Fly Fishing Forum banner

MAXCATCH Vs Cortland

9K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  bbamboo 
#1 ·
I know not a fair comparison but here's my tupence. For a while i've been threating a new floater until i saw the cost of new lines ? MAXCATCH seems to be heavily promoted and received a few good reviews, so i bought one off Amazon for a tenner. Out off the box i pretty much got what i expected. I'm tempted to compare it to a mill end but i've handled better mill ends. It's fairly rough to the touch and didn't improve on the water grinding throught the rings like a muddy rope. I fished all day with it, the only limitation i found was trying to cover moving fish at a distance which required a false cast. So I took advantage of a dentists visit in Inverness to head to Grahams for an upgrade and settled for a Cortland 444. I have a few Cortlands and never been disappointed. At £55 this seems to be mid-priced these days. Out of the box it's smooth slick and oozes quality. First cast reminds me why i pay more. The line whistled through the rings and lifts off the water like a feather. No false casting or hauling, just effortless casting. In my younger days i would have put up with the Maxcatch and it's limitations but in advancing years i appreciate luxury more and happy to pay for it.

Is the Maxcatch worth £10 ? If it was what i could afford then yes although i suspect there's better out there at the same cost. Stripping the line off the spool i found a few nicks in it, this makes me think it's quite soft.

Is the Cortland worth £55 ? Every penny. Provided you can justify it.

Pictures included so you know this isn't a T&S fake promotional review ?
Hair Green Light Product Automotive tire
Bottle cap Gas Circle Measuring instrument Fashion accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Kind of hard to say but that looks like a Maxcatch new-starter line that's currently $5.20 (before discount). They were about half that pre-covid.

The only Maxcatch lines I've bought have been their Gold lines that used to be £12.50. I have to say, the Gold line has been the best line I've ever bought and that includes a Cortland 444 (but that was a long time ago and maybe I was unlucky.) More recently I bought an Orvis Clearwater for £50 and in comparison to the Gold it's rubbish - terrible memory.

Try the Gold.

#12 ·
What a pity you chose to buy the cheapest Maxcatch Eco line which are £3.50 online or free with most other purchases, hardly a fair test.
If you’d stumped up to £12.50 you could have had a Maxcatch Gold, a proper line that’s supple straight out the box, smooth, flies out the rings and floats like a cork.
Before these lines came along I used many top brand lines, most were a big disappointment, I also used to like the Cortland peach lines.
But a few years ago, probably three my new Peach started to crack all over after only 12 months of modest use and a few others had similar complaints.
Im in my third season with my gold line it’s all I use these days and it performs as well as the day I got it.
Try one then come back to us, also let us know how the Peach line looks in 12 months time?
S.

Reactions: noel
#13 ·
What a pity you chose to buy the cheapest Maxcatch Eco line which are £3.50 online or free with most other purchases, hardly a fair test.
If you'd stumped up to £12.50 you could have had a Maxcatch Gold, a proper line that's supple straight out the box, smooth, flies out the rings and floats like a cork.
Before these lines came along I used many top brand lines, most were a big disappointment, I also used to like the Cortland peach lines.
But a few years ago, probably three my new Peach started to crack all over after only 12 months of modest use and a few others had similar complaints.
Im in my third season with my gold line it's all I use these days and it performs as well as the day I got it.
Try one then come back to us, also let us know how the Peach line looks in 12 months time?
S.
Read my post again. First line. Incase your colour blind the Cortland is green. I've checked my 7 weight and it's a peach coloured Cortland which 5 years old with no signs of cracking. I searched Amazon for Maxcatch and the one I bought was the first that came up. I'll buy the gold version and then review it.

#14 ·
I’m fully aware your line is green, and five years ago Cortlands lines were fine, I said about three years ago a new Cortland line was cracking within 12 months.
S.

Reactions: catzrob
#30 ·
I'm fully aware your line is green, and five years ago Cortlands lines were fine, I said about three years ago a new Cortland line was cracking within 12 months.
S.
This review doesn't reflect my experience of using MC lines particularly this part of the comparison -

It's fairly rough to the touch and didn't improve on the water grinding throught the rings like a muddy rope.

