Magnet holder.

Mrtrout

These seem very popular of late, looks like a sink plug with a small magnet, £8.99 plus £2.99 postage. Really?
13050EC8-4CEE-4C95-B61D-D386D40880DD.jpeg

tangled

I've just received one as a freebie, didn't know what it was until you posted that!

I suppose it might be useful as there's increasing use of barbless hooks that don't stick too well in the old lamb's wool patch. I solved that with a fold-over patch that holds the flies in, so it's stuck on the fridge at the moment.

noel

I've just received one as a freebie, didn't know what it was until you posted that!

I suppose it might be useful as there's increasing use of barbless hooks that don't stick too well in the old lamb's wool patch. I solved that with a fold-over patch that holds the flies in, so it's stuck on the fridge at the moment.
Go on tell us who sent it as a freebie.

Paul_B

Good idea (y)

I think I'll drop a magnet into my waistcoat pocket and give it a try or pin a square from a learner plate into the pocket ;)

Scottish mother and a Yorkshire father, so I've short arms and deep pockets :cool:

benisa

any type of a magnet holder is much better than bit foam or fluff great for the size 18/20 flies (y)

parrot

I have one of the original, double types. It is okay but you have to be very careful about anything brushing against it - sleeves, coat, bag, snips etc - as it is quite easy to dislodge the flies.

I now only use it to hold flies whilst tackling up/changing flies and have gone back to using a sheepskin patch for anything longer term.

and yes, it is overpriced.

noeyedeer

Been using a Streamworks magnetic chest fly holder for years on my lanyard (was a link & pic on old site but search not finding it anymore)
Edit: search has found it see below, but some words not working! ( similar issue already reported to admin who are working on it)

Seem to be difficult to source now in UK, but it solves the issue of barbless, it has a reliable lid that prevent fly loss, slots to allow automatic drying out plus you can clip the lanyard through the slots!

AB441B76-0CE3-4DC3-A817-BDFBC57F7CD4.jpegAB441B76-0CE3-4DC3-A817-BDFBC57F7CD4.jpeg

Last edited:

benisa

see they the makers do a good one which is Magnetic/Foam Fly Storage System which is a double use item

Waltyluft

Been using a Streamworks magnetic chest fly holder for years on my lanyard (was a link & pic on old site but search not finding it anymore)
Edit: search has found it see below, but some words not working! ( similar issue already reported to admin who are working on it)

Seem to be difficult to source now in UK, but it solves the issue of barbless, it has a reliable lid that prevent fly loss, slots to allow automatic drying out plus you can clip the lanyard through the slots!

I use one of the streamworks one as well. Stuck a strip of velcro on it and it sits, rock solid, on the fly patch on my vest. Had it for years and never lost a fly from it.
Way better than the magnet-ique ones imo. I consider it one of the few items of kit I have that I really wouldn't be without.

Waltyluft

is it the standard one you have or the double sided one
As far as I'm aware and as Noeyedeer says, the Streamworks magnetic patch/box is (or was??) only available single sided. They also do a foam lined one but I can't think of a reason for getting that rather than the magnetic. Doesn't need to be double sided really as it will hold a load of flies. I once counted up after a few days fishing and there were 65 flies in it.
I bought a second one a while ago. Glad I did now as they seem tricky to source in the UK these days.

Link to a year old post with some pictures of mine on the vest.

Last edited: