Making daddy or hopper legs

Cap'n Fishy

Be careful with the music Col. Copyright and all that. It's a nice touch to add but you need software to do it and use free to use music to down load and add. You could do it in Youtube once over but I've not looked into for quite a while. I got caught out when listening to music whilst doing a vid, you could just hear it in the background. I had to re-render/re-publish the vid without sound. Ttttttttt.

I was just kidding, though it's a good point, Ged. To be honest, I can't stand all those fishing videos where they have added crappy background music. I realise the problem with home-made fishing videos is that most folk don't have a 'dead cat' for their mic, so the whole thing makes it sound like it is blowing a gale. My mate shot a vid of me landing a grilse in August, and it sounds like we were out in a Force 9. In fact, it was just a nice steady breeze. It sounds really dramatic when in truth it wasn't...

If you go back and replay it with the sound off, it makes a huge difference to your perception - much less dramatic. I switched the sound off on my camera, so it doesn't record wind noise - but then of course that leaves you with a silent movie...

Obs indoors, wind noise is not an issue (unless you've been on a diet of Guinness and Brussels sprouts 🤪). So, then it is a case of whether I can pluck up courage to do my own voice-over. I think I sound like I'm 'special needs', though they say everyone hates the sound of their recorded voice.

Col

Wee Jimmy

I was just kidding, though it's a good point, Ged. To be honest, I can't stand all those fishing videos where they have added crappy background music. I realise the problem with home-made fishing videos is that most folk don't have a 'dead cat' for their mic, so the whole thing makes it sound like it is blowing a gale. My mate shot a vid of me landing a grilse in August, and it sounds like we were out in a Force 9. In fact, it was just a nice steady breeze. It sounds really dramatic when in truth it wasn't...

If you go back and replay it with the sound off, it makes a huge difference to your perception - much less dramatic. I switched the sound off on my camera, so it doesn't record wind noise - but then of course that leaves you with a silent movie...

Obs indoors, wind noise is not an issue (unless you've been on a diet of Guinness and Brussels sprouts 🤪). So, then it is a case of whether I can pluck up courage to do my own voice-over. I think I sound like I'm 'special needs', though they say everyone hates the sound of their recorded voice.

Col
I think the occasional expulsion of pump gas in the background would add to the provenance of the clip lad....😃

nickthomas

Be careful with the music Col. Copyright and all that. It's a nice touch to add but you need software to do it and use free to use music to down load and add. You could do it in Youtube once over but I've not looked into for quite a while. I got caught out when listening to music whilst doing a vid, you could just hear it in the background. I had to re-render/re-publish the vid without sound. Ttttttttt.
Plenty of decent music in the YouTube library which is free to use. You get to choose whether you need to have an attribution to the artist in your video. I just pick from the ‘attribution not required’ section for my vids.

codyarrow

Not that keen on music on fishing videos. Lost the link but there was a couple of Swedish guys fishing rivers that made some of the best youtube fishing videos, all without music.

nickthomas

I just reckoned on the white shirt backdrop making it underexpose a bit, and I dialled in +1 EV. Might have taken another half stop, but it wasn't worth reshooting the whole thing for it. I went for aperture priority and f11.

I lined up half a dozen fibres on the table and simply went through them. But for sure, if I do a whole fly, I will have everything sitting ready. End of the day, you can always edit and chop bits out. There is an edit in there - where I spent too long looking at the tablet screen. There is also a join, where the camera forced a file break, which it apparently does after every 4 GB of video... for reasons best known to itself. :unsure:

Col
For best results I’d advise setting the camera to manual. Video shutter speed should be half of the reciprocal of the frame rate, e.g. 1/60 sec at 30 fps. If you run the camera in shutter priority you may get flickering as it changes aperture as you move your hands around. Better to use a grey card and set shutter speed and aperture manually, cranking the ISO up/down as necessary to get the best results for your lighting. I shoot all my tying videos with a soft box fixed in the same position and the same camera settings which are saved in the C3 setting on the top dial.

Cap'n Fishy

For best results I’d advise setting the camera to manual. Video shutter speed should be half of the reciprocal of the frame rate, e.g. 1/60 sec at 30 fps. If you run the camera in shutter priority you may get flickering as it changes aperture as you move your hands around. Better to use a grey card and set shutter speed and aperture manually, cranking the ISO up/down as necessary to get the best results for your lighting. I shoot all my tying videos with a soft box fixed in the same position and the same camera settings which are saved in the C3 setting on the top dial.

Thanks for the input, Nick. I mentioned in post #8 that I went with Av (aperture priority) @ f11 to give a bit depth of field. I let the camera deal with shutter speed and I had it in Auto ISO to take the strain. Not being a video shooter, my brain can't quite get itself round the relationship between shutter speed and frame rate when shooting video. 🤪

My settings were:

MOV/MP4
FHD 25.00P All-1

I remember dialling in these settings last time I shot video, as they were recommended easiest for editing. I did my editing in Photoshop - only image software I use.

I have no idea what the ISO and shutter speed were... on average. I did notice a couple of little adjustments being made in the footage. I was just glad not to have the AF hunting back and forth like it did when I was shooting the paraloop! But I might try locking it in total manual next time - definitely makes for a more professional job. Video is a whole new learning curve for me - kind of why I decided to have a go while a long restricted winter lies ahead of us!

