MAXCATCH Vs Cortland

bbamboo

Makes you wonder eh ? One thing I didn't mention which I suppose I should in these enlightened times is the environmental impact of manufacture. Do Maxcatch manufacture to the same standards ? Or vise versa. I know nothing about manufacturing fly lines but maybe someone on here does.
I think if we found the truth a lot of the lines will be coming from the same workshops, just like reels blanks you name it. Not too long ago there was three manufacturers of fishing line in the world,yet people used to argue about one being better than the rest. When it comes to fishing I suspect it's a small world. But a busy one. Cortland are made in the USA so I guess we can leave them out of it.👍

Last edited:

webblade

Makes you wonder eh ? One thing I didn't mention which I suppose I should in these enlightened times is the environmental impact of manufacture. Do Maxcatch manufacture to the same standards ? Or vise versa. I know nothing about manufacturing fly lines but maybe someone on here does.
You seem to be clutching at straws now. Your review was a fail from the outset. You pitched the worst of Maxcatch lines against what many on here would agree is the best cortland line. What did you really expect? You don't seem to know much about Maxcatch lines because if you did you would have bought the gold. Yet you thought yourself worthy of putting out a review on the subject 🤔

shortcircuit

I actually think the OP got unlucky with the line. I have an Eco in 3 weight and I am very happy with it. very little memory , shoots well and floats well.

morangiedave

You seem to be clutching at straws now. Your review was a fail from the outset. You pitched the worst of Maxcatch lines against what many on here would agree is the best cortland line. What did you really expect? You don't seem to know much about Maxcatch lines because if you did you would have bought the gold. Yet you thought yourself worthy of putting out a review on the subject 🤔
Read the first line again. You sound emotional.

diawl bach

This review doesn't reflect my experience of using MC lines particularly this part of the comparison -

It's fairly rough to the touch and didn't improve on the water grinding throught the rings like a muddy rope.

I find it odd that following dozens of posts giving positive feedback on MC lines the one thread that dedicates itself to comparing Cortland and Maxcatch has been written by someone who's somehow found a line with a defect which, as far as I'm aware, no one else has encountered.

Wouldn't it have been better to have returned the line, received a replacement and compared that to the line which cost 500% more?

In my experience Matchcatch lines are robust, slick, cast well, lie straight on the water and float well when required. I have three types of their floating lines as well as intermediates and sink tips, all are excellent, I wouldn't consider buying a Cortland line again, the Cortland Peach and Sylk lines I've owned cracked badly after a season.

All told I have 9 lines from MC thanks to their generous distribution of freebies. On one occasion I had a defective intermediate line, took a photo, passed it on to their CS who, on the strength of the photo, replaced it with apologies and chucked in another intermediate line as well as some snips, all FOC.

bbamboo

I have one eco which was a freebie looks fine to me,can't see anything wrong with it. Yes if pushed I would say the gold is better but only because I have used that line more. I only recommend something I have tried and tested. My advice would be purchase a gold and comeback in 6 months and tell us what you think. I will bet you don't pay silly money for a Cortland again.🤔

morangiedave

I’m fully aware your line is green, and five years ago Cortlands lines were fine, I said about three years ago a new Cortland line was cracking within 12 months.
S.

This review doesn't reflect my experience of using MC lines particularly this part of the comparison -

It's fairly rough to the touch and didn't improve on the water grinding throught the rings like a muddy rope.

I find it odd that following dozens of posts giving positive feedback on MC lines the one thread that dedicates itself to comparing Cortland and Maxcatch has been written by someone who's somehow found a line with a defect which, as far as I'm aware, no one else has encountered.

Wouldn't it have been better to have returned the line, received a replacement and compared that to the line which cost 500% more?

In my experience Matchcatch lines are robust, slick, cast well, lie straight on the water and float well when required. I have three types of their floating lines as well as intermediates and sink tips, all are excellent, I wouldn't consider buying a Cortland line again, the Cortland Peach and Sylk lines I've owned cracked badly after a season.

