Maxcatch dry fly hooks

kingf000

In a recent thread I asked whether anyone had tried the MC 7210 maxcatch dry fly hooks. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxcatch...u1sIufAAugt9C6lXIlXsVhl9nsBhKajBoCzosQAvD_BwE

As no one replied I decided to buy some size 14 to see what they were like and they came yesterday. Black nickel, which I prefer to bronze. Length 11mm as described, shank 8mm and gape 4mm. Pretty much the same size and shape as the Partridge SUD but thicker wire. Weight 0.03g and eye size 0.4mm. I didn't find any faulty eyes in the 100 I got and there was a good spring on pinging when clamped in the vice. Seem sharp just from pulling the hook point across my nail. So initial impressions are good for hooks half the price of standard makes. They took 10 days to come from ordering. However, the key is how well they stand up to fishing so I'll be tying a few flies and giving them a go in the next few weeks.

dgp

I binned mine after losing fish due to the hooks opening up. These were 2lb or so rainbows. Might be OK on small brownies. Also binned the hooks ref MC7231 bought in the same order - hook length was too short on this barbless hook to give any confidence.. So buy cheap buy twice for me I'm afraid for me. Now stick with Hends and Tiemco

kingf000

I binned mine after losing fish due to the hooks opening up. These were 2lb or so rainbows. Might be OK on small brownies. Also binned the hooks ref MC7231 bought in the same order - hook length was too short on this barbless hook to give any confidence.. So buy cheap buy twice for me I'm afraid for me. Now stick with Hends and Tiemco
Found the same with Partridge SLD! Now just use them for rivers.

dgp

Meant to say hook point length !

kingf000

Meant to say hook point length !
Just tried them out on the local lake. Yes, they opened up on trout 2lb and above, but as I said that is no different from what I found with Partridge SLD. Still managed to land them but had to change the fly, though I did bend them back with pliers back home. At least they didn't snap that I've found with some cheap hooks before. Although the wire looks slightly thicker than the partridge, they weigh exactly the same so I assume the thicker look is due to a thicker black coating. So I'll be using them for river flies just as I do with the SLD. They call their MC7210 standard wire but it seems like a fine wire to me. I've ordered some wet fly hooks, stated as 2X wire, to see what they are like. I decided to order 4 sizes, 10, 12, 14 and 16, so 400 hooks for £14.64. Should be stronger and may still be light enough for buoyant dries for the lake. I'll let you know how I do with them.

baca157

Just tried them out on the local lake. Yes, they opened up on trout 2lb and above, but as I said that is no different from what I found with Partridge SLD. Still managed to land them but had to change the fly, though I did bend them back with pliers back home. At least they didn't snap that I've found with some cheap hooks before. Although the wire looks slightly thicker than the partridge, they weigh exactly the same so I assume the thicker look is due to a thicker black coating. So I'll be using them for river flies just as I do with the SLD. They call their MC7210 standard wire but it seems like a fine wire to me. I've ordered some wet fly hooks, stated as 2X wire, to see what they are like. I decided to order 4 sizes, 10, 12, 14 and 16, so 400 hooks for £14.64. Should be stronger and may still be light enough for buoyant dries for the lake. I'll let you know how I do with them.
Once a hook opens up it’s weakened and will open more easily next time. If it opened up, bin the fly. Bending it back weakens it even more.

I have to say I am really baffled by your choice. You bought some cheapo hooks to try and they are rubbish by your own admission (they open up easily which disqualifies them for fishing) and then you ordered more from the same brand:oops:

I’ll never understand why anyone would skimp on hooks. Even expensive hooks which retail at £5 per pack of 25 come at 20 p per hook. 20p! Hook is one of the most important part of the fishing set-up so why buy cheap rubbish?

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Sebastian

kingf000

Once a hook opens up it’s weakened and will open more easily next time. If it opened up, bin the fly. Bending it back weakens it even more.

I have to say I am really baffled by your choice. You bought some cheapo hooks to try and they are rubbish by your own admission (they open up easily which disqualifies them for fishing) and then you ordered more from the same brand:oops:

I’ll never understand why anyone would skimp on hooks. Even expensive hooks which retail at £5 per pack of 25 come at 20 p per hook. 20p! Hook is one of the most important part of the fishing set-up so why buy cheap rubbish?

