Maxcatch

LukeNZ

Is it possible to buy a new Hardy reel made in Britain? I bought a Hardy last year and it was made in Korea.
B
Perfect, Bougle, , and Duchess made at Alnwick these days.

The current widespool Perfects are the best reels Hardy have ever made, in my (not so..) humble opinion.

You only buy them once, and you fish with em forevever.

🙃

LukeNZ

That's a complete and total strawman argument. 🤪

It's just a reel. It is what it is - very good value for money for about £30 and does the job asked of it - holds the backing and fly line and lets them out on measured demand - perfectly. (y) Why pay more for things that are no better at the job? I've never in 50 years of fly fishing had the need to send a reel to be repaired!

Rods, I can understand. I have a Sage XP that has been my pride and joy for getting on towards 20 years. It has been broken twice and, and on both occasions, was sent back to Sage in the USA and they made a new section for it. (y)

Last Hardy item I bought was a rod - a Hardy Drifter, 11 ft 6-weight. It was made in South Korea. 😗
Nothing like a Perfect. 🙃

LukeNZ

Thing is, eh, if you have £500 to spend on a rod and reel, do you buy a £40 rod and a £460 reel, or do you buy a £460 rod and a £40 reel?

Just sayin'... ;)
If you bought yourself a couple of the apropriately sized Perfect's when you were young and flush, at the peak of your working life, you would not need to buy a reel now at all. Sorted for life?

Indeed, if you didn't do that, and got them now; you might save a relative, or friend needing to buy Chinese reels in their lifetime, after you are gone?

After all, a Hardy Perfect is never seen at the dump

But on the other hand, the dump is full of Chinese crap...,

Just sayin' 🙃

Cap'n Fishy

You only buy them once, and you fish with em forevever.

🙃

And what do you do if you have over 20 fly lines to accommodate for every type of fishing, from 2-weight floaters for your Czech nymphing rod, through all manner of lines for river and stillwater trout fishing, and on to sea trout lines and salmon lines for double-handed rods? Even if I was wealthy enough to buy 20-odd Hardy reels and spools (which I am most certainly not), I just wouldn't, for there is simply no need. I have two or 3 nice reels, including a Hardy, an Orvis CFO and a Loop 'Dry Fly' and the rest of my lines reside on the likes of Sougayilang, Maxcatch, 'lesser' Orvis reels, SKB, 'lesser' Lamsons, Aleka (a favourite) Okuma, Flextec (another great value Chinese reel) and various others. Another excellent value Chinese reel I have doesn't even have a name on it, so I can't tell you what it is! 🤪

Each to their own, but don't lecture me on what I should be buying.

Cap'n Fishy

If you bought yourself a couple of the apropriately sized Perfect's when you were young and flush, at the peak of your working life, you would not need to buy a reel now at all. Sorted for life?

That's just utter bollox. When I was young, I wasn't anywhere near as flush as I am now I am old and retired. So, when I was young, I bought things like Intrepid Rimflys and Young's of Redditch reels... and they were fine. I still have some of them 40-odd years later and they work just as well as they did when they were new. Now I am old and retired and I can afford to buy a Hardy reel, I have no inclination to, as there are any number of much less expensive alternatives that will do the same job, equally well and will see me out! 😜

LukeNZ

That's just utter bollox. When I was young, I wasn't anywhere near as flush as I am now I am old and retired. So, when I was young, I bought things like Intrepid Rimflys and Young's of Redditch reels... and they were fine. I still have some of them 40-odd years later and they work just as well as they did when they were new. Now I am old and retired and I can afford to buy a Hardy reel, I have no inclination to, as there are any number of much less expensive alternatives that will do the same job, equally well and will see me out! 😜
Each to their own.

Some are happy with Chinese, some prefer homegrown.

Its not a lecture, just a different view, that is all.

Fish that which makes you happiest.

🙃

Kojak

Just a heads up if anyone is after a Maxcatch Toro 3-4wt in blue. (specific - I know;))
Amazon have a couple left in stock for £35 and next day delivery if you are a Prime member.
Thats cheaper than direct from Maxcatch (with a discount code) and you dont have to wait a week or more for it to arrive.
The other sizes and colour options are normal Amazon prices.
Im aware you won't get the Maxcatch warranty from Amazon but they are good reels so wouldnt expect any problems.

Cap'n Fishy

Each to their own.

I said that, already.

Some are happy with Chinese, some prefer homegrown.

What is 'homegrown'? We are happy with the product that we find gives us good quality and good value for money. That was my point in posts # 2,928 and 2,932, and which you attacked with a strawman argument in post # 2,936. If you are anti-Chinese, don't take it out on me! If I buy a Maxcatch fly line for £12 and you prefer to buy an Orvis fly line for £119, good luck to you!

Its not a lecture

It was - you were trying to lecture me.

just a different view, that is all.

No it wasn't. You were trying to tell me what I should be buying.

Fish that which makes you happiest.

I do. But you have trouble accepting that.

LukeNZ

I said that, already.

What is 'homegrown'? We are happy with the product that we find gives us good quality and good value for money. That was my point in posts # 2,928 and 2,932, and which you attacked with a strawman argument in post # 2,936. If you are anti-Chinese, don't take it out on me! If I buy a Maxcatch fly line for £12 and you prefer to buy an Orvis fly line for £119, good luck to you!

It was - you were trying to lecture me.

No it wasn't. You were trying to tell me what I should be buying.

I do. But you have trouble accepting that.
I have no problem with you preferring Chinese reels to Hardy reels.

Enjoy! 🤪

LukeNZ

Not everyone is a logo victim Luke. Particularly fish.

