Maxcatch

patk

Just bought 2 x 5wt and 1 x 7wt blue intermediate lines I did have some size 14 dry fly hooks in my basket but on checking I have plenty left so removed them . £23 .03 for 3 lines can't complain. Stock20 is still working.
Be very interested in how those intermediates are. Sink rate etc.

Hardrar

I'm not a tackle manufacturer! ;)

Anyway, here are the evidence photos:

Maxcatch V-Lite 7' #3 'fitted' with my generic, Chinese-made #3/4 fly reel, with ruler for scale (mind the gap!).

View attachment 47340

Shakespeare Agility 2 Rise 6' #3 rod fitted with the same reel. It appears there are still two or three thread turns left after it's nipped up as tight as it will go, which I think shows a reasonable reel foot size tolerance range.

View attachment 47341

However, the Shakespeare isn't totally without fault, as the reel seat ring tends to stick on the foot of the reel after the screw has been slackened off, which means tapping it with something to make it let go. Mind you, I'd rather put up with that issue than have the ring work loose and the reel drop off mid cast or while playing a fish.

As suggested, I'll get on to Maxcatch tomorrow and try to find out if it's a one-off manufacturing error or they're all like that.
If you buy some helicopter tape, which is clear self adhesive thick film, that’s extremely tough, designed to protect the leading edges of Helicopter rotor blades. Cut it to the shape of your reel foot and stick it on the surface of your reel foot, that mates to the reel seat. It will lift the foot up and it should fit fine then .
I did this with my greys reels onto Agility rise rods.
The other better alternative, is to remove the reel seat and fit a better one? I did this with my Agility Rise rods eventually.

Vintage Badger

The other better alternative, is to remove the reel seat and fit a better one? I did this with my Agility Ride rods eventually.
I know, if you recall I bought one of them from you. :) I'll see what Maxcatch say when I get chance to email them. As for modification, I need to try that V-Light a bit more to decide if it's worth my time fiddling about with it. Out of interest, where did you get that (poplar?) reel seat from, it's very nice and I wouldn't mind fitting one to the 6' #3 Agility 2 Rise rod I've bought?

ktmian

Anyone have comparative experience on the Blackstar vs Premier rods? 9' 5 weight? will they handle double figure fish ok?

Hardrar

I know, if you recall I bought one of them from you. :) I'll see what Maxcatch say when I get chance to email them. As for modification, I need to try that V-Light a bit more to decide if it's worth my time fiddling about with it. Out of interest, where did you get that (poplar?) reel seat from, it's very nice and I wouldn't mind fitting one to the 6' #3 Agility 2 Rise rod I've bought?
Pleased you like it! Mick at Bloke rods. He has some nice bamboo ones too at present.

Rhithrogena

Crazy planet. A Maxcatch Eco 3/4 Prespooled with line and backing just sold for £36 (inc. postage) on Ebay.
These are £19 direct from Maxcatch not including STOCK20 discount.
Damn near 100% profit there...
Screenshot_20220115-154743.png

noel

jack_russell

Just wondering if anyone has an avid 3/4# reel - I'm wondering if a 5# line will load ok on it? I guess if I reduce the backing there is no reason why not - but my concern is they do look considerably smaller than the 5/6#?

jaybeegee

Just wondering if anyone has an avid 3/4# reel - I'm wondering if a 5# line will load ok on it? I guess if I reduce the backing there is no reason why not - but my concern is they do look considerably smaller than the 5/6#?
I had one and sold it on. It took a 4# line and about thirty yards of backing as I recall…more than enough for where I fish though.
B

Gdog

I have an Avid 3/4 loaded with a free 100' Maxcatch WF3 line and about 50 yards of backing. I'd say its bulky for a 3 weight line and at 100 feet long its longer than most 3 weight fly lines. So if you reduce the backing and even take a bit off the reel end of the line it might squeeze on.

Latest posts