MAXCATCH Vs Cortland

morangiedave

That is simply irrelevant. We are talking of how much it costs you to buy not reasons why there might be a difference.
Not irrelevant in the slightest. The working conditions of those that make the lines and the environmental standards the manufacture adheres to are all relevant especially to the young folk of today.

morangiedave

An admittedly unfair comparison then.
The interesting aspect of the post is that the chosen 444 is the SL, a distance casting version rather than the Peach 444 which I'm accustomed to along with many other fly fishers, it would have been interesting if it had been compared to a Windcutter, MC's distance line which sells at 30% of the cost of the Cortland.
A fair comparison would be well accepted, maybe morangiedave will try a Windcutter and report back on how it performs, that would be a great outcome.
See my post above, the line was recommended to me.

morangiedave

First up, the picture of the “Maxcatch” line the OP put up has a label that I’ve never seen with any Maxcatch line, distinctly moody.

i’d venture to say that someone has lifted your leg here and sold you a cheap two quid millend for 10 quid, something like that.

That aside, it reads to me like a distinct case of confirmation bias.

Skaj
The seller on Amazon is Uni-fishing, are you telling me they are selling fake goods ?

morangiedave

I am afraid it is if your only getting a year out of it.🤭
I've had 5 out of my Peach one. So I'm surprised Mrtrout says his cracked after one season. I'd be interested to know what Cortland's response was assuming he returned the line. Seems to be a thrifty character so I would have thought he did. If he didn't and still has it he can send it to me, I'll pay the postage and send him a Maxcatch Line of his choice. I'll then send the line to Cortland and let the forum know what they come back with.

Mrtrout

I've had 5 out of my Peach one. So I'm surprised Mrtrout says his cracked after one season. I'd be interested to know what Cortland's response was assuming he returned the line. Seems to be a thrifty character so I would have thought he did. If he didn't and still has it he can send it to me, I'll pay the postage and send him a Maxcatch Line of his choice. I'll then send the line to Cortland and let the forum know what they come back with.
For the third time my peach line was bought three years ago, not five like yours. If you read my replies properly you’ll see that I said I always liked the Cortland peach line prior to this one which after approximately a years use it crazed all over.
Im far from thrifty, ask my dearly beloved, I buy top end rods and reels and love spending money on good tackle, but lines are, let’s be honest, the biggest rip off in the fishing industry.
For many years I was buying Rio, Orvis, Cortland Barrio and Loop lines which I cringed at spending so much money on what is basically a two pound product with an immense mark up.
Ive had long discussions with a guy who worked for Northern fly lines and what he told me was hard to believe, so when Maxcatch came along and, like you I read good reports and watched Noel on here cast one to the horizon at a Stillwater near me I decided to buy a couple.
Thats three years ago and now on all my reels I have gradually replaced every line I had with the gold lines.
They are smooth slick, float like corks and lie straight right off the spool which compared to some lines costing eight times as much is incredible.
No I don’t have the old peach line I put it down to experience and never bought another. I do have one Cortland Creek line on one reel, it looks good so far but it only comes out a couple of times a year.
I hope that explains things clearly as your constant replies to posts on here are becoming tiring, better to accept that you put up a dummy review and have been slated for it.
S.

original cormorant

Not irrelevant in the slightest. The working conditions of those that make the lines and the environmental standards the manufacture adheres to are all relevant especially to the young folk of today.
Your original posting is about comparing the quality of two flylines. Intellectual property theft, social and economic deprivation, human rights and saving the planet are not relevant to to the performance of a flyline - no matter how argumentative (and of course right) you may be.

campsiefisher

Cortland peach used to be my go-to line, had mine for years, and it lasted probably 5 or 6 seasons possibly more. Like MrTrout i bought one a few years ago and it cracked, after a season, I then found out that Cortland had been bought over by a group of private investors, now I know this may just be coincidental, but that experience took me away from buying Cortland. Possibly unfairly it may just have been a bad line, but the fact they had changed ownership dissuaded me from buying another as takeovers mostly lead to cost cuts.

