Mallard and Claret (variant)

philm

Many years ago Bob Carnill wrote an article in Trout Fisherman extolling the virtues of a size 14 Mallard and Claret in a buzzer hatch. His explanation of how the tail represented the shuck behind the emerging adult was good enough for me and I have been tying and fishing Bob’s black hackled version ever since (although Bob’s GP tippet wasn’t dyed). I treat it as a nymph rather than a wet fly, it works well on slow retrieves/dead drift, often on a ‘washing line’ and sometimes with the wing ‘ginked’.

The size 12s I fish differently; these are frequently first choice middle dropper in a 'pulling' team on a grey day with a rolling wave.

Hook: Kamasan b175, size 12 and 14
Thread: black
Tail: Golden Pheasant tippet, dyed WOIGO
Rib: oval tinsel, gold
Body: seal fur, claret blend
Hackle: hen, dyed black
Wing: bronze mallard​

Wee Jimmy

That’s a mouthwatering blend on those bodies Phil....some magenta in there.?

Rob Edmunds

I agree, stunning looking flies I've a real soft spot for this pattern and black/claret dabblers which I think are very similar.....can I say that or is it a sin 😉

They really work well on the Welsh waters (especially Brenig/Clywedog) and like you say just chuck them out on a slow intermediate or slow tip and figure of 8 back......always works for me too.

philm

That’s a mouthwatering blend on those bodies Phil....some magenta in there.?

Thanks Jimmy. It's every shade of claret I have managed to collect over the years, from 'black claret through to almost purple (magenta ish?) all blended together. I did use to tie one with a magenta floss rib which worked OK but didn't survive the annual fly cull one year.

I agree, stunning looking flies I've a real soft spot for this pattern and black/claret dabblers which I think are very similar.....can I say that or is it a sin 😉

They really work well on the Welsh waters (especially Brenig/Clywedog) and like you say just chuck them out on a slow intermediate or slow tip and figure of 8 back......always works for me too.
Skinny claret dabbler = mallard and claret with a different tail :whistle:

Phil

Wee Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. It's every shade of claret I have managed to collect over the years, from 'black claret through to almost purple (magenta ish?) all blended together. I did use to tie one with a magenta floss rib which worked OK but didn't survive the annual fly cull one year.

Skinny claret dabbler = mallard and claret with a different tail :whistle:

Phil
Cheers Phil, I do like blending my seal fur.Ive probably got around fifteen different shades of Claret ...😃so I’ll have a go at replicating...👍

Wee Jimmy

Jimmy, what your best Seals Fur recipe for Claret dabblers/dries for wild browns ?? Or is that a secret??
Never been one for keeping secrets Rob,ask away..😉
As it happens I do have a favourite mix that like for, both wbt and rainbows. Try a 70/30 blend of veniards dark claret and fiery Claret SLF, I’ve been using it for years....👍

Rob Edmunds

Cheers Jimmy I will be on this straight away and look forward to trying it out in Wales thus season..👍👍

Never liked SLF and got the a fair few packets tucked away so an easy blend for me.

Always preferred natural materials with perhaps a touch of lite brite 😉

Wee Jimmy

Cheers Jimmy I will be on this straight away and look forward to trying it out in Wales thus season..👍👍

Never liked SLF and got the a fair few packets tucked away so an easy blend for me.

Always preferred natural materials with perhaps a touch of lite brite 😉
Yeah me too,less is more when it comes to some synthetics.

philm

Cheers Phil, I do like blending my seal fur.Ive probably got around fifteen different shades of Claret ...😃so I’ll have a go at replicating...👍

I can’t remember the last time I used seals fur without blending two or more colours, even my black flies have a pinch of red or claret in them. The insects I observe are normally a kaleidoscope of colours and this is what I try to replicate. I can’t say for sure that it makes any difference to the fish but it does to me and that takes us back to that confidence thing again…….

Phil

Elwyman

I agree it's a great fly, and think I posted on here a while back that I discovered, by accident, that a size 14 sitting in the surface film is as good as a Bob's Bits.

Oldbones

This thread is so educational for myself and others that are aspiring to tie flies such as this, thank you.

Cap'n Fishy

Nice tying, Phil.

I also love making dubbing blends. I used to salvage 24-well tissue culture dishes from work - ones that had lost sterility and could not be used. They make good 'palettes' for holding all the small pinches of this and pinches of that, blended together...

Col

Cap'n Fishy

That looks like a damn fine spice rack!
Ha-ha...

spice-stall-anjuna-beach-market-stock-photography__we096155.jpg

Latest posts