Maxcatch Tenkara Outfit Advice

gerry_tweedie

Been thinking about getting a Tenkara outfit to try out next season and found some kits from Maxcatch. I haven't had anything from Maxcatch before and have no experience with Tenkara so looking for some advice. What are thoughts on these https://m.maxcatchfishing.com/Tenkara_combo_.html what action should I be looking for as a beginner?

baztek1

Been thinking about getting a Tenkara outfit to try out next season and found some kits from Maxcatch. I haven't had anything from Maxcatch before and have no experience with Tenkara so looking for some advice. What are thoughts on these https://m.maxcatchfishing.com/Tenkara_combo_.html what action should I be looking for as a beginner?
Sent you a pm mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

morayfisher

Trust Member
I bought one of those full kits from Maxcatch a while ago and there is nothing much wrong with it.
The rod sock along with a nice hard tube feels quality. The flies weren’t and the furled lines I haven’t found much use for.
I got a 330cm one but with hindsight should have gone for 360cm or maybe a zoom rod to at least that length. A bit thicker and heavier than a (much) more expensive rod but it certainly catches fish!

Btw Tenkara fishing has definitely improved my success rate compared to regular fly tackle, on the same water.

russfx

Perhaps a bit late to be useful for you Gerry, but hopefully useful for others who follow, when I started out with tenkara I struggled with the 7:3 and 8:2 actions, but found the much softer 6:4 actions easy to get to grips with...haven't looked back!

morayfisher

Trust Member
Perhaps a bit late to be useful for you Gerry, but hopefully useful for others who follow, when I started out with tenkara I struggled with the 7:3 and 8:2 actions, but found the much softer 6:4 actions easy to get to grips with...haven't looked back!
Can I ask what rod(s) you have with the 6:4 action?
Cheers

russfx

Can I ask what rod(s) you have with the 6:4 action?
Cheers
sure! But I don't think any are available!

I have a Daiwa Enshou (which have now been replaced by their expert range - but if you can find a second hand enshou it's worth it...) https://www.tenkarabum.com/daiwa-tenkara-rods.html

I also treated myself to a DT Karasu, which is a really premium rod, but in my opinion worth every penny. https://www.discovertenkara.com/karasu-360-400/

Personally I'd suggest you take a look on the tenkarabum website (check if he's still shipping to the UK!) - he only stocks rods that are worth buying

morayfisher

Trust Member
also, whilst they are far from perfect, the Tenkara USA rods would be a good way to get a reasonable rod at a reasonable price.
I’ve got one of these for next season but as I mentioned, not fished with it yet.

I looked at the DT rods but the price is just a bit much for me right now.

russfx

I’ve got one of these for next season but as I mentioned, not fished with it yet.

I looked at the DT rods but the price is just a bit much for me right now.
Yes, it's a lot! But you get what you pay for :)

I've not fished the tanuki rods - but hear that they are just fine... hope you enjoy it!

Damo

Hi,

If you want to get a Tanuki rod he has a dealer in Italy. He ships much cheaper than from the States and you won´t get stung for import duty.

Their website is a bit basic but you can mail them from the address on their Facebook page:

(12) Alps Store & Fishing Service | Facebook

I´ve bought a couple of Oni rods from him and the service has been excellent. Drop him a mail, his name is Gianluca and he speaks excellent English.

Cheers,

Damian F

Latest posts