maxcatch nano & competition skyhigh rods opinions?

jc123

has anyone got either the maxcatch nano or competition skyhigh rods, with comparable opinions?
thinking of getting one in #5 or #6

jc123

have trawled through about 40 pages of that thread but not much info on those 2 particular models tho

skajtrout

I've owned a couple of Leichi Nano rods, they were ok, decent enough. Have to say no better than a Shakey Agility 2 for nearly half as much money though. One thing I will say is that they were cheaper buying them from Leichi than Maxcatch at the time (about 4 years ago) two halves of the same coin of course but they were approx. £80 ea landed from Leichi, and as memory serves around £120 from Maxcatch, go figure. I'd still buy a Shakey in preference though, every bit as good a rod for about £55.

Skaj

shortcircuit

jc123

I've owned a couple of Leichi Nano rods, they were ok, decent enough. Have to say no better than a Shakey Agility 2 for nearly half as much money though. One thing I will say is that they were cheaper buying them from Leichi than Maxcatch at the time (about 4 years ago) two halves of the same coin of course but they were approx. £80 ea landed from Leichi, and as memory serves around £120 from Maxcatch, go figure. I'd still buy a Shakey in preference though, every bit as good a rod for about £55.

Skaj
thanks, thats interesting because ive got an Agility 2 in 9'6" #6 that was probably my most used rod (was) really versatile and i honestly could not fault it and was considering the maxcatch nano in a #6 or #5 depending on the feel and action of them?
I did get a price from Leichi direct which was cheaper but for one rod they wanted £90. for shipping, so works out a lot dearer

jc123

I got this one for Christmas and I must say that so far I am very happy with it.

I have the 9' 4#. To be honest, I would have preferred an 8' or an 8' 6" but they don't make a 4# in that length
the claimed weight of the #4 and #5 is very light, how do you rate the feel and action or comparison to something else?

shortcircuit

the claimed weight of the #4 and #5 is very light, how do you rate the feel and action or comparison to something else?
The claimed weight is accurate I put mine on an accurate electronic scales and it came out at something like 78 g which is incredibly light.

Using the rod, the feel is really good, especially when using single dry fly or dry and a light dropper. There is a real effortlessness about casting.

Unfortunately I have little to compare it to because I have not owned many rods. It certainly is light years ahead of the Greys GR20 I had been using previously. However I did cast a Hardy Zephrus 3 wt pre pandemic and the Hardy felt like it was from another planet it was so nice. But that was a 3 wt and maybe only 7 and a half or 8 feet so perhaps not a fair comparison

jc123

sounds good, the comp skyhigh says medium fast action, so by the sounds of yours its not too fast then, which is what i was after, was considering the #5 in the skyhigh, or a #6 in the nano. am undecided at the mo.