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Sebastian
If you read what I wrote, I said that they were effectively the same as the Partridge SLD hooks, so I didn't rubbish them, just saying that their description of the hooks being standard wire is, IMO, wrong, they are fine wire hooks and so I will use them for the same flies and fishing that I use the SLD hooks. Their 2X wire should be about right for the larger fish in the lakes.
Yes, I could pay £20 for 100 hooks, but I don't see why I should if I can get hooks just as good for a fraction of that price. In the past I would have agreed with you to go for good quality hooks, as the cheap hooks on offer were rubbish. However, it looks as though these Maxcatch hooks will probably be just as good as the expensive ones.

blithfield2

If you read what I wrote, I said that they were effectively the same as the Partridge SLD hooks, so I didn't rubbish them, just saying that their description of the hooks being standard wire is, IMO, wrong, they are fine wire hooks and so I will use them for the same flies and fishing that I use the SLD hooks. Their 2X wire should be about right for the larger fish in the lakes.
Yes, I could pay £20 for 100 hooks, but I don't see why I should if I can get hooks just as good for a fraction of that price. In the past I would have agreed with you to go for good quality hooks, as the cheap hooks on offer were rubbish. However, it looks as though these Maxcatch hooks will probably be just as good as the expensive ones.

You need to carry out a detailed risk assessment on these, to put everyones mind at rest:whistle:

baca157

I read what you wrote kingf000. Yes, these hooks may be as good as Partridge SLD hooks. The thing is (and I should have mentioned this in my post) that Partridge SLD hooks are garbage so you are not getting hooks which are just as good for a fraction of a price. You are getting hooks which are just as bad for a fraction of a price. And that is a big difference.

The hook opened up on a 2lb fish = it’s a rubbish hook. It’s that simple. Please don’t get me wrong - higher price tag doesn’t always mean better hook. There are rubbish hooks out there which expensive. Partridge being one example but quality usually comes with an appropriate price tag. There are exceptions from this rule but they are just that - exceptions.

Hook is the bit that attaches me to the fish so I will only use the best (not the most expensive, mind you)

Cheers,
Sebastian

kingf000

I read what you wrote kingf000. Yes, these hooks may be as good as Partridge SLD hooks. The thing is (and I should have mentioned this in my post) that Partridge SLD hooks are garbage so you are not getting hooks which are just as good for a fraction of a price. You are getting hooks which are just as bad for a fraction of a price. And that is a big difference.

The hook opened up on a 2lb fish = it’s a rubbish hook. It’s that simple. Please don’t get me wrong - higher price tag doesn’t always mean better hook. There are rubbish hooks out there which expensive. Partridge being one example but quality usually comes with an appropriate price tag. There are exceptions from this rule but they are just that - exceptions.

Hook is the bit that attaches me to the fish so I will only use the best (not the most expensive, mind you)

Cheers,
Sebastian
It is a personal choice and viewpoint. In my experience the Partridge SLD is typical of many mid-priced fine wire hooks. The fine wire gives the lightness, but not the strength and so when used appropriately is fine. They only fail when used inappropriately. The difference in cost of the materials to manufacture a 20p hook and a 4p hook from China is virtually zero, and I'm sure some of the 10p hooks we buy come from the same or equivalent factories. At 20p you are paying for the high cost of manpower and facilities, antiquated and costly supply chain, the name and that lovely plastic box it comes in, many of which just end up in landfill or possibly recycling (though I've read that small plastic articles like that get lost in the recycling sorting process and end up in landfill!).

kingf000

You need to carry out a detailed risk assessment on these, to put everyones mind at rest:whistle:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.

You are obviously intelligent enough not needing guidance on how the live your life safely in a pandemic. It is clear from what people were writing on this Forum, that level of knowledge and intelligence was, and still is not shared by many, many of whom followed the strictest interpretation of the government's rules, even when those in the government were, themselves, flouting them. I'm afraid I lost any confidence in the government telling me how to stop spreading the virus and how to stop myself from catching it, when for months they advocated a herd immunity policy that immediately condemned 250K people to death, that figure assuming covid was like flu, or 600K if you fed in the covid data. My mistake was believing that I could help others to avoid catching and spreading covid, a mistake that I hope I have learnt from.

blithfield2

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.

You are obviously intelligent enough not needing guidance on how the live your life safely in a pandemic. It is clear from what people were writing on this Forum, that level of knowledge and intelligence was, and still is not shared by many, many of whom followed the strictest interpretation of the government's rules, even when those in the government were, themselves, flouting them. I'm afraid I lost any confidence in the government telling me how to stop spreading the virus and how to stop myself from catching it, when for months they advocated a herd immunity policy that immediately condemned 250K people to death, that figure assuming covid was like flu, or 600K if you fed in the covid data. My mistake was believing that I could help others to avoid catching and spreading covid, a mistake that I hope I have learnt from.

It's great that you clearly have a great sense of humour and you have in the past provided a valuable insight in matters medical. My comment was not meant to be sarcastic but when a 'dog has a bone'......... glad you took it in such fashion

kingf000

It's great that you clearly have a great sense of humour and you have in the past provided a valuable insight in matters medical. My comment was not meant to be sarcastic but when a 'dog has a bone'......... glad you took it in such fashion
You just have to realise that the bone is still connected to a living human being!

baca157

It is a personal choice and viewpoint. In my experience the Partridge SLD is typical of many mid-priced fine wire hooks. The fine wire gives the lightness, but not the strength and so when used appropriately is fine. They only fail when used inappropriately. The difference in cost of the materials to manufacture a 20p hook and a 4p hook from China is virtually zero, and I'm sure some of the 10p hooks we buy come from the same or equivalent factories. At 20p you are paying for the high cost of manpower and facilities, antiquated and costly supply chain, the name and that lovely plastic box it comes in, many of which just end up in landfill or possibly recycling (though I've read that small plastic articles like that get lost in the recycling sorting process and end up in landfill!).
Of course, everything is a personal choice. You can choose to use hooks that fail. I don’t.

If the difference in cost of manufacturing 20p hooks and 4p hooks is virtually zero, then why there are so many garbage 4p hooks and very few garbage 20p hooks?

There is a huge difference in quality of hooks on the market. The cheaper end are cheaply made, from weak wires and open up on 2lb fish (by your own admission). The more expensive hooks (not all, mind you) are better made and from stronger materials and therefore will not fail so easily.

As far as plastic polution is concerned - I don’t throw out empty hook boxes. They are great storage boxes for small materials like beads etc. Saying that, you are grasping at (plastic) straws here as you only brought plastic boxes into the discussion at this stage. You only choice criteria was price.

To summarise all my points - The price is the least important factor for me when buying hooks. I was just baffled by your logic as you admitted that the hook is weak but decided to buy more anyway. I would just throw the whole lot in the bin and put it down to experience, but that just me. I did that with all my Hends hooks (including all flies tied on them) after losing a few good fish.

Cheers,
Sebastian

kingf000

Of course, everything is a personal choice. You can choose to use hooks that fail. I don’t.

If the difference in cost of manufacturing 20p hooks and 4p hooks is virtually zero, then why there are so many garbage 4p hooks and very few garbage 20p hooks?

There is a huge difference in quality of hooks on the market. The cheaper end are cheaply made, from weak wires and open up on 2lb fish (by your own admission). The more expensive hooks (not all, mind you) are better made and from stronger materials and therefore will not fail so easily.

As far as plastic polution is concerned - I don’t throw out empty hook boxes. They are great storage boxes for small materials like beads etc. Saying that, you are grasping at (plastic) straws here as you only brought plastic boxes into the discussion at this stage. You only choice criteria was price.

To summarise all my points - The price is the least important factor for me when buying hooks. I was just baffled by your logic as you admitted that the hook is weak but decided to buy more anyway. I would just throw the whole lot in the bin and put it down to experience, but that just me. I did that with all my Hends hooks (including all flies tied on them) after losing a few good fish.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Logic is clear: the fine wire hooks are only suitable for rivers where the fish don't get very big. In my experience that is true for all fine wire hooks. The thicker wire on the ones I've now purchased will be stronger, but how heavy and how strong I'll only find out once I've got them. Yes, most cheap hooks are rubbish, but as I've found, and many on this Forum have agreed, Maxcatch sell pretty good stuff for a good price, so worth a close look. You can usually tell whether the hooks are rubbish. If you try and bend them with pliers, they snap, and some even snap when you try to flatten the barb. If you feel happier with 20p hooks and don't mind paying that price - your decision. I'm just trying to do a tackle review to see what these cheaper alternatives are like, so that others can make up their own minds.

baca157

Logic is clear: the fine wire hooks are only suitable for rivers where the fish don't get very big. In my experience that is true for all fine wire hooks. The thicker wire on the ones I've now purchased will be stronger, but how heavy and how strong I'll only find out once I've got them. Yes, most cheap hooks are rubbish, but as I've found, and many on this Forum have agreed, Maxcatch sell pretty good stuff for a good price, so worth a close look. You can usually tell whether the hooks are rubbish. If you try and bend them with pliers, they snap, and some even snap when you try to flatten the barb. If you feel happier with 20p hooks and don't mind paying that price - your decision. I'm just trying to do a tackle review to see what these cheaper alternatives are like, so that others can make up their own minds.
Please don’t take my comments the wrong way kingf000. I am not trying to attack your choices in any way. I do appreciate you taking time to try these hooks and post a review.

I suppose where we differ is in our expectations. Of course, fine wire hooks are weaker than thicker wire hooks but I don’t believe that we should expect for them to fail on a 2lb fish.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. Hooks I currently use do not cost as much as 20p per hook. It was an example too illustrate that even at £5 per pack hooks are really cheap, especially considering how much we pay for other parts of our fishing tackle (y)

Angus McLeod

Just a couple of thoughts: I ordered 200 shrimp and caddis pupae hooks from Maxcatch in sizes 18 and 20, and they sent me 14s and 16s. I don't need these, so I have no idea whether the quality is any better than the service.
What I can say is that I am currently using shrimp/scud hooks sold by Rederiver on eBay, and I have found them to be excellent.
Cheers,
Angus

Latest posts