Maxcatch

jerryrum

So to confirm STOCK20 still works.
I could not resist ordering during the New Year break. I'm interested to see if I do get free express shipping. And who can resist 'our plenty free gifts will make you be surprised' 😂
So a reel, couple of spools, a couple of lines, some backing and a tippet holder are on order.
Will post updates👍
Rich
Same. I was intrigued by the free express shipping.

I have just bought a new version of my favourite rod, from a local angling shop, but I didn't like the selection of reels and lines they carried.

Yes, I could have just used a reel and line from my existing stock, but a new rod sounds like a good excuse to buy more kit, so...

I have ordered the gold line and a lightweight reel from maxcatch. It's the last day of their (well deserved) holiday, so with the free express shipping it should be interesting to see when it turns up.

Not that I'm in a hurry, god knows when the weather/pandemic/fishing season will let me near running water again.

running bear

I see some of the lines are a exact copy of Rio lines, even took the line profile pics from Rio's site.

Maxcatch gold is a copy of Rio Gold
General Satwater is a copy of Rio Tarpon taper
Outbound is a copy of Rio outbound short
Few others copied as well

Got all of those floating maxcatch lines and they perform very well, especially the Outbound.

I do underline some rods with the outbound as the 8wt 330gr is more suitable for a superfast 9wt (Echo EPR), and 7wt 265gr line more suitable for a fast 8wt, can cast 80ft with one false cast, the 30ft head shoots very well

I just stuck an Outbound WF10 onto a Greys GR50 Switch 7/8. I was using a grass leader due to lockdown, but it flew out. Got decent turnover as well into a fierce wind.

It's definitely less delicate than a Barrio switch, but for tight spots I reckon it'll be just the thing. At 27.5g it's nowhere near a WF10, but I knew that when I bought it.

Paul_B

I bought a Windcutter 6# for my x-flite 6# and found it a little light, I ordered the 7# windcutter and that was much better.
However the gold 8# was ok on my GR50 8#

hobnobdude

What reels are everybody using with thumbs up reviews from Maxcatch? is it the Eco reel?

I'm looking at a lighter 9ft 5wt setup and was considering which reel to pair with it.

daniport

What reels are everybody using with thumbs up reviews from Maxcatch? is it the Eco reel?

I'm looking at a lighter 9ft 5wt setup and was considering which reel to pair with it.
I have 3 avid reels and happy with them. Also bought two Toro reels and they are also good. If you are after cheap and cheerful then the eco is great for the price.
trout sell the big river reel for €49 (eithout shipping cost).. exactly the same reel in maxcatch at €28 (that really got under my skin as i bought the reel from troutline). Have had trout to 7lbs on the reel and the drag has been fine.

Gdog

I have a 3/4 avid, the first time I used it with a 5 weight rod, I hooked a 7 1/4 lbs rainbow that went through two weed beds before landing it, the reels drag is smooth and did not let me down.
I also have an NVC 7/8, I've not had the drag tested on this reel, but it has a very good range of adjustment, this reel is available as a 3/4 and 5/6. It's a large arbour as opposed to the Avid which is a mid arbour reel.
Both of these reels are well machined, the finish is good but maybe not as good as a £200 reel. Both reels cost me about 1/6 of that, so great value for money and recommended.

temmo

Maxcatch Skyhigh vs. Nano

Could somebody tell what are significant differences between these two rods?

Rhithrogena

Happy eco 3/4 user - easily dealt with this feisty 24" carp and played a much bigger foul-hooked one well until the hook pulled out
IMG_20200811_183653481-02.jpeg

shortcircuit

Maxcatch Skyhigh vs. Nano

Could somebody tell what are significant differences between these two rods?
I couldn't because I dont have both!

I have the SkyHigh, but have only used it once so cant give a proper review yet

red_tag

I'm thinking about ordering a real gold line #7. A few of the reviews on the Maxcatch website say they are a bit lighter than advertised and to order one size up. Has this been the experience of those on here who have tried these lines?

Thanks

jaybeegee

I'm thinking about ordering a real gold line #7. A few of the reviews on the Maxcatch website say they are a bit lighter than advertised and to order one size up. Has this been the experience of those on here who have tried these lines?

Thanks
Not my experience of Golds red tag. I use 2,3,4 and 6 weights and all perform at their rating IMO.
B

Paul_B

Thanks

I found this on my Ex-flite 6# with their windcheater 6# line, I ordered the 7# and that's fine, however on my GR50 8# the 8# line was fine.

shortcircuit

Just an update, I was out for my first proper session with the SkyHigh 9ft 4#.

I started out fishing dry dropper because the area was reasonably shallow but I still had to use quite a heavy nymph because the flow was still strong after recent floods. Casting a heavy nymph is never much fun and I found I really had to slow down my casting stroke. Once I did though, the rod did well, it was easy to feel the loading on the back cast and deliver accurate casts, even with the big dry fly and heavy nymph.

Where the rod really came into its own was when I was in shallower water and was using a much lighter nymph under the dry fly. I was able to speed up the casting stroke and the rod performed great, the casts were just flying out effortlessly.

Am really looking forward to trying this with single dry fly, I have high hopes.