Maxcatch

Gdog

Hi everyone,

I am new here (did a small introduction in a previous post).

I also have been reading this thread and its numerous pages and have a few questions.
I want to start fly fishing for brown trout (in France), my local streams are not very wide, i'd say 4-5 meters max. So I am looking for a rod for small fish and small streams. After reading here and there stuff I ended up on this Maxcatch thread, the gears look good for the value.

I have listed a number of rods which could suit my needs:
  • Ultraglass rod in 7' #3(for the good sensations of fiberglass on small fish)
  • Ultra-lite rod but what size ? 7'6" maybe
  • V-light rod, same about size

Any advice to help choose one please ?
Thanks

I have the V Light 7' #3, middle to tip action. I'm very pleased with it.

mebu

Or the Echo Glass, 6ft 9 inches, 3wt, for about £200, a lovely casting/playing rod.

Peter

Oops sorry just realised this was a Maxcatch thread. Still love the Echo Glass on my small river though.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Well my october order of tippet has arrived via that slow boat from china :)
The tipper box is worth more than the line cost and will be very handy, also one of those neck warmer come masks,
I've tried a few knots dry and they're fine so will use it next time out

jerryrum

Hi everyone,

I am new here (did a small introduction in a previous post).

I also have been reading this thread and its numerous pages and have a few questions.
I want to start fly fishing for brown trout (in France), my local streams are not very wide, i'd say 4-5 meters max. So I am looking for a rod for small fish and small streams. After reading here and there stuff I ended up on this Maxcatch thread, the gears look good for the value.

I have listed a number of rods which could suit my needs:
  • Ultraglass rod in 7' #3(for the good sensations of fiberglass on small fish)
  • Ultra-lite rod but what size ? 7'6" maybe
  • V-light rod, same about size

Any advice to help choose one please ?
Thanks

I have the Ultra-lite 7'6" 3# and it is my most used rod.

I keep it made up, ready to go in my car. When the weather is good I nip out at lunch times so it is sometimes used 4 or 5 times a week, for a couple of hours a time, often on small rivers similar to what you described.

If you look at my photo's on here it's easy to spot due to the lurid colour. I mainly use it for Chub, Dace, Roach and Rudd, but I have had Trout and Grayling on it, as well as Perch, Pike and Carp.

I only bought it because I snapped two more expensive rods by slamming them in the car door (two separate occasions).

I take it with me when I go away on whole day fishing trips, but it normally stays in the car while I use one of my more expensive rods, I always like to have it as a back up.

For a first fly fishing rod it will certainly do the job, and it will give you something to compare more expensive rods to if you decide to upgrade later.

This gives me a good excuse to post some pictures.
Rod1.PNG

Here it is, teamed with a maxcatch cheapo reel and line. Dry fly for Rudd on my village pond.

Rod2.PNG

having just landed a feisty Chubb. Wet fly on the river Great Ouse.

Rod3.PNG

And here it is resting up after a full day battling trout on a Yorkshire stream. (despite what I said earlier about using other rods for longer sessions).

Jamie Dundee

I did log a return, but will cost more than a new rod to send it back from my country so ordered a spare section so that I can at least try to sell the rod once that arrives

True to the word you do get what you pay for.

Yesterday I also got banned from the MaxCatch facebook group, why, cause I made a comment...

A guy asked why his V-Top rod can't cast a full line like his 12 year old more expensive rod, I said he can't expect a medium fast action rod that costs a 5th of the price to cast the same as a expensive fast action rod.
Banned for that, how pathetic.

So many posts of their rods that break on first use gets deleted immediately. Try posting a review on the maxcatch site, or facebook sites and see it deleted immediately, then get banned as well.

The so called MaxCatch "ambassadors" are all lying about the stuff so that they can keep on getting free stuff from them.

Their lines are ok, some reels are okish apart from the drags slipping every now and then or the one way bearing turning into a two way bearing. I would not touch their rods or reels again, learned the hard way.
To be fair I posted some critical stuff on the Maxcatch FB page, relating to crap customer service and none dispatch of orders, and the posts remain and I’m still subscribed despite asking the mods to delete my membership. The rod they managed to send me is ok (Black Star #7 9’) but about what I would expect for the money.

ShawnZA

To be fair I posted some critical stuff on the Maxcatch FB page, relating to crap customer service and none dispatch of orders, and the posts remain and I’m still subscribed despite asking the mods to delete my membership. The rod they managed to send me is ok (Black Star #7 9’) but about what I would expect for the money.

Very strange that they banned me then seeing I didn't say anything about their products or customer service being bad, was a fair comment in my mind. Perhaps it was because I said it was a medium fast action rod and they state it is a fast action rod on their site. Although in the reviews on their website people also mention it's a medium fast action so there they allowed it.
There was another comment on that FB post (and apparently still there) that they guy said no rod from them will be able to cast a full line and he didn't get banned haha

JayP

Personally I wouldn't buy any rod or reel unless I've tried it but would risk it on the smaller cheaper stuff, a bit like the hooks from Japan £4.70 ish for 100, so I expect liquorice, however they're very acceptable and have ordered more.
Paul do you have a link to the Japanese hooks you can send me?
Cheers JP

JayP

I have the Ultra-lite 7'6" 3# and it is my most used rod.

I keep it made up, ready to go in my car. When the weather is good I nip out at lunch times so it is sometimes used 4 or 5 times a week, for a couple of hours a time, often on small rivers similar to what you described.