It’s more about investing in enduring quality, supporting and encouraging your own British industry and skilled workers, vs. filling up landfill’s ultimately, with Chinese crap.

Obviously, I don’t have any data, but can’t you imagine that you might find a 1000 Chinese reels at the dump, for every Hardy Perfect you might find. And I think I am being very generous with that?

You pay your money and make your choice.

The current British made wide spool Hardy Perfects are truly excellent. Perhaps, you might get the gorse out of your pockets and try one. The logo is barely discernible, as it doesn’t need to be.. if that is your only objection?

Quality wild Scottish fish being winched in with Chinese renditions/copies of fly fishing tackle…

It must be such a great feeling….🥴

Last edited:

Tangled

It’s more about investing in enduring quality, supporting and encouraging your own British industry and skilled workers, vs. filling up landfill’s ultimately, with Chinese crap.

A lot to unpick there.

You have to accept that almost nothing is manufactured in the UK anymore. You claim some Hardy reels might be, I'd like to see the evidence but even if true Hardy are now owned by a US asset stripper. Almost all their products are made in the Far East.

Second, you're decades behind the curve, Chinese manufacture is not necessarily 'crap'. Bought an iPhone lately?

Third, there's no reason why low cost gear can't last as long as high cost gear. I used a low cost rod for 30 years.

All your premises are false.

Obviously, I don’t have any data,

So why should anyone listen to you?

LukeNZ

A lot to unpick there.

You have to accept that almost nothing is manufactured in the UK anymore. You claim some Hardy reels might be, I'd like to see the evidence but even if true Hardy are now owned by a US asset stripper. Almost all their products are made in the Far East.

Second, you're decades behind the curve, Chinese manufacture is not necessarily 'crap'. Bought an iPhone lately?

Third, there's no reason why low cost gear can't last as long as high cost gear. I used a low cost rod for 30 years.

All your premises are false.

So why should anyone listen to you?

1. Wide Spool Hardy Perfect’s are made by skilled British workers at Alnwick.

2. Show me a Chinese reel to rival a Hardy Perfect.

3. Your use of a cheap rod for 30 years is hardly a benchmark for anything noteworthy.

4. All my premises are considered, and reliable.

Enjoy your Chinese gear, it suits you!

🙃

Tangled

1. Wide Spool Hardy Perfect’s are made by skilled British workers at Alnwick.

Yes, I just looked at a video of them being made there. I wonder how much longer? No doubt they're good reels. They'd better be for £475 and £75 for a spare spool.

But even if they were a fraction of that price I'd have no use for them, they're too heavy and not a cassette. My Snowbee (Chinese and, like the Perfect is precision CNC manufactured) is lighter and three times cheaper (ie still expensive). A cassettes cost £9. I expect the reel to last longer than me.
2. Show me a Chinese reel to rival a Hardy Perfect.
All of them. Depends what you're trying to compare.

As it happens I own a Hardy Ultralite cassette salmon reel which I got it at a sane price from a well known Northern retailer as ex demo. It's also a very good reel. As is my Greys (Chinese) cassette reel. And my lower-end Lamson Liquid. All very good reels. All sane prices but not cheap.
3. Your use of a cheap rod for 30 years is hardly a benchmark for anything noteworthy.
My Leeda Dragonfly reels were also used for upwards of 30 years. It all defeats your claim of longevity. Which is, of course, total bulls!t as usual.
4. All my premises are considered, and reliable.
I'm sure they are; you're a poseur sir! Go powder your wig

Cap'n Fishy

I have no problem with you preferring Chinese reels to Hardy reels.

Enjoy! 🤪

I did not say that... and I don't prefer Chinese reels to Hardy reels. I said that for the same kind of money, I preferred the Sougayilang reel to the Maxcatch and that I can't fault them. All your arguments since are strawmen!

Vintage Badger

I totally get the 'buy British' thing, in fact I have only ever bought British cars (unlike many of the workers who probably make them!), so perhaps anyone preaching 'buy British' on here can confirm they have a similar record?

I've also never bought a Chinese made fly rod, I currently have two carbon rods, both of which I bought new; a Hardy Sovereign made in Alnwick, and a Sage made in the USA, the rest of my rods are British made spit cane, the newest of which dates from the late 1990s (but the cane was grown in China!).

However, as I mainly fish for trout and usually play them on the line, I've never seen the point of spending a lot of money on a fly reel. I have a number of cheap, vintage British made reels (Intrepid, etc.) that I use with my longer split cane rods, and a couple of Vision Koma reels I use with my two carbon rods.

The reason I went for a cheap Chinese reel this time was because I couldn't justify spending £60+ on a branded reel to upgrade my standard arbour budget Shakespeare reel, but wanted a large arbour reel to reduce line memory when using my 6' 6" split cane brook rod. I'll very rarely get chance to use this rod, so I'm unlikely to wear a reel out on it, so a better quality reel would be a waste of money for me.

The choice I had was to spend £15 and get a wide-arbour reel with a considerably better drag, or do without. So I can assure everyone that no British reel manufacturer lost out on my purchase, as I simply would not have spent 'British made reel money' on an upgrade. I also doubt that the Chinese economy benefitted significantly from my purchase, unlike they do from all those major manufactures that have stuff made in Chinese factories, from clothes to computer components. So let those without sin cast the first stone! ;)

Last edited:

dgp

Thing is, eh, if you have £500 to spend on a rod and reel, do you buy a £40 rod and a £460 reel, or do you buy a £460 rod and a £40 reel?

Just sayin'... ;)
Nah. I wouldn't waste £500 on a rod and reel. I'd stick with my old tried and tested and spend the £500 on a long weekend at Altnaharra !!