Magnifying glass and light

Cap'n Fishy

Hardrar

I use daylight spectrum - Led downlighter bulbs in our kitchen ceiling, (5 over our big table) they are only 4.5 watt, but mega bright, then a white sight board. I have various daylight fly tying and hobby specific lamps, but the ceiling down lighters are far better and don’t throw any shadows.

G

GEK79

Yes GEK as I say I use the Optivisor which similar to this is head mounted as I had issues with fixed lamp magnifiers getting in the way and not being at the right focal length as you move your head. I have tried all types and head mounted is the way to go. The Optivisor is a little more expensive but you can get spare lenses as required and after a lot of use it is still good after five years so the quality is excellent. If you want something cheaper I think Hobbycraft do something similar.
Good luck and I am sure you will not regret your purchase.

Happy Tying
Ian (tbs)
Thanks Ian.
Now ireland has gone into complete lockdown I shall start to try tying.. Is this any good to start..

tbs

Thanks Ian.
Now ireland has gone into complete lockdown I shall start to try tying.. Is this any good to start..
As I say, I don’t get on with these fixed magnifiers, preferring to go for head mounted magnifiers as I find the fixed ones get in the way but it is all down to personal preference I guess.
My preference for an ideal set up would be a Good free standing light with daylight bulb if possible and a head mounted Optivisor type magnifier as below. Sorry it’s a bit of a mess but tying in progress !🙂

Attachments

• 1609415851187.jpeg
    1609415851187.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
G

GEK79

As I say, I don’t get on with these fixed magnifiers, preferring to go for head mounted magnifiers as I find the fixed ones get in the way but it is all down to personal preference I guess.
My preference for an ideal set up would be a Good free standing light with daylight bulb if possible and a head mounted Optivisor type magnifier as below. Sorry it’s a bit of a mess but tying in progress !🙂
Thanks as always will source something in new year.. Will also be needing some storage.. 😜😜

Cap'n Fishy

Thanks Ian.

I think Ian is being polite. 😜 I think you would find that thing impossible to work with... and it is bound to eat batteries. On top of that, I find any battery-powered constant light to be simply too dim to be useful for fly-tying (or photography).

In addition to good lighting from the twin anglepoises, these are the sort of things I use for seeing...

Readers

A pair of +4 diopters will give you the greatest magnification.

Col

Last edited:

tbs

Thanks as always will source something in new year.. Will also be needing some storage.. 😜😜
My storage drawer boxes came from IKEA @ about £20 each. You could start with one and as your demands grow add more and they will stack as well. I also use a bench from IKEA which has five drawers.
The best thing I found for my hooks and you will see them on my bench was the little pill boxes which I think came from Lidl and were cheap as chips. They hold bundles of hooks and I have added an identifier label to the compartments. Hobbycraft do inexpensive thread holder boxes which can be very useful as your stock increases. The only other thing I would add is cheap and cheerful zip up food type sandwich bags of assorted sizes to keep feathers, Fritz, body materials etc because if you get any feather mite it can devastate materials very quickly.

Regards
Ian (tbs)

tbs

I usually manage with my prescription varifocals these days. If I need to see better, I use +4 diopter reading specs from poundland: £1.

Works for me. Saves loads of faff with all the Sherlock Holmes stylee lighting rigs.

However, I am fussy about lighting. I have twin anglepoises fitted with daylight temp 5500 K lamps, either side of me...

Nothing intrusive or needing to be 'negotiated', while tying...

I also have a selection of neutral cards as backdrops - white, black and middle grey - depending on what I am tying.

