Magnifying glass and light

len1

I have similar problems but most of the time I can get a way with using 2.5 mag specs. However, I saw the following youtube video and subsequently purchased the featured magnifiers - they are very good for little outlay.
I too bought these after seeing Lindsay’s video. Excellent and cheap With spare lenses. I unclipped the light as with batteries it’s a bit heavy and not needed as I have a good desk light.
The Donegal Optivisor is also good optically but expensive. I found the arms of the hinged bracket that holds the lens to be too flimsy and cracked. Old credit card cut to size and superglued as a splint helps!

Molded

I have the same issue, guys. I started to feel it back in 2016, and since then, I am using a led magnifying table light. I cannot do anything without it. I just cannot see what I am doing. I also tried to use an Optivisor, however I did not like it. I just do not feel comfortable with it. When my table light got broken, I started using my led camping lantern as it is very powerful and it helps me a lot. I mean, when I am going camping, that lantern is illuminating an area of more than 100 m. We have checked that last summer.

Last edited:

vandiemen

Have a look here:

My partner uses the £45 LED lamp in her podiatry clinic and swears by them. I know these are not the cheapest but they are very good.

I got similar lamp from Maplin but they went bust so not sure if you can get them anywhere else.

Cheers,
Sebastian
I bought the Maplin one, but it will not stay where I put it. It just keeps dropping down ?

I will give the headlamp at the head of this thread a go, it is due to arrive today.
With a little luck, I can get tying small flies again.

Whinging pom

7EEB9E50-860C-40C9-8EAD-AA2526DF5F26.jpeg
A friend of mine makes falconry hoods and he had these in his workshop I asked him about them and he said they were cheap as chips on eBay I ordered them as a change.
They are so cumbersome the arms dig into you temples the light flickers and is too blue. within 10 minutes I could feel a headache coming on. I asked him how he got in with and he’d given up as they started his migraines…. So one to avoid.
I have Mageyes Hat eyes under my fishing cap. I had to order from the states as no one seems to stock them here now.The quality is real good. So i do fly tying sat there with my fishing cap on.

baca157

I bought the Maplin one, but it will not stay where I put it. It just keeps dropping down ?

I will give the headlamp at the head of this thread a go, it is due to arrive today.
The Maplin lamp is famous for dropping down - try to tighten all the screws at the joints. I had to do this with mine and it's fine. The lamp from the link I shared doesn't do that. My partner uses them in her podiatry clinic and they are much better than those from Maplin.

Cheers,
Sebastian

vandiemen

The Maplin lamp is famous for dropping down - try to tighten all the screws at the joints. I had to do this with mine and it's fine. The lamp from the link I shared doesn't do that. My partner uses them in her podiatry clinic and they are much better than those from Maplin.

Cheers,
Sebastian
I tightened the unit with a pliers and it still moves ?
Eventually, I used elastic bands around the damper springs and that worked a bit better.
I found it hard to set it up so I could use it with any level of comfort.
Having tied flies for over fifty years before needing one of these, is was hard for me to adjust. In fairness, that is not the fault of the lamp fitting.

About ten years ago, I started using clip-on magnifiers to my glasses and that worked really well for a few years, up to the point where I my vision deteriorated and I needed something stronger.

I tried other options, including the one-size-fits-all Orvis magnifier glasses, which were too tight and everything was just a blur.

So I am willing to try anything, including headlamp magnifier which is due today.

With a little luck, I will be tying 20's and 22's tonight ..... ever the optimist

baca157

I tightened the unit with a pliers and it still moves ?
Eventually, I used elastic bands around the damper springs and that worked a bit better.
I found it hard to set it up so I could use it with any level of comfort.
Having tied flies for over fifty years before needing one of these, is was hard for me to adjust. In fairness, that is not the fault of the lamp fitting.

About ten years ago, I started using clip-on magnifiers to my glasses and that worked really well for a few years, up to the point where I my vision deteriorated and I needed something stronger.

I tried other options, including the one-size-fits-all Orvis magnifier glasses, which were too tight and everything was just a blur.

