Maxcatch

ShawnZA

I’ve had three rods from them, all well made and nicely finished. One of them had an action I didn’t like but that’s just my preference.
B

Any chance you can place pictures of those rod fittings and rod ends on here so that we can see if they are in fact nice and straight wrapped, and wrapping goes all the way till the rod end on the end pieces.

jerryrum

I think you just have to be realistic in your expectations. Of course the Maxcatch rods aren't going to be as carefully put together as a rod costing ten times the price.

Here is a picture showing the cork and bindings on my two Maxcatch ultralites vs a more expensive rod (L):
RodA.PNG

and close ups of the bindings:
RodC.PNG

RodB.PNG

The Maxcatch cork has plenty of filler, and the bindings don't look as pretty.

The question is, are you buying a tool or a work of art?

The other thing you can see in the top picture is the Maxcatch corks are stained with use, the other cork still has the plastic on even though it is older. Simply put, I use the Maxcatch rods all the time. The 3# has caught hundreds of fish.

If you can afford a good looking, well designed rod, from a local tackle dealer, then you should absolutely buy it. If you are just starting out, or need a knock about rod to keep in the car, then Maxcatch is amazing value for money.

jerryrum

Why have you left the wrapper on the cork?
Honest answer, a silly superstition.

When I get a new rod I don't take the plastic off until I have caught a fish that I have 'earned'.

It started of as a way to keep track of how I was doing with a new rod (or how well is suited me). If I hadn't caught anything after a few trips I could resell the rod as 'nearly new'.

Over the years it has become more about finding 'lucky' rods. TBH, now you have asked I'm having trouble explaining it to myself.

I have caught a few fish on the rod in the photo, but they didn't involve any skill on my behalf, so don't 'count'.

Yes I am aware how this sounds, but most sports or hobbies have some superstitions attached to them.

Jamie Dundee

The dots on mine don’t line up when the rings are in line, although I never really understood why anyone would need help lining up rod rings :unsure:

speytime

They weren't just 'Friday afternoon' rods then, I only want the nymph rod for the blank so don't feel short-changed but if I was using as is I'd of been looking for a refund.
The three rods I’ve had are excellent, finish is as good as any rod?
S.
I have the black star rod in a 4wt and can't fault the finish or the Cork. I think I paid something like £25 for it.
What let's it down for me is its sold as a fast actioned rod and mine is medium at best.
Oh thank goodness! That sounds more like the maxcatch we all know and love 🤣.
@gg76
There a chap on the sff that swears by the black star, apparently he has a bunch of brand name rods but likes that particular rod better?
I've already got too many rods or I'd try one... Or may the next 30% discount will tempt me???
Lol

Al

ejw

3 rods i have had are all o/k, no problems. These are "working" tools and I do not lavish care on any of the rods I have. (including Scotts, Orvis and Hardy) Not worried about looks I just want a rod that will deliver flies well and these do.
At the price I got them for I class them as a one season throw away. Unfortunately the oldest one is 3 seasons old now and still fishing well. How am I to justify another new rod !!!

original cormorant

I have one, it’s a well made bit of kit and I can get everything in it for a day’s river fishing. My only criticism is that the back pocket would be better with a top zip.

B
Not familiar with the product but I'd find a zip on the back pocket of a vest an ergonomic challenge

ShawnZA

Dan Craft?
If that's what DC stands for then yes, just grabbed the first google pic to show how it's supposed to look.

I'll still fish my Skyhigh noodle from Maxcatch once I get the replacement piece in a few months time, but by then I would have probably bought another rod locally, don't think I can wait 3 months

Just wish they would have said it's a moderate action rod and not fast action, not one of their fast action rods are fast action. Wonder if they even know that, starting to think they just roll blanks and call it whatever they want haha

I even told my friend to buy a rod from them (and he will buy another soon) but he at least knows its entry level stuff.

My only real issue is they must stop lying about their rod actions and cork quality, and the wrapping not going all the way to the end of the rod tips.
The crap wrapping around the guides I actually don't mind and also don't mind the dots not lining up at all cause one will always look through the guides to line the pieces up.

The skyhigh broke after about an hour of use.

1606396718077.png

I also noticed yesterday that the but piece is missing a "dome" on the tip end
Looks like that just fell off as there was a "dome" shape on the tip as well just like the piece second from the right. Obviously the broken piece also had a dome shape on the end.

I also realized that the broken piece is stuck inside the other piece so guess they need to send me that part as well as I can't get it out.

So in fact they need to send me every piece except the tip

1606396903863.png