Maxcatch

shortcircuit

I'd a play with a few rods this morning before the weather came in. Two of which were Maxcatch, one a very good blank, the other TBC.

The first, a Maxcatch Skyhigh 9'#6. Light, responsive, feels really accurate, tight loops, a joy to cast. Medium fast, no wobble or sloppy feel, but not a poker, butt feels like it could tame a salmon in heavy water despite being so light. Looks well enough finished guide wise and handle (but it still has it's plastic), nice rod sock, but it has a gold reel seat FFS and the bottom alignment dot is out by perhaps 30 degrees. The threads on the reel seat also look too fine to be robust and the endcap doesn't quite look right/looks cheap. I wouldn't swap a Hardy Demon Sintrix for it, HOWEVER if I were blindfolded I'm not sure which I'd prefer to fish with and at a <1/3 of the price, WOW. Balanced well with a BK disc III, a larger arbor reel may feel too heavy on it.

I then tried a Maxcatch s-glass 8'#5, very interested in this as I want a 8'#5 glass rod and I'd previously fished for a day with a 8'6" #6 maxcatch and didn't quite get on with it. First impressions, this is way way lighter in both weight and feel that the #6 version. It's then that I realised that a 30++kph gusting wind isn't the day to test rods. Rod felt nice in the hand with a Hydros SL II, and could lay down some nice short range casts, but with the right to left cross wind the line was above me waiting for it to straighten, even with a haul to speed it up. I could allow for this but I don't suppose this config is going to be used in such conditions much. Realising how strong the wind was at that point makes the sky-high performance even more impressive (and indicates how fast it really is). I might get a throw with the glass rod again next week in better conditions.
BTW, the reel seat on this is equally ****, it's got a recess in the burlwood (or maybe even plastic) spacer, yet the grip end is really tight to get a reel foot in there, and as the recess is on the handle, the bottom collar doesn't have a recess. Might sound like easy alignment, but it sort of means you have to force the bottom collar up to the normal angle - I reckon it would scratch reel feet over time as tightened (if indeed it didn't fall out of the seat first).

Edit: Just to add, does anyone have experience of the Sky high 8'4" #3? Given how the #6 feels, i'd be interested in thoughts.
Not exactly but I have the 9' 4#. It's a fantastic rod, really light and feels great. It is also really accurate like a laser

shortcircuit

How does the reel seat hold up long term? Does it get jammed with minor grit or crud?

I have fished it pretty good for one season and haven't had any problem with the reel seat as yet., but that's only a single season. There have been a couple of times where I have jammed the butt into some mud by mistake, but I found that a dunk in the river cleans it out no hassle.

Waltyluft

Don it is generally 9 days lately , remember to use Stock20.
Any idea what "included in a Royal Mail sales order" means??
9bb4f7ce1d05c0727e2802be0e218cb2.jpg

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Richdem

Royal mail sales order summaries are essentially just a list of parcels, their tracking numbers and the type of service they are being dispatched on by that seller.

As your goods are coming from China, there will probably be some form of 'middle man' who have the relationship with Royal Mail (ie not necessarily the seller). They will have generated a sales order, a label with your address and will be subsequently billed by Royal Mail to deliver your parcel. Before that happens one or more legs of the delivery will be done by a different carrier. When a sales order is electronically generated Royal Mail acknowledge this and whoever is compiling the tracking have added this as a status.

Basically, it's to be expected.

noel

I was sent a couple of their bamboo boxes in a swap from another member and they are nicely put together .

Reactions: ejw

ejw

I got one to try earlier in the year. It has become my "go to" river fly box. It came complete with a lanyard that goes over my head and the box sits just inside my chest waders. Works well, looks good.

Mrtrout

Haven’t bought from Maxcatch for a while so I’ve just ordered two bamboo boxes two fly lines and some silver beads.
Ill see how long it takes to arrive.
S.

Gdog

Haven’t bought from Maxcatch for a while so I’ve just ordered two bamboo boxes two fly lines and some silver beads.
S.
The bamboo fly boxes are very nice, 6 rows of slots to hold flies and 4 compartments with a magnet in the centre, or 2 rows X 6 slots. The boxes have magnetic closing and are very solid.

20211030_163516.jpg

20211030_163526.jpg

I don't keep flies in mine, I use them as a day box to store most commonly used flies when I'm out fishing. I ordered one and got the second as a gift.

Mrtrout

The bamboo fly boxes are very nice, 6 rows of slots to hold flies and 4 compartments with a magnet in the centre, or 2 rows X 6 slots. The boxes have magnetic closing and are very solid.

View attachment 44911

View attachment 44913

I don't keep flies in mine, I use them as a day box to store most commonly used flies when I'm out fishing. I ordered one and got the second as a gift.
Thanks, I did have one but gave it away, they make great presents.
S.

Waltyluft

S.
Don't hold your breath Steven.
I ordered 3 lines, 3 weeks ago. According to the tracking they landed in the UK on 19/10.
No sign of them yet!
Here's hoping......

hobnobdude

All of my maxcatch orders except 1 arrived very quickly, certainly less than 3 weeks.
I did order a line that didn't turn up, I messaged them about it and they refunded me instantly
2 weeks later it turned up.

noel

Don't hold your breath Steven.
I ordered 3 lines, 3 weeks ago. According to the tracking they landed in the UK on 19/10.
No sign of them yet!
Here's hoping......

Don are they at Heathrow?

eddleston123

View attachment 44911

View attachment 44913

I assume that these bamboo boxes are a bit cheaper than Turrall boxes.

Douglas

Gdog

I assume that these bamboo boxes are a bit cheaper than Turrall boxes.

Douglas
They look very similar, probably are the same. A similar Turrall box that sells for £26.47 on Troutcatchers is £4.19 on Maxcatch website then allow for 15% discount with Stock 20 = £3.56. So a fair bit cheaper ordering from Maxcatch.

Why not go ahead and buy one.

I ordered one for that price and got one free too. Winner alright.

Latest posts