Maxcatch

bbamboo

I've bought two flylines and never had a gift! Rubbish.

I tried my Gold WF3 for the first time Sunday. Despite having been on a reel for the whole winter it was limp as you could wish and cast nicely (I'm not a great caster but it was fine).

However, on the first outing the tip was sinking! HAs anyone else had that? I was using it with a WTT/Luke Bannister furled leader, maybe that was dragging it under?

I was kind of ok with it - didn't seem to affect the fishing - but surprised! Maybe I need to redress the leader.
Have you applied mucilin to the furled leader?. You need to apply again when it starts sinking or it will drag a light floating line under.

catzrob

I find that after half an hour or so the first foot starts to sink. I just smear it with mucilin and all's fine again.

But I find this with almost all lines when fishing stillwaters; on rivers I don't notice. The reason is that plastic sinks and the very fine tips on low weight lines - the last 6" or so are level - they sometimes don't contain enough floating microbeads in to keep it fully up. Your furled leader will make it worse. But like I say, mucilin will keep it floating.

btw, I got that from Simon Gawseworth at RIO!
Thanks! Info from the top!

At the time I didn't even think about the leader. I feel like a bit of a dummy now... But also better about my line!

bbamboo

Nope - feel very silly for that.
After a few days fishing and about 5 applications it becomes less problematic to sinking with thread furlies. After that one application of mucilin is enough to keep on top for a short session no problem once it becomes impregnated with mucilin.👍

catzrob

After a few days fishing and about 5 applications it becomes less problematic to sinking with thread furlies. After that one application of mucilin is enough to keep on top for a short session no problem once it becomes impregnated with mucilin.👍
Thank you! Will put that into practice.

bbamboo

Anyone took a punt at one of the classic trout reels click and pawl CNC. Any user feedback on these?.

Last edited:

skajtrout

I’ve been using the Trout LT line (I know, where did they get that name from eh) and it’s really good for dries, I prefer it to the Gold:

Skaj

shortcircuit

I’ve been using the Trout LT line (I know, where did they get that name from eh) and it’s really good for dries, I prefer it to the Gold:

Skaj
What difference do you find in it skaj, compared to the Gold

Rhithrogena

Skaj
It does look like a good line for delicate work 👍
I have been using their Windcutter, another Rio rip-off which is fantastic. The dark grey colour is great when you get used to it, I think it is less likely to scare fish, and it is perfectly visible - you look for the pattern the line makes across the ripple. The profile really does cast into wind exceptionally well, so much so it is uncanny. Needs good loop control to work well but I have been consistantly able to fish at 15-20 yards into a headwind, with the right leader profile. Had over a dozen brownies at Fernworthy yesterday on dries using it doing exactly that. I like the hi-viz yellow running line too.

skajtrout

What difference do you find in it skaj, compared to the Gold

Simply put, it’s a far more delicate presentation line, as you might expect. Longer front taper that lands really gently. The lake I do most of my fishing on is quite shallow and very clear, plus we fish mostly catch and release, so you’re fishing for some well educated fish. Hence a delicate natural presentation is the goal. I’ve found it’s best using a weight up from your rod, so I use a 5wt on my 4wt rod, casts like a dream. Thing is, although it’s a delicate presentation line (LT means light touch if you don’t know) by using one weight up I can comfortably cast 70-80 ft if I need to, so best of both worlds.

Of course the beauty of Maxcatch lines is it will only cost you 12 1/2 quid to find out if it works for you too, can’t be bad eh.

Skaj

GEK79

I placed an order on the 9th August via the website for the blue intermediate (looks very much like a Cortland Blue !!). Arrived today with a free leader straightener type of thing . £7.96 delivered :)
What sink rate did you get mate please..

shortcircuit

I wouldn't be trusting the sink rates of the Maxcatch lines to be as stated. I have a line that allegedly is 6 ips, but I reckon it is maybe half that in reality.

EDIT: A plus for these lines is they cast great though!

hobnobdude

Ordered a 5wt wind cutter, and a 8wt 3ips sinker. Maybe should have gone for the 6ips if the rates are vastly over rated as I already have a 1.5ips airflo line...

Last edited:

kb9354

Could anyone tell me what they think of the maxcatch black star nine foot, six weight rods.thinking of trying one.

Latest posts