I find it odd that following dozens of posts giving positive feedback on MC lines the one thread that dedicates itself to comparing Cortland and Maxcatch has been written by someone who's somehow found a line with a defect which, as far as I'm aware, no one else has encountered.

Wouldn't it have been better to have returned the line, received a replacement and compared that to the line which cost 500% more?

In my experience Matchcatch lines are robust, slick, cast well, lie straight on the water and float well when required. I have three types of their floating lines as well as intermediates and sink tips, all are excellent, I wouldn't consider buying a Cortland line again, the Cortland Peach and Sylk lines I've owned cracked badly after a season.

All told I have 9 lines from MC thanks to their generous distribution of freebies. On one occasion I had a defective intermediate line, took a photo, passed it on to their CS who, on the strength of the photo, replaced it with apologies and chucked in another intermediate line as well as some snips, all FOC.
Did you claim on Cortland's warranty ? I would be interested to get in touch with Cortland and find out why you and Mrtrouts lines crack within a season. My own peach line is 5 years old with no cracking. Let me know what they said.

#15 ·
The bit I can't understand is you say you did your research surely that must have been on here and if so why did you go via Amazon and not follow all the directions given on here . If not on here why make a new thread on here comparing the Eco line against a Cortland line ?

#19 ·
Makes you wonder eh ? One thing I didn't mention which I suppose I should in these enlightened times is the environmental impact of manufacture. Do Maxcatch manufacture to the same standards ? Or vise versa. I know nothing about manufacturing fly lines but maybe someone on here does.

#18 ·
me.
I'm tempted to compare it to a mill end but i've handled better mill ends.
I suspect you got a duff one (maybe someone is selling old Mill Ends as Maxcatch ?).
I have several Eco lines, a Windcutter, and a Gold from Maxcatch. I find them all excellent. My oldest Eco has plenty of cracks after a full seasons very hard distance use and is now a brilliant 'midge tip' line.
The Windcutter is my favourite, the low stretch core, the grey colour and the very long front taper make it perfect for stillwater dry fly. I have used little else this season. The Gold is a 3wt and only gets short range river use, but is very nice.
I have used Cortland 444/444SL and 333, SA Aircel, and Wulff TT lines in the past and excellent they are. The Maxcatch lines are close, if not superior in quality.
I see no point in paying more than the £12 a Windcutter costs. I can get 4 for the cost of a new 444, with enough left for 2 Ecos!

#27 ·
This review doesn't reflect my experience of using MC lines particularly this part of the comparison -

It's fairly rough to the touch and didn't improve on the water grinding throught the rings like a muddy rope.

I find it odd that following dozens of posts giving positive feedback on MC lines the one thread that dedicates itself to comparing Cortland and Maxcatch has been written by someone who's somehow found a line with a defect which, as far as I'm aware, no one else has encountered.

Wouldn't it have been better to have returned the line, received a replacement and compared that to the line which cost 500% more?

In my experience Matchcatch lines are robust, slick, cast well, lie straight on the water and float well when required. I have three types of their floating lines as well as intermediates and sink tips, all are excellent, I wouldn't consider buying a Cortland line again, the Cortland Peach and Sylk lines I've owned cracked badly after a season.

All told I have 9 lines from MC thanks to their generous distribution of freebies. On one occasion I had a defective intermediate line, took a photo, passed it on to their CS who, on the strength of the photo, replaced it with apologies and chucked in another intermediate line as well as some snips, all FOC.

#28 ·
I have one eco which was a freebie looks fine to me,can't see anything wrong with it. Yes if pushed I would say the gold is better but only because I have used that line more. I only recommend something I have tried and tested. My advice would be purchase a gold and comeback in 6 months and tell us what you think. I will bet you don't pay silly money for a Cortland again.?

#38 ·
First up, the picture of the “Maxcatch” line the OP put up has a label that I’ve never seen with any Maxcatch line, distinctly moody.

i’d venture to say that someone has lifted your leg here and sold you a cheap two quid millend for 10 quid, something like that.

That aside, it reads to me like a distinct case of confirmation bias.

