"match the hatch"

whitehorses

so i was on the water last week and seen a number of these as i was passing by ,
i tought maybe im on to something here ,could they ,would they ,surely not ?
there was e nough there to call it a hatch of them
obviosly theres a slow accumalation of them as they gather to mate,heres a few ready to mate taken in a dish sample with a sub imago just landing
ciggie butts.jpg

disgusting it may be to see this ritual repeated all over our waters
index.jpg

,almost directly after emergence they usually slightly un wrap a wing exposing a whitish interior and this is when the fish show interest in them
drifting in a semi spent position ,the fish alledgley gulps it down at this stage ?
cigge fish.jpg

unfortunatly i packed them in and had no offerings but wondered how common this was on waters ,lets just see how far they have spread across the world ?
did any forumites here ever see them on their waters ? see a fish take one even?or worse mimick one
ciggie butt.jpg

pictures borrowed from internet

Attachments

• ciggie butts.jpg
    ciggie butts.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Whinging pom

Dick Walker devised something similar in the 1970s. I think he christened his dressing "Fagendus Vulgaris"...
1634971270941.png

It was a bit of joke but the "Disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" type complaints to the Trout and salmon letters page rumbled on for months. He really was a thorn in the side of the old traditionals in those days :)
I think he'd be pretty pleased to know you were keeping the tradition alive!

Last edited:

ejw

In the 70's and 80's I used to check all the gut contents of the fish I kept. It was a bit of a ritual and learning curve. Most of the river fish, although caught on nymphs, mostly had terrestrials, on bigger reservoir's, beetles or fry. On small put and takes - anything that was there, sticks, leaves, seeds and yes fag ends !

PaulD

Many years ago, I caught a rainbow on Pitsford that regurgitated a fag end as I unhooked it. Emerging stage of a Baby Doll?

running bear

I caught a rainbow maybe 10 years ago, it fought really well but when landed it looked a little skinny. It weighed 2.5lb but was the length of 3+.

Anyway, on gutting i found a tightly folded up crisp packet (Tayto cheese and onion, NI yellow version), it had been feeding really hard, but everything was compacted in the top of the stomach blocked by the packet.

Latest posts