So I am willing to try anything, including headlamp magnifier which is due today.

With a little luck, I will be tying 20's and 22's tonight ..... ever the optimist
I had to tighten them really hard to stop the movement. It still won't hold if the arm is stretched out a lot. Those lamps from Beautyfor have much better arm construction and do not have that problem. I'll definitely be buying one once my Maplin lamp packs up.

Hopefully the headlamp magnifier will do the job for you. A few members here use them and seem to be getting along well.

Cheers,
Sebastian

vandiemen

Magnifier headlamp arrived this afternoon.
It ticks all the boxes in terms of flexibility and magnification.

I put a couple of flies in the vise just to get a feel for it, and where my head/eyes need to be in relation the the fly. I have to say, it was really very good.
I can now see flies down to size 30, which is small enough for me.

I must mention that it works better without wearing my glasses.

mr_eejit

Magnifier headlamp arrived this afternoon.
It ticks all the boxes in terms of flexibility and magnification.

I put a couple of flies in the vise just to get a feel for it, and where my head/eyes need to be in relation the the fly. I have to say, it was really very good.
I can now see flies down to size 30, which is small enough for me.

I must mention that it works better without wearing my glasses.
Which magnifier headlamp did you buy vandiemen, Is it the one in the picture below, I've a magnifying lamp but wouldn't mind trying the headlamp as my eyes are getting worse, and the magnifimg lamp sometimes gets in the way

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719_211031.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719_211031.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

vandiemen

Which magnifier headlamp did you buy vandiemen, Is it the one in the picture below, I've a magnifying lamp but wouldn't mind trying the headlamp as my eyes are getting worse, and the magnifimg lamp sometimes gets in the way

YOCTOSUN LED Light Hands Free Headband Illuminated Magnifier Visor -1X to 14X Zoom s Headset Head Mounted Magnifying Glasses with Lights for Reading,Jewelry loupe, Watch Electonic Repair​

diawl bach

I'm with CapnF, 3x readers and a decent lamp do the trick, Amazon for the Tao Tronic type lamp - wait for offers - and the pound shop for the specs.

I was interested in the headband magnifiers so I made the mistake of taking a look at Ali X, more headband magnifiers ( all designed to make you look like a dork) than you can shake a stick fly at LINK

... and this is the problem with AliExpress, two minutes in and I'm looking at chicken crash helmets, designed to protect poultry from avid fly tyers no doubt

cockhead.JPG

Last edited:

PaulD

Here's my magnifying light. Not cheap, a Daylight Co. one, 7" lens with circular daylight bulb. I must have had it for 12 to 15 years, original bulb still in use, stays in position and its focal length gives plenty of room twixt lens and vice head. If you're going to be spending a length of time at the vice comfort and convenience are key elements and, from time to time, comfort and convenience costs a bit.

FTR1.JPG

AndrewL

I have a similar issue to OP. Lots of good advice/opinions here. Are there advantages/disadvantages to using either desk mount or head mount magnifiers that might sway me one way or the other? Thanks

Last edited:

Paul_B

I have a similar use to OP. Lots of good advice/opinions here. Are there advantages/disadvantages to using either desk mount or head mount magnifiers that might sway me one way or the other? Thanks

Why not pop into a hobbycraft and try one of theres, they have a few on display at Meadowhall

jaybeegee

I have a similar issue to OP. Lots of good advice/opinions here. Are there advantages/disadvantages to using either desk mount or head mount magnifiers that might sway me one way or the other? Thanks
I tried a pedestal type magnifier and lamp which I found got in the way. Now I use magnifying specs and an led lamp.
B

D

Deleted member 81051

This is the desk lamp I bought 18 months ago, which I like very much. Doesn't take up much space, well bright enough for fly tying, very stable and adjustable, built in clock and wireless phone charger.

https://www.groov-e.co.uk/ares

1627653789991.png

AndrewL

Why not pop into a hobbycraft and try one of theres, they have a few on display at Meadowhall

Thanks, didn’t even know about Hobbycraft! Looked up and there is a branch not too far from me so will drop in to see what is on offer (and try)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk