Maxcatch

Gdog

Alternatives to Maxcatch ?
Some time ago "Made in China" was a link posted and I posted I would try it and feed back !!
After registering and linking in with various "Fishing" companies, I singled out one "Ningbo" Rodcore, who advertised many items and more importantly would sell individual rods reels ect. Prices seemed excellent. After many emails (and disappointments) I found a few items to try ? I did try to order items stocked on their web page but in all cases were NOT available, Clicker reel ($40), travel rod ($18) and fiberglass rod ($20). So after being sent a "New lines" list I asked about a Fiberglass blank at $9 !!! Only available as a kit at $24 ?
Eventually settled on 2 fiberglass rod kits 7' 6" 3wt and an 8' 4wt and a fast action 4pc 8' 3wt with two tips
total price 2 x $25 + $26:50.
I had asked for any additional cost and approximate delivery times (no reply to these questions) I had explained as it was my 1st time using the company I wished to check the quality and delivery times.
In the end a PayPal request was sent for $130:50 ?? $76:50 for rods $54 delivery ! So cancelled the order.
A long process for nothing. This was after 30+ emails.
Result - Long Live Maxcatch
Downside I now get lots of silly prices from China for everything from "New pre built house extensions" to a "3 wheel Taxi".
That will teach me to be a "tight s*d"
I tried to buy a rod from Ningbo Rodcore recently and after about 6 emails I was quoted a similar amount for postage ($56) for a single 9 foot 4 piece rod, so I replied "sorry too expensive" They are probably only interested in bulk sales, hard for any retailer to judge the quality though. They're probably trying to put off guys like us attempting to buy a single rod for ourselves, can't blame them if they are a manufacturer.

Yep stick with Maxcatch.

Rhithrogena

Interesting to note maxcatch rods I have tried would have been classed as fast rods 20 yrs ago. With sage and hardys todays new incarnations maybe not. I have a feeling fast rods are starting to look dated. And perhaps reached there sell by date.
Things move on.
For sure. Once the 'brands' have outgunned each other for the stiffest rod showdown, it's back to rods that are, well, nice to fish with...

Vintage Badger

Well, my #3/#4 weight Chinese reel arrived yesterday and my first impressions are that it's not a bad little reel; it appears to be die cast alloy rather than CNC machined aluminium and I'd describe the paint finish as reasonable and adequate rather than very good or excellent (but better than I've seen in some photos advertising similar model reels).

The metalwork itself is nicely finished with no obvious casting mark remnants visible, which is better than a Vision Koma reel I have! The drag seems reasonably smooth and the tension progresses in usable increments when increasing or decreasing it using the knurled knob on the side of the reel. I requested a left hand wind option reel (although they appear to be reversible) and that's what they sent me, so full marks there.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Tolerances seem fairly good with very little play between the spool and reel cage, and the spool runs pretty much true, with very little (seemingly less than 1mm) lateral movement when spun round. This is noticeably better than the Shakespeare Summit (a discontinued budget model) that this reel will replace. There is a little too much horizontal free play in the handle for my liking though, which I think could be rectified by installing a small washer of the right thickness to take up the play (but leaving sufficient space to prevent the handle from binding when turning). I'll see how I go with it first though, before I risk messing with it!

If I were being picky, the screws holding the reel foot on could have done with being a little longer as they're only about 2.5 turns in, and there's sufficient depth for another couple of turns before the ends would be flush with the reel cage interior, which would have made things stronger. Also, there was no grease visible on the reel spindle, but a quick smear of Vaseline sorted that issue.

Another slight downside is that this reel appears to spin very freely (when winding in), so centrifugal force when casting may cause the reel to turn. If so, this could result in stripped/free line being wound back onto the spool to some extent during casting. Whether or not this actually turns out to be the case will no doubt become apparent when I fish with the reel for the first time! UPDATE: I've had chance to cast with this reel and my fears were unfounded and the reel doesn't turn noticeably when casting, which I'm pleased about.

As for line capacity, it took the backing and line from my well-filled #4 Shakespeare Summit reel and this filled the wide arbour spool to just the right level. From memory, this was around 30 yards of backing plus a full Shakespeare Worcester DT Floating line.

Full.jpg

So, all in all, it seems a nice enough reel and for £14.99 including postage I'm happy with my purchase; however, if I were fishing on a regular basis with a 6' 6" brook rod and reel, then I'd most likely go for something better... but I suspect I'd have to pay considerably more money to get that. Thanks for reading and I hope this post has been interesting and useful to someone. :)

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Used the first of the Maxcatch lines I bought today... a 5-weight floater. It was fine. Lay straight, shot well. No memory issues. Nothing more required of it. It was twelve quid. Why you would want to pay over £100 for an Orvis floater. :unsure:

Col

ejw

Couldn't agree more. Found out I was missing some heavier lines, so ordered a few more 5 & 6 wt's at £3 a pop delivered, they can keep in a dark cupboard. ( last ones plus a rod and reel went to a "new starter".) I always like to keep a few "goodies" in store for the likes of this.

Cap'n Fishy

I have one Maxcatch reel and the one thing I don't like about it is that as you turn the disc drag knob, it goes: too light, too light, too light too light, too light, just right, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy... so, you have to keep it finely adjusted, and it is very easy to knock the setting one way or the other.

For the same kind of money, I prefer the Sougayilang reels...

I have a couple of the 5/6 ones and I can't fault them.

Col

Gdog

I have one Maxcatch reel and the one thing I don't like about it is that as you turn the disc drag knob, it goes: too light, too light, too light too light, too light, just right, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy, too heavy... so, you have to keep it finely adjusted, and it is very easy to knock the setting one way or the other.

Col
I bought one of the Sougayilang reels on Aliexpress last year but sold it because the metallic paint finish looked dodgy, the drag was very good for a cheap reel. I've had no issues with the drag on my Maxcatch Avid and NVC reels.

Cap'n Fishy

I bought one of the Sougayilang reels on Aliexpress last year but sold it because the metallic paint finish looked dodgy, the drag was very good for a cheap reel. I've had no issues with the drag on my Maxcatch Avid and NVC reels.

Aye, it's possible I just got a poor one (it's an AVID). The Sougayilang reels I bought don't have a paint layer on them, so no issues with the finish. I've had them a few years now and they are like new. They are an older design than the current one in the link I put up.

Col

LukeNZ

Col
You didnt expect it to be as nice as a Hardy though, for the price you paid?

Nor have a similar level of pride of ownership, And support of British made, out of the window too?

Do you expect to replace it, rather then send it to be repaired. Or will you just make do, as its inferior quality doesn't really bother you enough to spend more?

Cap'n Fishy

Nor have a similar level of pride of ownership, And support of British made, out of the window too?

Do you expect to replace it, rather then send it to be repaired. Or will you just make do, as its inferior quality doesn't really bother you enough to spend more?

That's a complete and total strawman argument. 🤪

It's just a reel. It is what it is - very good value for money for about £30 and does the job asked of it - holds the backing and fly line and lets them out on measured demand - perfectly. (y) Why pay more for things that are no better at the job? I've never in 50 years of fly fishing had the need to send a reel to be repaired!

Rods, I can understand. I have a Sage XP that has been my pride and joy for getting on towards 20 years. It has been broken twice and, and on both occasions, was sent back to Sage in the USA and they made a new section for it. (y)

Last Hardy item I bought was a rod - a Hardy Drifter, 11 ft 6-weight. It was made in South Korea. 😗

jaybeegee

Is it possible to buy a new Hardy reel made in Britain? I bought a Hardy last year and it was made in Korea.
B