So, going by what you say, would you use 1/50 sec with 25 fps?

Col

nickthomas

Thanks for the input, Nick. I mentioned in post #8 that I went with Av (aperture priority) @ f11 to give a bit depth of field. I let the camera deal with shutter speed and I had it in Auto ISO to take the strain. Not being a video shooter, my brain can't quite get itself round the relationship between shutter speed and frame rate when shooting video. 🤪

My settings were:

MOV/MP4
FHD 25.00P All-1

I remember dialling in these settings last time I shot video, as they were recommended easiest for editing. I did my editing in Photoshop - only image software I use.

I have no idea what the ISO and shutter speed were... on average. I did notice a couple of little adjustments being made in the footage. I was just glad not to have the AF hunting back and forth like it did when I was shooting the paraloop! But I might try locking it in total manual next time - definitely makes for a more professional job. Video is a whole new learning curve for me - kind of why I decided to have a go while a long restricted winter lies ahead of us!

So, going by what you say, would you use 1/50 sec with 25 fps?

Col
Yes Col, 1/50th at 25 fps. I shoot at 30fps just because the waterproof camera I use for fishing video shooting only runs a 30fps so I want my 5D at the same frame rate when footage from the two cameras are edited together. The reciprocal relationship ship between shutter speed and frame rate is mostly a hangover from film days and is supposed to give a more natural look. Of course there’s nothing to stop the use of faster shutter speeds if there is enough light but it does give a different look to the footage. When I’m setting up for a tying video I just switch the camera to the C3 custom setting that I’ve programmed, switch off autofocus on the lens and focus manually in live view. BTW the C1 and C2 positions on the dial are my presets for 1080 and 4K video recording outdoors. Cheers, Nick.

Cap'n Fishy

Yes Col, 1/50th at 25 fps. I shoot at 30fps just because the waterproof camera I use for fishing video shooting only runs a 30fps so I want my 5D at the same frame rate when footage from the two cameras are edited together. The reciprocal relationship ship between shutter speed and frame rate is mostly a hangover from film days and is supposed to give a more natural look. Of course there’s nothing to stop the use of faster shutter speeds if there is enough light but it does give a different look to the footage. When I’m setting up for a tying video I just switch the camera to the C3 custom setting that I’ve programmed, switch off autofocus on the lens and focus manually in live view. BTW the C1 and C2 positions on the dial are my presets for 1080 and 4K video recording outdoors. Cheers, Nick.

Thanks Nick. I have my C3 set for my high speed action stills in shutter priority, and C2 set for similar in full manual, but C1 is usually something I am messing about with, so I could afford to make it my video defaults.

Col

philm

Thanks for this Col. Videoing fly tying is something that I would like to have a better go at, I reckon it would be a great way of improving just as I found photographing and posting flies here to be.

I can't be bothered with tying knots in pheasant tail though, I buy mine knotted on the quill. Although I do feel a bit guilty for the poor sod who did the job!

Phil

Cap'n Fishy

I can't be bothered with tying knots in pheasant tail though, I buy mine knotted on the quill. Although I do feel a bit guilty for the poor sod who did the job!

Phil

For all the time it takes, I've never minded doing my own. Do you get both single and double-knotted ones... in a variety of colours, including heather fly chestnut?

PWHF_4703.jpg

Of the ones I have seen on sale, I don't think I have ever seen them tied with the knot near enough the tip for where I want it on a 12 or 14 hopper?

Adams_hopper_9326.jpg

I don't want great long gangly legs on my hoppers. Daddies, fine, but I like my hoppers short-legged. 😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

They're size 12s, I have bought natural, dyed black and dyed red. That about covers what I need.

And single-knotted? I would need single-knotted in chestnut for heather flies, and in claret and black for hoppers and raiders and the likes...

Raiders-3_3248.jpg

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Although the knots are placed OK, the legs have a 'heavy' presence to them, if you catch my drift. A bit overpowering. I would use them for dapping daddies, no problem, but I wouldn't use them on size 12 hoppers or raiders, like the ones I posted.

Col

philm

Although the knots are placed OK, the legs have a 'heavy' presence to them, if you catch my drift. A bit overpowering. I would use them for dapping daddies, no problem, but I wouldn't use them on size 12 hoppers or raiders, like the ones I posted.

Col
Knotted Pheasant Tail | Fly Tying Boutique

I want a heavy(ish) presence on my hoppers, I tend to use them in rougher conditions or for 'pulling'. If I need a little finesse I'll use a bits.

Cap'n Fishy

Knotted Pheasant Tail | Fly Tying Boutique

I want a heavy(ish) presence on my hoppers, I tend to use them in rougher conditions or for 'pulling'. If I need a little finesse I'll use a bits.

Fair enough. I go totally the other way. I am using hoppers in flat calms a lot of the time. For example, in a fall of heather flies, I want something that passes for a heather fly, rather than something dressed like a daddy-long-legs, if you get where I am coming from. I do have big, heavily-dressed hoppers for use in rough conditions. We call them 'Big Vernes'. Often tied with doubled fibres. 😜 (y)

Col

Last edited: