Maxcatch Gold line v Scientific Anglers

stevel

I used to buy commercial products like Winston/Loomis/Sage rods and production "high end" reels like Abel, etc. Those were all made in the US, but even if there were some components on them (which I don't believe) or used to construct them from China such as threads, varnishes, etc, I don't think that could ever be considered a partial chinese product.
I now use hand made bamboo rods or bench made reels - which I believe are wholly made by the maker, even the screws - but the bamboo raw material, tonkin, is a chinese product, but I would hardly put this in the same class as the cheap mass produced stuff to which everyone is objecting.
The problem is that the products from say Maxcatch and Alibaba which are so cheap that it doesn't seem feasible to produce them for such low costs and also ship them to you internationally. These are the sorts of products I object to buying, which I assume to be produced in some sweatshop, whether that's true I don't know.
Sometimes intellectual rights are stolen, eg a manufacturer does all the R&D and has it produced in China or other offshore country and it is copied at that factory then produced/sold on at much cheaper prices to the West. Should consumers benefit from this?
Don't forget 50 years ago the goods from Japan had the same connotations and stigma that chinese goods have today, and now they have an enviable reputation for quality and innovation. I'm sure in the future that day will come for Chinese made goods.
If there was a chinese artisan who hand made goods with the quality to match the western makers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Last edited:

JJ O Malley

My 2c worth. No input regarding buying from China. Most stuff comes from China anyhow.. I bought a Rio Gold 5wt floating 3 years ago for maybe 80e. Never really rated it as line. I'm a proficient caster and can generally cast a full line with most rods ( ideally wind assisted ).. not with the rio gold however. It always died mid cast. Always felt like it was a line weight less than the rod (5wt Hardy Zenith). I bought a 5wt maxcatch gold line last season and found it a better line. I can definitely cast it further than the Rio Gold. It lands nice and light and seems to perform well.

Id advise anyone to try them. Nothing to lose. In the end of the day they are probably made in the same factory as some of the high end lines. The lines selling for 80e are manufactured for a couple of euros max. We are paying for marketing, labelling, advertising and filling some executives wallets. I've yet to try intermediate/ sinking lines etc, this is the only cheap line I've had success with.

Cheers
John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sean freeman

Rio are made in the states as are SA, strange you find gold light as it’s pretty forward weighted and I’m sure it weighs 1/4 to 1/3 more than it’s designated line weight.
I have no problem belting out a full #6 Gold on my Sage 10’ #6 but I’ve never had to in an actual fishing situation.
I have to admit that modern Rio lines don’t seem to last long, they’re lovely and supple but I reckon I get two or three seasons max before they start getting worn out, albeit that’s a couple of hundred sessions.

Is the Maxcatch line not an exact copy of the Gold taper?

JRT

ETHICAL PURCHASING
This has come up on the forum before.
So where do you guys buy your gear? @Hardrar and @Scotty Mitchell
As far I can tell most brands source from China, if only fittings for rods, or carbon pre-preg, or reel parts. Waterproof membrane type fabric seems to ALL come from China. So pretty much ALL waders, jackets, vests etc. In fact almost all items containing any plastic are also likely to have raw materials sourced from China.
I would be interested to know, then, how you avoid Chinese products? If you just buy brands that aren't based in China, is this enough for you to be ethically OK? I'm not just having a go here, we each wave our own flags, don't we?
It is a subject that has caused much navel-gazing. The UK has an absolutely terrible record on human rights as well, and is still failing the international community. There is a wealth of material online on this subject and short of living off grid and becoming self-sufficient, and making hazel rods and horsehair lines, it is impossible to purchase completely ethically.
So are there are any ethically sourced fly fishing brands out there?

P.S. This probably deserves it's own thread - but the season starts tomorrow 😉

Whilst it is impossible to avoid China produced products you can award innovation rather than just replication. If my purchasing helps to protect western jobs I will do it. But I'm obviously not as mercenary as some and can afford it. But then again we are talking about fly fishing tackle not food or something that is essential.

So if you are really trying to justify saving a few quid on a fly line by:
"The UK has an absolutely terrible record on human rights as well, and is still failing the international community. "

... then you really need to get some perspective. Are you seriously suggesting the UK is on par with China for Human Rights?

I would suggest you are the one naval gazing.

JRT

My 2c worth. No input regarding buying from China. Most stuff comes from China anyhow.. I bought a Rio Gold 5wt floating 3 years ago for maybe 80e. Never really rated it as line. I'm a proficient caster and can generally cast a full line with most rods ( ideally wind assisted ).. not with the rio gold however. It always died mid cast. Always felt like it was a line weight less than the rod (5wt Hardy Zenith). I bought a 5wt maxcatch gold line last season and found it a better line. I can definitely cast it further than the Rio Gold. It lands nice and light and seems to perform well.

Id advise anyone to try them. Nothing to lose. In the end of the day they are probably made in the same factory as some of the high end lines. The lines selling for 80e are manufactured for a couple of euros max. We are paying for marketing, labelling, advertising and filling some executives wallets. I've yet to try intermediate/ sinking lines etc, this is the only cheap line I've had success with.

Cheers
John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

All RIO lines are made in USA, as are SA lines. Not justifying their pricing, just stating the fact.

Rhithrogena

So if you are really trying to justify saving a few quid on a fly line by:
"The UK has an absolutely terrible record on human rights as well, and is still failing the international community. "

... then you really need to get some perspective. Are you seriously suggesting the UK is on par with China for Human Rights?
With the greatest of respect I haven't tried to justify any such thing. Where have I said the UK is on a par with China? I just pointed out that we have a terrible record on human rights as well. If you are not sure of this go read about the British Empire and how our colonies were established and maintained.

I am simply asking if there are any ethically sourced fly fishing brands out there, that do not use Chinese products.

kingf000

IMO going down the refusal to use products from specific countries is a rocky road. Would you refuse to put petrol in your car because it has come from gulf states that have poor record of supporting dreadful wars and sexual discrimination? Would you refuse to have bought US products in the last few years because the US pulled out of the climate agreement and has a dreadful record on racial prejudice? Would you refuse to buy anything from Germany because of the horrors of ww2? So many countries, including the UK, have ethical issues that you would end up buying nothing!

JRT

With the greatest of respect I haven't tried to justify any such thing. Where have I said the UK is on a par with China?

Here:

It is a subject that has caused much navel-gazing. The UK has an absolutely terrible record on human rights as well, and is still failing the international community. There is a wealth of material online on this subject and short of living off grid and becoming self-sufficient, and making hazel rods and horsehair lines, it is impossible to purchase completely ethically.
So are there are any ethically sourced fly fishing brands out there?

The implied justification is that there is no ethically sourced fishing tackle as Britain is as morally corrupt as China. If this is not what you intended then I would chose your words more carefully as this is how it reads. Just saying.

Rhithrogena

Here:

The implied justification is that there is no ethically sourced fishing tackle as Britain is as morally corrupt as China. If this is not what you intended then I would chose your words more carefully as this is how it reads. Just saying.
Justification for what? I am referring to trying to source ethical gear, not saying buy Chinese at all. That is your agenda, not mine.
Just saying.

Rhithrogena

IMO going down the refusal to use products from specific countries is a rocky road. Would you refuse to put petrol in your car because it has come from gulf states that have poor record of supporting dreadful wars and sexual discrimination? Would you refuse to have bought US products in the last few years because the US pulled out of the climate agreement and has a dreadful record on racial prejudice? Would you refuse to buy anything from Germany because of the horrors of ww2? So many countries, including the UK, have ethical issues that you would end up buying nothing!
True dat....

Scotty Mitchell

It’s not a rocky road at all, not for me anyway, it’s called My Choice.
I do my best to avoid Chinese made goods, particularly fishing tackle, because, well, I don’t like to support China, for reasons I can’t be arsed to type, and don’t have the will to divulge on a Fishing Forum. There’s lots of other things I choose to not do, and to do, I find these choices easy, and not Rocky at all.
I’m not claiming to, or trying to, make any kind of political statement neither do I have any great motive other than pleasing myself, and it’s working 👍