Maxcatch Di3 sinking line splitting

kingf000

I don't use a sinking line very often, so I didn't want to spend a lot on a line that I'd use only a couple of times a year. So last December I bought a Di3 #5 Maxcatch sinking line, didn't use it but did a bit of casting practice today in the garden to get used to it. After casting for about 20 minutes, I noticed that the first foot of the line had split in several places, and not just at hinge point of the braided loop. Never seen this happen before with a line. I'd kept the line in the dark so it hasn't degraded in light. Maxcatch lines often get a good review on here and I've found the floating lines good, but not very impressed with this one. Anyone found similar problems or have I just got a rubbish one-off?

Paul_B

I've got the fast sink-tip and used it quite a bit and thats ok, the windcheater is good too.

I would let them know with a message on facebook and explain that its faulty

speytime

I've got a maxcatch 3ips that's been well used in the boat and still going strong, I bought during the drought period year before last.
The only minor issue is the actual sink rates the 3ips and 6ips are about half the speed they claim but still a bargain imo.

Paul_B

I've got a maxcatch 3ips that's been well used in the boat and still going strong, I bought during the drought period year before last.
The only minor issue is the actual sink rates the 3ips and 6ips are about half the speed they claim but still a bargain imo.

Thanks,
I've just ordered the 3ips (the expensive one) and 300yd of backing, if its slower than 3ips it will be even better.
However its just cost me £15 with discount, so I'm off for a laydown

kingf000

Thanks,
I've just ordered the 3ips (the expensive one) and 300yd of backing, if its slower than 3ips it will be even better.
However its just cost me £15 with discount, so I'm off for a laydown
I bought the cheap 3ips, only about £6.00, so may account for the difference.

fishing hobo

Grass casting is harsh on fly lines. Even the other makers show split in the coating. I avoid using expensive lines for this reason when grass casting.

kingf000

Grass casting is harsh on fly lines. Even the other makers show split in the coating. I avoid using expensive lines for this reason when grass casting.
Yep. I've cut off the offending length, put on another loop and will try it out at the lake next week. I'll take along a spare line in case!

speytime

I've got the airflo sink range inter to di7, the maxcatch di3 is somewhere between a inter/slow sink and really thin which I like, it's much narrower than my airflo fast inter, the airflo is superior but I still like the maxcatch.
The 6ips for some reason is more supple than the 3ips and the maxcatch 15ft sink tip uses the 6ips head its another bargain imo.

@kingf000 I've had a couple of dealings with maxcatch customer service and they have been excellent, I'll be surprised if they don't replace it I'll be surprised.

If anyone is needs a 3/6ips I've got a 7/8# spare available.
You would need to cover the postage... It's normally about £50 🤣...
Of course I'm kidding!
Edit... the lines are taken.

Al

Last edited:

Latest posts