Maxcatch

shortcircuit

I have only cast the cheapest end of the maxcatch rods would be interested in casting the more expensive end. Trouble is it's perhaps a little to much to take a punt at. Anyone have a top end model?.

I have a SkyHigh 9' 4# which is one of their highest end rods. Very happy with it. Very light at 78g and casts very well with a sort of effortless accuracy about it.

I think it does lack the real "Rolls-Royce" feel of the higher end rods, the cork has a good bit of filler in it.

Tangled

I have a SkyHigh 9' 4# which is one of their highest end rods. Very happy with it. Very light at 78g and casts very well with a sort of effortless accuracy about it.
Is it actually a fast rod? I know it says it is, but so does my Greys but it isn't.

bbamboo

Is it actually a fast rod? I know it says it is, but so does my Greys but it isn't.
I think all of them are referred to as fast 😉
That's the breaking point if someone says a hardy or a sage is fast you know what to expect. With maxcatch because you can't see or try them out you are buying blind. Could be easily sorted on YouTube.

shortcircuit

I would call it medium fast. When fishing a single dry fly, you can definitely speed up the casting stroke and get that linespeed up. I find that when fishing dry dropper, you need to slow down a bit, I guess due to the air resistance and hinging that you get with a nymph

Cap'n Fishy

I looked through all their rods and they don't have one single 9 ft 6 in 6-weight with a reversed half-Wells handle. I won't have a full Wells on my 9 ft 6 in rods, so they won't be getting a rod sale from me... which will please the China Boycotters. 😜

In fairness to them, 9 ft 6 in 6-weights with a reversed half-Wells handle are like hens' teeth these days! ☹️

Cap'n Fishy

I've noticed that too, particualrly affordable ones with a nice wooden reel seat; I'm glad I bought my Sage FLi 9' 6" #6 when I did... and no, I don't want to sell it! ;)

Same here - I have a 9 ft 6 in 6-weight RPL and an XP, and both have a reversed half-Wells. But all modern Sages in 9 ft 6 in 6-weight configuration have a full Wells... as do just about every other make and model. Dunno why the shift?

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Keep it down guys ffs, the world doesn’t need “Understanding Cork Handles - The Demise of The Reverse Half Wells”

In my world...

Reverse half Wells = dry fly or nymphing rod.

Full Wells = pulling rod.

It just seems right for some reason I couldn't even begin to describe.

I seem to be out of step with the world in wanting to fish stillwater dry fly with a 9 ft 6 in 6-weight.

... though I am having a go this season with a 9 ft 5-weight... 😜

Vintage Badger

In my world...

I seem to be out of step with the world in wanting to fish stillwater dry fly with a 9 ft 6 in 6-weight.

Come over to the world of split cane dry fly rods... you know you want to! :devilish: ;)

Scotty Mitchell

In my world...

You’ll be accused of succumbing to the Evil tackle manufacturers advertising 😆😆😆

Reactions: ejw

Cap'n Fishy

Come over to the world of split cane dry fly rods... you know you want to! :devilish: ;)

Last split cane I had was a Sharpe's 'Scottie'. And I think that was a 9 ft 6 in 6-weight, if I remember correctly... and was probably a reversed half Wells handle? :unsure:

I sold it in the mid-late 80s. I can't help but think it would feel like a telegraph pole if I were to pick it up today.

My fishing mentor as a young lad in the 1960s was my Dad's aunt's husband, Uncle Alec. He grew up in Ardnamurchan, fishing for sea trout and salmon on Loch Shiel. And he fished with a Kingfisher silk line on a single-handed 11 ft split cane rod. You'd need arms like Popeye to cast with one of them. We're all a bunch of woosies, compared with Uncle Alec! 🤪

shortcircuit

I think it does lack the real "Rolls-Royce" feel of the higher end rods, the cork has a good bit of filler in it.

Just a little update on this one. Yesterday was the first time I was using this rod exclusively for a dry fly session. I have to say it was a dream to use. I was fishing at about 30-40 foot range with the odd longer cast and this thing was really accurate. Loads of power too when needed, a couple of times I needed to cast long because I couldn't wade into deeper water and was able to handle the long cast really easily. Hell of a rod for about €100

Mrtrout

Great result for the Maxcatch Extreme, I do like mine a lot, and I’ve many other much more expensive rods, just goes to show.
S.

keef68

Great video . I watched the 6wt shootout as well, where the Extreme didn’t do quite as well, but still way up there on distance.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Segami

Personally, I think, as with many items, they are selling to vanity and not need or ability, but I am just a poor, some would say, tight fisted Scotsman, I mean, £1300 for a Hardy rod and £850 for a Hardy reel? What does that really get you?

Vintage Badger

Great video . I watched the 6wt shootout as well, where the Extreme didn’t do quite as well, but still way up there on distance.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Extreme didn't do quite as well? Don't you mean it came last overall (accuracy and longshot)? ;)

Latest posts