Marked feathets

doobrysnatcher

Just coloured these with a permanent marker and was wondering on the subject of marker pens i just coloured a few hen badger feathers with an orange permanent marker
i dont think the fish will mind that much but will it fade in the water or do i need a mordant of some kind to bring it up to a shine and hold it i was thinking vinegar or something like it
b0126983d4099f80e398ecb72343ef3b.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-L01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

speytime

I'd expect it to fade a little, it looks good to me if you can get a few fish before it fades does it matter?
You can buy sets of pens specially for fly tying maybe they'll be less prone to fading I'm sure someone will know.

Al

wobbly face

They will fade with use, any excess marker will also rub off during handling. You could try de-greasing feathers by washing in washing up liquid, rinsing and drying before colouring with marker. Vinegar or even soak salt water may help fix better. I've found those permanent markers marketed for fly tying no better than Sharpies, just more expensive. :eek:hno:

doobrysnatcher

after looking at the flies above their more subdued than i expected .
so maybe its not the way to go ah well it was worth the try
nothing ventured nothing gained
but there must be some way of fixing the dye from markers though, it has been suggested to use vinegar or salt water up thread would that work ?or are there any other alternatives?

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

on the subject of markers i think ill use a home made coperas mordant and try dipping it in the liquid for a spell
maybe that will keep the feathers bright and permanent ly coloured
any one try this?

arkle

Just a "trick" you could try & I've heard it works reasonably well on conventionally dyed feathers, is to use some hair conditioner, maybe the "hot-oil" type... at least, as I say for the conventionals.