Major Murdoch & Caroline.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Three more flies of late. A Lady Caroline Spey fly, a Major from Tolfrey (Jones's Guide to Norway) and a Murdoch (built wing). The Lady Caroline's tied on a big old Dee hook I stripped an old spey off and is also fully gutted right along the hook shank using the same silk gut that was on it. Major on a size 6/0 and Murdoch size 2/0.

Tail - GP breast feather.
Body - 1 part olive green, 2 parts brown Berlin wool mixed.
Hackle - Grey Heron wound alongside gold rib.
Rib - flat gold tinsel and oval silver tinsel evenly spaced & gold oval tinsel counter wound over hackle.
Throat - GP breast feather.
Wings - Bronze Mallard tied short and flat.​

Tag - oval silver tinsel and scarlet floss.
Tail - GP topping.
Body - equal sections of pale blue, orange, claret & dark blue Pig's wool. (Seal's fur used).
Ribs - gold twist alongside flat silver tinsel.
Hackle - claret cock hackle.
Throat - Gallina & Bustard.
Wings - GP tippets veiled with claret cock hackles, Argus Pheasant tail, Bustard & well marked Snipe feathers, two GP toppings & yellow cock hackle over tied as collar.
Head - Ostrich herl.

Tag - oval silver tinsel and blue floss.
Tail - GP topping, Indian Crow & Chatterer. (latter two substitutes used).
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - flat silver tinsel.
Ribs - oval gold tinsel.
Hackle - yellow cock hackle.
Throat - blue cock hackle under red cock hackle (my version very sparsely tied).
Wings - GP tippets in strands, blue Macaw, Turkey, Goose dyed blue, red & yellow, Peacock wing, Bustard, GP tail, Barred Wood Duck & GP topping over.
Sides - Jungle Cock.
Cheeks - Chatterer (subbed with Kingfisher).
Horns - blue & yellow Macaw.
Head - red wool.​

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

baca157

Another set of crackers Mark. Picture perfect, as always.

I am curious about the wing on that Major. I noticed that Kelson sometimes mentions tippets veiled by something - does it mean that they are meant to be sticking up from underneath the veiling? Not sure I’m expressing this very well but most flies tied for Essential Kelson book have tippets veiled by the main wing.

Also, that Argus tail on the wing looks really dark. What does the feather look like? I have couple Argus pheasant feathers but they have a lot more white bits on them:

B53859B9-23DD-4F0D-AAC3-97374056C73A.jpg

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Thanks Sebastian. Some dressing descriptions can be confusing at the best of times but tippets veiled by something just means over them like you'd put the wings over them or overlap them should I say like a married wing. On this Major (more clearer pic below) you can see the Bustard and Argus Pheasant which I married together are veiling the tippets and I could have tied them as separate strips but still veiling the tippets on each side as are the claret hackles. With a built wing like the Murdoch above the tippets are tied in as strands and the wings set on top of them rather than being veiled like with a normal married wing and paired tippets. I had to blag some Argus and the Bustard hackle off a mate but he only had the dark stuff, could have got hold of the tail sections you have above which is really what's asked for but seemed a lot of expense just for a few fibres for one fly, it does get a bit silly sometimes so you have to compromise. By the way your stuff is on its way will give you a bell when it gets here. ;)

baca157

Thanks Mark. It kind of makes sense with the veiling of the tippets. Great news on the goods. Let me know when they arrive:thumbs:

Cheers,
Sebastian