Snowbee were great, but I could never get more than a season out of them, Scientific Anglers Imho were head and shoulders above them all, but got too expensive due to import fees etc.

Fly lines are consumables, bank or boat, a proppelor doesn't give a damn if you have a £10 or £100 fly line it'll slice either up, even on a bank sharp stones kill a line. So I now buy economical lines, used to be John Norris, but Maxcatch gold are far superior for the price, and well worth the money.

Rhithrogena

you would need to factor in the cost of manufacture and taxes as opposed to Maxcatch.
Umm, no; You gave the MC line a bad review, cost is irrelevant here, surely. If it was an expensive line you would still have given it a bad review, wouldn't you? Oh...I see...OK

morangiedave

Umm, no; You gave the MC line a bad review, cost is irrelevant here, surely. If it was an expensive line you would still have given it a bad review, wouldn't you? Oh...I see...OK
It's not me that's got a hump about cost. It's Mrtrout and his buddy's. If the Cortland had been poor I would have criticized it. I don't believe I did give the Maxcatch a bad review, I told it as I found it and ended by saying it's a £10 line and worth that but for me I'm happy to pay the extra for the Cortland which is a far superior line in all respects.

Paul_B

It's not me that's got a hump about cost. It's Mrtrout and his buddy's. If the Cortland had been poor I would have criticized it. I don't believe I did give the Maxcatch a bad review, I told it as I found it and ended by saying it's a £10 line and worth that but for me I'm happy to pay the extra for the Cortland which is a far superior line in all respects.
Not to worry Maxcatch give a 12 months warranty :)

Vintage Badger

After reading various good reviews about Maxcatch lines I thought I'd find out what they were like for myself. I ordered an economy DT #3 100 foot floating line in moss green directly from the Maxcatch website, which was $9.99 reduced from $15.00. This cost me (with the 20% discount code applied) a total of £6.78, including PayPal's money conversion charges and economy postage.

The line arrived though my letterbox around two weeks later, which I didn't think was bad. I've not had chance to cast the line on water yet but have tried it in the garden on grass. My initial findings indicate that it seems a nice and perfectly usable line; it's smooth, limp and supple and doesn't seem to display any noticeable signs of memory. It goes through the rod rings nicely with no obvious rough-sounding, friction-related noises, unlike some other lines I've bought over the years. My only minor criticism is that it has a noticeable smell to it, a bit like a cross between vinegar and Brasso, but I'm sure that will soon wear off - I'm going to give it a wash before using in on a river to be on the safe side though.

Other than that, for less than £7 delivered I can't complain and I seem to have a perfectly serviceable fly line. I'll update this post once I've used the line on a river, but impressions so far look very promising.

Gdog

Probably the cheapest way to buy Maxcatch products is via their own website. Change the currency to £ and apply the code: Stock20.
You're preaching to the converted, there is a Maxcatch thread on the forum with over 3000 posts sharing members experiences with Maxcatch products and discount codes.

Last edited:

eddleston123

The last two Cortland Peach lines that I have owned, have began cracking in the running line, in less than two years.

No, I haven't sent them back, that is my fault, I accept that.

They are not 'cracked' up to what they are made out to be. - Pun intended.

I have a Maxcatch gold line, which has been used for over fifty outings and so signs of coiling or cracking. We all know by now the the difference in price.

Perhaps I have also been unlucky!

Douglas

Last edited:

Beacon Beige

Cortland 444 lines last ages if you use Cortland cleaning pads every 3 or so outings , I have 2 #5 444 lines bought in 2016 and still no cracks!

Cortlands Cleaning Liquid also comes in small bottles , Well worth buying a bottle if you have a couple of 444 lines!

Col

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rhithrogena

I have 2 #5 444 lines bought in 2016 and still no cracks!
I have a 444SL (the mint green one) DT5 that was bought in 1987. I used it for a couple of seasons and stored it on the reel until the start of lockdown last year when I was reborn as a trout flyfisher. I turned it round on the reel and have used the other end often since then It is absolutely fine. PVC lines kept in the dark don't degrade, it seems...

Latest posts