If you look at my photo's on here it's easy to spot due to the lurid colour. I mainly use it for Chub, Dace, Roach and Rudd, but I have had Trout and Grayling on it, as well as Perch, Pike and Carp.

I only bought it because I snapped two more expensive rods by slamming them in the car door (two separate occasions).

I take it with me when I go away on whole day fishing trips, but it normally stays in the car while I use one of my more expensive rods, I always like to have it as a back up.

For a first fly fishing rod it will certainly do the job, and it will give you something to compare more expensive rods to if you decide to upgrade later.

This gives me a good excuse to post some pictures.
View attachment 32748
Here it is, teamed with a maxcatch cheapo reel and line. Dry fly for Rudd on my village pond.

View attachment 32749

having just landed a feisty Chubb. Wet fly on the river Great Ouse.

View attachment 32750

And here it is resting up after a full day battling trout on a Yorkshire stream. (despite what I said earlier about using other rods for longer sessions).
I have the same rod which was gifted to me by maxcatch for the poor quality and shoddy finish of their multi length nymph rod I had previously bought, this rod was even worse!!

Poorly finished guide feet showing through poorly wrapped guides finished with poorly applied finish.

20201121_103544.jpg

20201121_103712.jpg

Guide wrap trim end pulls

20201121_104020.jpg

Grip full of filler

20201121_103841.jpg

Poor quality fittings throughout, guides that don't line up and alignment dots in the wrong place, there isn't one section without three or more flaws.

Ok, but what does the rod fish like you ask? It's a sackless noodle with zero power in any part of the blank, any wild trout over 8" will soon overpower the blank, I wouldn't even trust it with a fairground goldfish.

The cheapest rods from the mainstream brands are worlds away from the two rods I have, Maxcatch are cheap yes, cheerful no.

The original nymph rod isn't too bad to fish with, just need to strip all the junk off and take it back to the bare blank and rebuild it, properly.

JoeOh

I work part time in a tackle shop, mostly coarse tackle, and I guess 80/90% of our delivered stock, bait excepted comes from Felixstow (China). Expansion of these direct purchase companies will pose a threat to tackle shops and therefore may impact those employed by them.

JoeOh

Another thing, buying blind is a risky thing, even if very cheap. A pet peeve is people trying out various rods, chairs etc in the shop and then excusing themselves and leaving. They then purchase over the net, saving themselves having to transport the items home. It's not about the cost as we can usually pricematch and we have a loyality points card. Seeing the general ageing demographic of c

JoeOh

(How do I edit. Net jumpy today).
Seeing the ageing demographic of our customers, the traditional tackle shop may be consigned to history in the near future.

JayP

(How do I edit. Net jumpy today).
Seeing the ageing demographic of our customers, the traditional tackle shop may be consigned to history in the near future.
Bottom left and next to the report tag is a drop down, click on that and you get an edit tag

noel

JoeOH as a couple of us have said before we would continue to buy from our local shops if they only listened to our requests ,I put in an order for a Shakey 6 piece match rod from my local shop and when I got to the shop it hadn't been ordered , I was in Saudi Arabia when I put in the order it was another 4 months before I got that rod .

corto maltese

Hi Pako.
Where in France are you ?
If your new to the sport then maxcatch is a good place to start, cheap, cheerful and not bad kit at all.
I'm in France and only fish the small streams, in my opinion, for what it's worth, 6 n half to 7 foot maxi, 2, 3 ,or 4 wt, I like a 3.
I fish cane now but that's cos I'm infected with caneovirus but I used to fish with carbon and the maxcatch small, light rods are spot on for small streams.
Best of luck on your new adventure, if you need some advice pm me but you'll get lots of better advice, and a load of moaning old Minnie's opinions as well 😆, by just doing what you did, asking the gang on here. That's what the forums here for, did me well when I started out, moaning old Minnie's have some great advice, top tips and are some great people too when you spend the time and get to know them, the internet is a wierd thing, an obnoxious old git on posts here turns into a lifelong friend when you get to meet them, I guess it's an internet thing 👍.
Please don't take that personally all my friends that I know and love who I met on here, I'm an obnoxious old git when I post here too but dammit, we have some good old times in person over a pint eh ?
I'll stop now before I'm sent to Coventry 😂
Best of luck kid 😉.
I reckon I've might of just got banned, that'll teach me to open my mouth on here on a Saturday after a few too many over the yard arm. Forgive me, I'm half cut and three points to the windward but hey, it's a saturday, right 🙄

Last edited:

corto maltese

Yeh, I'm doing ok Steven. Sorry to not get back to you yet. I'll call you tomorrow if that's ok ?, It would be good to have a chat.
Sorry mate, lots on me plate.

JoeOh

JoeOH as a couple of us have said before we would continue to buy from our local shops if they only listened to our requests ,I put in an order for a Shakey 6 piece match rod from my local shop and when I got to the shop it hadn't been ordered , I was in Saudi Arabia when I put in the order it was another 4 months before I got that rod .
I'm sorry to hear that Noel. In our shop, we take customer's details, phone number/ e-mail so we can let them know when item in stock. Also with direct contact with suppliers, we can inform when item is likely to be available. A lot of understandable delays at the moment and having "metal quality" problems with some of the imports recently. Again, sad for your poor service but again, forgetting my personal reasons, every traditional tackle shop closure is a terrible loss to our sport.
Also...
p.s. Thanks JayP