Col
Very nice, especially the glass object full of good measure.👍🙂

anith

New to fly tying and I have quickly discovered that my close vision is not as good as it was.I need a flexible light/magnifier,to make life easier,so any recommendations would be welcome that don’t break the bank,I have had a look on amazon there are lots,but would rather have som3 advice first,thanks
Google nail bar magnifier lamps plenty to choose from at a decent price.

wjg

GEK, as I understand, you are just starting down the road of tying. Don't rush in and limit yourself later. Any imagined dedicated room, desk, storage system, you will eventually out grow. Buy what you need as and when you need it. Your goals and methods will also change. I started with a free draftsman flex arm fluorescent light over my vise and still use it. If the 40 yr old bulbs ever burn out, I may check what temp/colour they are. I don't tie to photograph. I am envious of those who have the time and learned that skill. But in the end, the dubbing blend I like or the saddle patch I have available at the bench is still the same colour with or without light bulbs.
Personally, I could not imagine using the look thru magnifier lens lights for tying. How old are you and do you need glasses already? I was wearing "reading glasses" for tying long before I did need them at work. Go to the dollar store, poundland, corner discounters, and buy +2.0, +2.5, & +3.5 reading glasses and take them home to try at the vise. Don't even consider "How do I look in these?" Yes they make your a$$ look fat, but who is going to see? Worse case you're out 3$. Save the ones that seem too strong. You will need them later.

glueman

Hobbycraft do a floor stand magnifying lens with a surrounding light. It is not bad and when I purchased one not too expensive but was a while back

Paul_B

I have a magnifier but never use it as I prefer to use a pair of reading glasses for tying, the lamp is one from Ikea with a 3 watt led daylight bulb, this is stood on my hook and tying material draws.
I use embroidery thread for most dry flies, the sort that cost a few £ for a lot of different colours, a dip into olive cold dye a rub with a bit of Velcro and beeswax and you have a thread thats as good as gold.
You don't need to spend a lot to make flies that catch fish

1609426953418.png
1609427357463.png

like to use

G

GEK79

I have a magnifier but never use it as I prefer to use a pair of reading glasses for tying, the lamp is one from Ikea with a 3 watt led daylight bulb, this is stood on my hook and tying material draws.
I use embroidery thread for most dry flies, the sort that cost a few £ for a lot of different colours, a dip into olive cold dye a rub with a bit of Velcro and beeswax and you have a thread thats as good as gold.
You don't need to spend a lot to make flies that catch fish

View attachment 34103 View attachment 34104
like to use
Many many thanks.. I now have some hooks to start just landed have the vice thanks to the young man who gave to me next is some thread. And hope the tools will arrive soon courtesy of another genuine member.

Attachments

• 16094299712075547203775239565579.jpg
    16094299712075547203775239565579.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

suzuki15hp

Thanks for the link as my Maplin magnifier is starting to go the same way - I thought it was just me!
When your Maplin light joints becomes difficult to tighten with the knobs, you need to go over ALL of the small joint screws and nuts and tighten them as far as they go and this will solve the problem. You may have to repeat this again after a few months.

suzuki15hp

I remember Alan (Magic Al) Bithell, fly tyer, telling me a few years ago, that he had reading glasses made up just for his fly tying with a 15 inch focal length. He reckoned that was the perfect focal length for him.

Cap'n Fishy

I have been a varifocal user for normal vision for over 20 years. When I asked the optician's about the extra task of close-up viewing for tying flies, they said I am just as well to use the 3-quid readers I was using, as to try and get some other fancy-dan expensive pair of specs for the job. So, I just carry on with the cheapo +4 diopter readers. In practice, I find that with fine-tuning my lighting rig, I can do >90% of it with just my normal varifocals, which is why I was making a point of things like good lighting and appropriate background screens.

Col

G

GEK79

I have been a varifocal user for normal vision for over 20 years. When I asked the optician's about the extra task of close-up viewing for tying flies, they said I am just as well to use the 3-quid readers I was using, as to try and get some other fancy-dan expensive pair of specs for the job. So, I just carry on with the cheapo +4 diopter readers. In practice, I find that with fine-tuning my lighting rig, I can do >90% of it with just my normal varifocals, which is why I was making a point of things like good lighting and appropriate background screens.

Col
I will speak to the electrician as he will be wiring my shed soon.. Thanks as always..

SecondChild

Obviously, light is important and I think that in such cases the most appropriate would be to use LED lights. By the way, I can recommend led night from Amazon because I was personally amazed by how it works. When I read about it on the internet, it didn't seem very real to me, but after I bought it I saw that they are really extraordinary. The most amazing thing is that it adjusts itself depending on the brightness of the rooms so you don't have to turn it off or on because it does everything on its own.

Last edited:

Latest posts