Maxcatch

Mrtrout

Lads if I wanted a Real Gold or Eco line but didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it, are there any sellers on Ebay etc that would have it shipped fast
Yes here.
S.

shortcircuit

I was looking at one of these, do you still have the rod in question ❓
I'm sorry I don't. I left it behind me last year after an evening fishing and when I realised it and returned the next day it was gone.

I would have gotten another only I treated myself to one of the higher end rods as an Xmas present

shortcircuit

Yes here.
S.
Thanks, it says estimated delivery is 6 July to 9th August, in your experience is it faster than that

Mrtrout

Thanks, it says estimated delivery is 6 July to 9th August, in your experience is it faster than that
Only ever bought from the website so can’t tell you but I think it’s under a fortnight. I always have a few in stock and if I get low I reorder knowing it’ll arrive before I run out.
You can get faster delivery via Amazon I think.
S.

Mrtrout

55A197B0-E14B-44B2-82F0-75C3ADBB20F5.png

GEK79

benisa

was looking to get a Maxcatch 3/ 7'6'' 5Piece Fiberglass but seems that are out stock
and its like banging your head against a wall trying to get an answer out them when they will be back in stock

bbamboo

was looking to get a Maxcatch 3/ 7'6'' 5Piece Fiberglass but seems that are out stock
and its like banging your head against a wall trying to get an answer out them when they will be back in stock
I think there is quite a bit off stuff out of stock benisa rods especially mate. May have to go for another Shakespeare 🤔👍

tiggs

Can any of the Maxcatch rods be classed as medium or medium /fast. On looking through the website, all are classed as fast action. I have owned briefly a 6wt some years ago which felt like a beanpole and I have been rather reluctant to renew any acquaintance with a wristbreaker.

Owen
Thanks for your replies. I will look at your recommendations, even if the name "Extreme" sounds pretty violent. One friend suggested overlining by a line weight as he felt that they were under-rated re line weight.
I am looking for a #5 rod for a new angler to use for nymphing and dry fly here in NZ so he needs something not too expensive but will land the 10lbers I am sure he will come across in the South Island (if he can catch them).
Owen

bbamboo

Thanks for your replies. I will look at your recommendations, even if the name "Extreme" sounds pretty violent. One friend suggested overlining by a line weight as he felt that they were under-rated re line weight.
I am looking for a #5 rod for a new angler to use for nymphing and dry fly here in NZ so he needs something not too expensive but will land the 10lbers I am sure he will come across in the South Island (if he can catch them).
Owen
Hi Owen the premier rods I had definitely did not need a heavier line on. Good luck let us know what you think.👍

ejw

Alternatives to Maxcatch ?
Some time ago "Made in China" was a link posted and I posted I would try it and feed back !!
After registering and linking in with various "Fishing" companies, I singled out one "Ningbo" Rodcore, who advertised many items and more importantly would sell individual rods reels ect. Prices seemed excellent. After many emails (and disappointments) I found a few items to try ? I did try to order items stocked on their web page but in all cases were NOT available, Clicker reel ($40), travel rod ($18) and fiberglass rod ($20). So after being sent a "New lines" list I asked about a Fiberglass blank at $9 !!! Only available as a kit at $24 ?
Eventually settled on 2 fiberglass rod kits 7' 6" 3wt and an 8' 4wt and a fast action 4pc 8' 3wt with two tips
total price 2 x $25 + $26:50.
I had asked for any additional cost and approximate delivery times (no reply to these questions) I had explained as it was my 1st time using the company I wished to check the quality and delivery times.
In the end a PayPal request was sent for $130:50 ?? $76:50 for rods $54 delivery ! So cancelled the order.
A long process for nothing. This was after 30+ emails.
Result - Long Live Maxcatch
Downside I now get lots of silly prices from China for everything from "New pre built house extensions" to a "3 wheel Taxi".
That will teach me to be a "tight s*d"

Mrtrout

Owen
No need to over line, my Extreme 8.6ft #4 works perfectly with a #4 gold line.
S.

Vintage Badger

Alternatives to Maxcatch ?
Some time ago "Made in China" was a link posted and I posted I would try it and feed back !!
After registering and linking in with various "Fishing" companies, I singled out one "Ningbo" Rodcore, who advertised many items and more importantly would sell individual rods reels ect. Prices seemed excellent. After many emails (and disappointments) I found a few items to try ? I did try to order items stocked on their web page but in all cases were NOT available, Clicker reel ($40), travel rod ($18) and fiberglass rod ($20). So after being sent a "New lines" list I asked about a Fiberglass blank at $9 !!! Only available as a kit at $24 ?
Eventually settled on 2 fiberglass rod kits 7' 6" 3wt and an 8' 4wt and a fast action 4pc 8' 3wt with two tips
total price 2 x $25 + $26:50.
I had asked for any additional cost and approximate delivery times (no reply to these questions) I had explained as it was my 1st time using the company I wished to check the quality and delivery times.
In the end a PayPal request was sent for $130:50 ?? $76:50 for rods $54 delivery ! So cancelled the order.
A long process for nothing. This was after 30+ emails.
Result - Long Live Maxcatch
Downside I now get lots of silly prices from China for everything from "New pre built house extensions" to a "3 wheel Taxi".
That will teach me to be a "tight s*d"
After some careful thought I've decided to try a Chinese made fly reel. I wanted a bit of an upgrade on the old fashioned (not large arbour) and cheap Shakespeare Summit #3/4 reel that I bought to use on my 6' 6" #4 split cane brook rod. I found there's quite a bit of sideways play between the spool and reel cage on this Shakespeare reel and the leader has an annoying habit of disappearing into the gap between the spool and cage while stored, which means taking the spool off to retrieve it.

I only use a trout fly reel to store the line on, playing fish on the line rather than off the reel, so an expensive reel would be a waste of money for my requirements. I did want a modern-style large arbour reel to reduce line memory though, so thought I'd try one of the unbranded 'generic' fly reels listed on eBay from a purportedly British-based seller, for the princely sum of £14.99 inc. P&P.

This model reel has received good feedback from purchasers (with over 120 having been sold) and none being mentioned in the few negative or neutral feedback comments the seller has, so I'm reasonably optimistic. I imagine it will be cast alloy at that price, but I suppose you never know and it might just be CNC aluminium. Anyway, I'll report back with my findings once it arrives!

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

I hope it proves a worthwhile purchase VB, I’ve had a couple of these from eBay around the £12 to £15 mark.
LA CNC and a nice little drag.View attachment 40503
Thanks Mr T. The one I bought is the more old fashioned looking version with 'traditional style' round holes rather than spokes, in black - a bit like the Vision Koma. I thought it might look a bit more in keeping on a split cane rod. Anyway, fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted - I won't lose much sleep if it turns out to be a white elephant; after all, what can I expect for less than the price of three portions of fish and chips?!

Latest posts