Skaj

#43 ·
First up, the picture of the "Maxcatch" line the OP put up has a label that I've never seen with any Maxcatch line, distinctly moody.

i'd venture to say that someone has lifted your leg here and sold you a cheap two quid millend for 10 quid, something like that.

That aside, it reads to me like a distinct case of confirmation bias.

Skaj
The seller on Amazon is Uni-fishing, are you telling me they are selling fake goods ?

#48 ·
Cortland peach used to be my go-to line, had mine for years, and it lasted probably 5 or 6 seasons possibly more. Like MrTrout i bought one a few years ago and it cracked, after a season, I then found out that Cortland had been bought over by a group of private investors, now I know this may just be coincidental, but that experience took me away from buying Cortland. Possibly unfairly it may just have been a bad line, but the fact they had changed ownership dissuaded me from buying another as takeovers mostly lead to cost cuts.

Snowbee were great, but I could never get more than a season out of them, Scientific Anglers Imho were head and shoulders above them all, but got too expensive due to import fees etc.

Fly lines are consumables, bank or boat, a proppelor doesn't give a damn if you have a £10 or £100 fly line it'll slice either up, even on a bank sharp stones kill a line. So I now buy economical lines, used to be John Norris, but Maxcatch gold are far superior for the price, and well worth the money.

#54 ·
After reading various good reviews about Maxcatch lines I thought I'd find out what they were like for myself. I ordered an economy DT #3 100 foot floating line in moss green directly from the Maxcatch website, which was $9.99 reduced from $15.00. This cost me (with the 20% discount code applied) a total of £6.78, including PayPal's money conversion charges and economy postage.

The line arrived though my letterbox around two weeks later, which I didn't think was bad. I've not had chance to cast the line on water yet but have tried it in the garden on grass. My initial findings indicate that it seems a nice and perfectly usable line; it's smooth, limp and supple and doesn't seem to display any noticeable signs of memory. It goes through the rod rings nicely with no obvious rough-sounding, friction-related noises, unlike some other lines I've bought over the years. My only minor criticism is that it has a noticeable smell to it, a bit like a cross between vinegar and Brasso, but I'm sure that will soon wear off - I'm going to give it a wash before using in on a river to be on the safe side though.

Other than that, for less than £7 delivered I can't complain and I seem to have a perfectly serviceable fly line. I'll update this post once I've used the line on a river, but impressions so far look very promising.

#58 · (Edited)
The last two Cortland Peach lines that I have owned, have began cracking in the running line, in less than two years.

No, I haven't sent them back, that is my fault, I accept that.

They are not 'cracked' up to what they are made out to be. - Pun intended.

I have a Maxcatch gold line, which has been used for over fifty outings and so signs of coiling or cracking. We all know by now the the difference in price.

Perhaps I have also been unlucky!

Douglas

#59 ·
Cortland 444 lines last ages if you use Cortland cleaning pads every 3 or so outings , I have 2 #5 444 lines bought in 2016 and still no cracks!

Cortlands Cleaning Liquid also comes in small bottles , Well worth buying a bottle if you have a couple of 444 lines!

Col

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#60 ·
I have 2 #5 444 lines bought in 2016 and still no cracks!
I have a 444SL (the mint green one) DT5 that was bought in 1987. I used it for a couple of seasons and stored it on the reel until the start of lockdown last year when I was reborn as a trout flyfisher. I turned it round on the reel and have used the other end often since then It is absolutely fine. PVC lines kept in the dark don't degrade, it seems...

#62 ·
Yes, my 80's 444 has had a couple of coats of Permaplas....
[FOR INFO: Permaplas is no longer available to buy in case anyone is wondering. It was a paste which had the plasticisers that PVC contains in it. I remember concerns about the Polychlorinated Biphenyls it contained back in the 80's. PCB's are known carcinogens and persistent organic pollutants in the environment, are readily absorbed through the skin and if you are still using an old jar, be aware of this.]

#69 ·
To be fair to OP he told us what he was reviewing and gave what seems to me a fair review. I think he just didn't realise the line was defective, assumed that for £3.50 that was what you got and considered it functional.

Maybe he'll try a second eco and a Gold for comparison now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.