Maxcatch

noel

I am talking about 2001 when this happened and the shop knew me as a good friend as well as a good customer .

Last edited:

ejw

Worked with both my local tackle shops, helped out where I could, directed people to them, bought most of my consumables from them. Ran competitions for one and did the winter flytying (for free and supplied the tools and materials).
Didn't do any good they both closed. One retirement with no take up on the business and the other Orvis, just shut the local store, despite advance warning that the only other tackle shop was closing. Now over 100 mile round trip to another shop !
Now I have to wait until I can visit or use mail order. If I cannot feel or see it, I might as well use China !

Brook

Ordered a reel and line in early June.
waited till August before enquiring why my parcel was still in Singapore, no reply. Must have sent ten emails with no reply.
Only got a reply when I started a PayPal claim, then got dozens of computer generated replies with conflicting messages.
What great customer service.

Pako

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the help!
I am from Normandy.
I gonna grab maybe 2 rods to be sure, might offer one to my brother for Xmas.
But surely classic brands don't offer decent price 1st rod for beginners in fly fishing.
I'll place an order soonish and let you guys now (if I receive my order haha).

noel

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the help!
I am from Normandy.
I gonna grab maybe 2 rods to be sure, might offer one to my brother for Xmas.
But surely classic brands don't offer decent price 1st rod for beginners in fly fishing.
I'll place an order soonish and let you guys now (if I receive my order haha).
Just be patient about the delivery as you have seen there are more positives than negative replies .

Pako

So i ordered it, a 7' ultra light fly rod with a avid reel (and all the line,leader,tippet...)
As I am new to flyfishing, I need flies.
I plan on making my owns, I got the tools as I use them to make barbless assist hooks for trout lure fishing.
In the meantime I would like to by a few, mainly dry flies.
Would you recommend someone who makes them, a pre-filled box, a few fly names... ?
Thanks again !

lee71

So i ordered it, a 7' ultra light fly rod with a avid reel (and all the line,leader,tippet...)
I plan on making my owns, I got the tools as I use them to make barbless assist hooks for trout lure fishing.
Would you recommend someone who makes them, a pre-filled box, a few fly names... ?
Thanks again !
You could try here, https://www.fishskb.co.uk/product-category/skb-flies/skb-bob-s-pocket-box-sets/

Or here, https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwi9vqngvJftAhVZUBUIHRFlCSwQ0Qx6BAgjEAE

Vermontdrifter

Thanks again !
Salut Pako;
Tu as aussi Lucien à Troutline. https://www.troutline.ro/fly-fishing/fishing-flies/flies-sets.html.
Terry

JoeOh

Just following the thread and if I may that's shocking customer service. However seems possible Joe works in a place where customers are still valued.
Gary
Thanks Gary. Our customers are valued, even the grumpy ones. Shame that the customer base is generally older, with a good proportion elderly. So few younger people now, but I am glad to say thay we have more femail anglers now and they are very enthusiastic.
The traditional tackle shop was a magical place to me when I was younger, the mystery, the smells and generally good advice received from the staff. Farlows in London still has the atmosphere.
One of my favourites was a wide shop front in Galway City (can't remember name) with a door at each side, the left door being a bar, the right an old fashioned tackle shop, connected. The manager ran both at the same time. A few beers and more flies bought, and repeat and repeat !
Many of the flies were original Rogans.
On that note, Cheers All

G

GEK79

Thanks Gary. Our customers are valued, even the grumpy ones. Shame that the customer base is generally older, with a good proportion elderly. So few younger people now, but I am glad to say thay we have more femail anglers now and they are very enthusiastic.
The traditional tackle shop was a magical place to me when I was younger, the mystery, the smells and generally good advice received from the staff. Farlows in London still has the atmosphere.
One of my favourites was a wide shop front in Galway City (can't remember name) with a door at each side, the left door being a bar, the right an old fashioned tackle shop, connected. The manager ran both at the same time. A few beers and more flies bought, and repeat and repeat !
Many of the flies were original Rogans.
On that note, Cheers All
Feeneys sports... 👍👍

ShawnZA

I have the same rod which was gifted to me by maxcatch for the poor quality and shoddy finish of their multi length nymph rod I had previously bought, this rod was even worse!!

Poorly finished guide feet showing through poorly wrapped guides finished with poorly applied finish.

Guide wrap trim end pulls

Grip full of filler

Poor quality fittings throughout, guides that don't line up and alignment dots in the wrong place, there isn't one section without three or more flaws.

Ok, but what does the rod fish like you ask? It's a sackless noodle with zero power in any part of the blank, any wild trout over 8" will soon overpower the blank, I wouldn't even trust it with a fairground goldfish.

The cheapest rods from the mainstream brands are worlds away from the two rods I have, Maxcatch are cheap yes, cheerful no.

The original nymph rod isn't too bad to fish with, just need to strip all the junk off and take it back to the bare blank and rebuild it, properly.

That's exactly how every rod looks from them, even the SkyHigh expensive $158 rod has the same poorly wrapped guides and finish. Aslo the claimed AAA cork is full of fillings, more like -A grade cork on the Skyhigh rod, or every rod for that matter.

Then again it's made by the same people in the factory so I guess one cannot expect it to look better due to a higher price.

speytime

I'm a bit surprised to read about the shoddy finishes, I've read mostly positive comments about the rods previously, has anyone else experienced shoddy rods?

Al

JayP

That's exactly how every rod looks from them, even the SkyHigh expensive $158 rod has the same poorly wrapped guides and finish. Aslo the claimed AAA cork is full of fillings, more like -A grade cork on the Skyhigh rod, or every rod for that matter.

Then again it's made by the same people in the factory so I guess one cannot expect it to look better due to a higher price.

They weren't just 'Friday afternoon' rods then, I only want the nymph rod for the blank so don't feel short-changed but if I was using as is I'd of been looking for a refund.

Last edited:

gg76

I'm a bit surprised to read about the shoddy finishes, I've read mostly positive comments about the rods previously, has anyone else experienced shoddy rods?

Al

I have the black star rod in a 4wt and can't fault the finish or the Cork. I think I paid something like £25 for it.
What let's it down for me is its sold as a fast actioned rod and mine is medium at best.

jaybeegee

Al
I’ve had three rods from them, all well made and nicely finished. One of them had an action I didn’t like but that’s just my preference.
B

ShawnZA

Al
Well, I didn't' mind the shoddy finish and bad cork on the cheaper models I had, did not expect much for the price to begin with and was aware of the crap fittings they use. But when they all broke that's when I had a fit haha.

The Skyhigh was/is a nice rod, not a fast action rod at all, so if you are ok with very bad fittings and shoddy wrapping etc and a moderate action rod rather than fast then you should be happy with it if it doesn't break.
I wanted a refund, but it will cost me more to send the rod back from South Africa than what the rod costs, so in the end cancelled the return and ordered a spare piece. Looks like they sent it with normal post so will get that in 3 months time only.

Latest posts