep us informed with your fishing and plenty more pictures would be nice :thumbs:
Paul.

cubera

It's several years since I last visited Madeira, but certainly there is quite a bit of trout fishing, if you know where to look. I think I have the name correctly - Ricardo Gavinas, a son of the guy who skippered Torpedo 3 for big game - used to (and maybe still does) guide for trout on the island. One thing you will need is the legs of a mountain goat, and plenty of stamina, oh, and ideally a head for heights. Some of the best fish (I caught fish up to about 4lbs, using klinks or small nymphs) are to be found in the "tanks" on some of the streams - these are small reservoirs, less than 1/4 acre, and usually well off the beaten track. I am quite sure trout breed in Madeira, and if you take a walk along some of the levadas (crazy channels taking water from the high hills into Funchal, often only a couple of feet wide, frequently cut into nearly-sheer cliffs) then you can see tiny - and not so tiny - trout scraping a living, feeding on invertebrates hiding in the mosses which line the levada walls. Great to se somebody fishing for trout, rather than the Marlin, Wahoo and Tuna which cost a fortune to catch.

mat elot

It's several years since I last visited Madeira, but certainly there is quite a bit of trout fishing, if you know where to look. I think I have the name correctly - Ricardo Gavinas, a son of the guy who skippered Torpedo 3 for big game - used to (and maybe still does) guide for trout on the island. One thing you will need is the legs of a mountain goat, and plenty of stamina, oh, and ideally a head for heights. Some of the best fish (I caught fish up to about 4lbs, using klinks or small nymphs) are to be found in the "tanks" on some of the streams - these are small reservoirs, less than 1/4 acre, and usually well off the beaten track. I am quite sure trout breed in Madeira, and if you take a walk along some of the levadas (crazy channels taking water from the high hills into Funchal, often only a couple of feet wide, frequently cut into nearly-sheer cliffs) then you can see tiny - and not so tiny - trout scraping a living, feeding on invertebrates hiding in the mosses which line the levada walls. Great to se somebody fishing for trout, rather than the Marlin, Wahoo and Tuna which cost a fortune to catch.
Interesting read :thumbs:
I was in Funchal in 2001 but only for a day during our silver wedding cruise.
Would certainly like to make a return visit but as for having the legs and stamina of a mountain goat, i'm afraid my legs are more akin to an antique table and my stamina that of a knackered smoker,suppose their is always a donkey or a piggy back off the wife who has fortunately weathered better than myself :eek:mg:
Paul.

jmota

Hi all!

Some 2015 pics from Madeira island moutain streams.

Hope you like!

See you all!