All told I have 9 lines from MC thanks to their generous distribution of freebies. On one occasion I had a defective intermediate line, took a photo, passed it on to their CS who, on the strength of the photo, replaced it with apologies and chucked in another intermediate line as well as some snips, all FOC.
Did you claim on Cortland's warranty ? I would be interested to get in touch with Cortland and find out why you and Mrtrouts lines crack within a season. My own peach line is 5 years old with no cracking. Let me know what they said.

morangiedave

I have one eco which was a freebie looks fine to me,can't see anything wrong with it. Yes if pushed I would say the gold is better but only because I have used that line more. I only recommend something I have tried and tested. My advice would be purchase a gold and comeback in 6 months and tell us what you think. I will bet you don't pay silly money for a Cortland again.🤔
I don't regard £55 as silky money although I'm aware some might. Cortland manufacturers in America so you would need to factor in the cost of manufacture and taxes as opposed to Maxcatch.

morangiedave

Use the Maxcatch website using Stock20 code and get 1 delivered for £13.84.
I bought one off Amazon, if you go through Maxcatch website delivery is too slow for me unless you pay another £10 which makes it more expensive than Amazon.

diawl bach

Did you claim on Cortland's warranty ? I would be interested to get in touch with Cortland and find out why you and Mrtrouts lines crack within a season. My own peach line is 5 years old with no cracking. Let me know what they said.
If you must know - and this is totally irrelevant to the OP - I couldn't be bothered, a year's work from a line is poor performance but nothing to cadge a new one over .

What I find interesting is that you buy an obviously defective line and use it to represent the Maxcatch brand against Cortland, it seems like a useless examination of the market at best and at worst a deliberate attempt to mislead.

bbamboo

I don't regard £55 as silky money although I'm aware some might. Cortland manufacturers in America so you would need to factor in the cost of manufacture and taxes as opposed to Maxcatch.
I am afraid it is if your only getting a year out of it.🤭

webblade

If you must know - and this is totally irrelevant to the OP - I couldn't be bothered, a year's work from a line is poor performance but nothing to cadge a new one over .

What I find interesting is that you buy an obviously defective line and use it to represent the Maxcatch brand against Cortland, it seems like a useless examination of the market at best and at worst a deliberate attempt to mislead.
I think he decided to join the anti-maxcatch brigade. Thought he'd come up with some sort of intelligent comparison review to reflect on that. Except his review failed at the very first sentence by his own words "I know not a fair comparison but here's my tupence" 😂 . Like what was the point of a comparison you deem to be unfair? What can be gained from such an exercise only bringing your intelligence into question.

original cormorant

That is simply irrelevant. We are talking of how much it costs you to buy not reasons why there might be a difference.

skajtrout

First up, the picture of the “Maxcatch” line the OP put up has a label that I’ve never seen with any Maxcatch line, distinctly moody.

i’d venture to say that someone has lifted your leg here and sold you a cheap two quid millend for 10 quid, something like that.

That aside, it reads to me like a distinct case of confirmation bias.

Skaj

diawl bach

I think he decided to join the anti-maxcatch brigade. Thought he'd come up with some sort of intelligent comparison review to reflect on that. Except his review failed at the very first sentence by his own words "I know not a fair comparison but here's my tupence" 😂 . Like what was the point of a comparison you deem to be unfair? What can be gained from such an exercise only bringing your intelligence into question.
An admittedly unfair comparison then.
The interesting aspect of the post is that the chosen 444 is the SL, a distance casting version rather than the Peach 444 which I'm accustomed to along with many other fly fishers, it would have been interesting if it had been compared to a Windcutter, MC's distance line which sells at 30% of the cost of the Cortland.
A fair comparison would be well accepted, maybe morangiedave will try a Windcutter and report back on how it performs, that would be a great outcome.

morangiedave

How would I know the line was 'obviously defective' I bought it online ? If you read the original post and my replies to the Maxcatch massive you'll see I didn't buy the lines to do a comparison, I bought the Cortland because I was disappointed with the Maxcatch. I went to Graham's in Inverness and asked for a 6 weight floating line. The chappy behind the counter said they go from £9-£90. I said in the middle then £50. He chose the Cortland 444 and said it was a very good line. He also offered the peach line, I said I had a peach one and was happy with it but would try what he recommended. He also said there's also Airflo and I said anything interesting but Airflo.