Maxcatch

micka

Beautiful rod. But the notion that the whipping does not go right to the end is a cosmetic issue involving no danger of "splitting."

David Norwich, a renowned and master rod builder for many, many years, stated that whippings at the joints were for purely cosmetic reasons NOT to strengthen the female or male joints. Modern carbon, he argued, had all the strength it needed around these joints in the weave of the carbon cloth alone.

Mick

G

GEK79

I think you just have to be realistic in your expectations. Of course the Maxcatch rods aren't going to be as carefully put together as a rod costing ten times the price.

Here is a picture showing the cork and bindings on my two Maxcatch ultralites vs a more expensive rod (L):
View attachment 32863

and close ups of the bindings:
View attachment 32864
View attachment 32865

The Maxcatch cork has plenty of filler, and the bindings don't look as pretty.

The question is, are you buying a tool or a work of art?

The other thing you can see in the top picture is the Maxcatch corks are stained with use, the other cork still has the plastic on even though it is older. Simply put, I use the Maxcatch rods all the time. The 3# has caught hundreds of fish.

If you can afford a good looking, well designed rod, from a local tackle dealer, then you should absolutely buy it. If you are just starting out, or need a knock about rod to keep in the car, then Maxcatch is amazing value for money.
Works of art are always more expensive. As you stated its a tool that serves a purpose. At least if you drop or snap the maxcatch you won't cry.

ShawnZA

Beautiful rod. But the notion that the whipping does not go right to the end is a cosmetic issue involving no danger of "splitting."

David Norwich, a renowned and master rod builder for many, many years, stated that whippings at the joints were for purely cosmetic reasons NOT to strengthen the female or male joints. Modern carbon, he argued, had all the strength it needed around these joints in the weave of the carbon cloth alone.

Mick
You can leave about 1mm max, but even his rods that he build goes to the end it seems

running bear

I just received 2 x Matchcatch Extreme 8'6" #4wt's for my nephews Christmas presents, accompanied by the maxcatch plastic reel (7/8 unfortunately, 5/6 not available). They came with the budget WF4F's, but I haven't setup the lines yet.

Rods look fine, reel seat is possibly the most budget I've ever seen, really cheap.
The reels are very basic, a few sharp edges, but appear to function OK, definitely beginners only, a used rimfly would be the wiser buy.

I just tested in the garden with a variety of lines, Hardy premium's in WF4 and WF5 and an old Orvis entry level WF5 (name escapes me, but it's really a 5.5).

I have to say I'm absolutely astounded by the casting performance for a rod less than 20 quid. They handle the WF4 beautifully, mid action yes, but perfectly acceptable tight loops and accuracy. Totally effortless, not the mid section heavy rod I was expecting. A blind test of on casting alone and I'd have said it's in the 60-100 quid range (although looking at the reel seat, I'd say 10 quid)
They feel responsive and no feeling of running out of steam when trying to throw a line as far as beginners will need (although my garden limits me to approx 20m of fly line). Double hauling the maximum line I could have outside the tip did max the rod out, no real surprise though, that would max out many 4 weights.

Handled the Hardy WF5 well too, slight slower obviously. I think I'll set them up with WF5's to start with, I have some old ones about.

The rod started to wane slightly with the Orvis WF5, but it is over weight and I wasn't really surprised.

I always advised beginners to look at a known brands mid range selection and pick something up second hand that's the previous model, such as a Greys G50, anything from Daiwa, or even a Orvis clearwater, they should last a few years and are known entities and fairly robust. That's probably still my advice if your budget is 60-100 quid, but if someone was unsure if they would continue fishing or if budget was tight I'd say go to maxcatch and upgrade when you need to.

Absolute belting rods for beginners - perfect actions to learn on and good performance. Way better in my humble opinion than a shakey agility (I've cast 2 models and both felt disjointed/imbalanced), but I'm in the minority on the agility I believe.

I've no idea how robust they will be, but if they are, they are a steal.

shortcircuit

Guys, I have just come into possession of a nice 3wt rod. Was going to get a line from Maxcatch but I will be waiting for a long time for it.

If anyone got a freebie in one of their orders of a budget line in a 3wt and are not going to use it, I would happily cover the postage, if they are willing to part with it !

Thanks

mebu

Have fallen out with Maxcatch. Had a few items, bit slow but good lines. In August ordered a gold wf3: chased it in Sept as tracking number not working. Mc said lost by carrier, then nothing heard. Sent numerous emails to their 2 addresses, no reply at all. So last week raised complaint with paypal who have now refunded me. Only £12 but very annoying, abysmal service.

shmooveoperator

Has anyone tried the ‘perception’ line? I was after a gold 7# but they are out of stock. Or any other recommendations for a 7#, used for bung fishing and lures.

Thanks

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

They didn't have any in 6# when I wanted one so I bought a windcheater 6#, it was slightly underweight for my rod so I bought a 7# windcheater, I'll buy another, especially for this time of year (y)

campsiefisher

Well, bit the bullet after my 2nd order (fly lines from Maxcatch went missing), and I ordered 3 spools for the 2 Avid reels I had purchased on my 1st order.

Order arrived today, but instead of 3 Avid spools they have sent me 1 Avid reel,

ffs :mad:

Now it's more emails.. bah humbug

G

GEK79

Well, bit the bullet after my 2nd order (fly lines from Maxcatch went missing), and I ordered 3 spools for the 2 Avid reels I had purchased on my 1st order.

Order arrived today, but instead of 3 Avid spools they have sent me 1 Avid reel,

ffs :mad:

Now it's more emails.. bah humbug
Enjoy... 😒😒😒

Latest posts