Maxcatch

delray

Don't hold your breath quite yet; I too received such updates, twice this year, and a number of weeks later, nout.
As I mentioned, one e mail (I think a return mail to the dispatched info) on both occasions and a refund made, but 5 or 6 weeks in, you just feel you've wasted time if not money. The goods never arrived, they had never been dispatched unless they have a system of getting them back when they're in transit.....I don't think so.
Good luck PaulD, they do have some good stuff, plainly.

green man

If these very reasonable prices encourage more people into the sport then surely that’s a good thing?
If you can buy a line for £12 that performs as well as one costing £79.99 that’s a great thing for youngsters who could never afford the latter.
S.

Come off it Mr T. Kids (or their parents) can afford to buy them mobile phones, video games and expensive trainers, so I don't buy the idea that this is a great way to get them interested in fishing.

I'd rather a kid knew something about China's unethical business practices, its appalling record on human rights and the environment, and that it's an existential threat to our way of life. Kids are interested in that sort of stuff these days... or should be, because it's their generation that'll have to live with the consequences of ours turning China into a superpower.

The west is only just starting to wake up to China - we have to wean ourselves off a dependency on them for manufactured goods. I just hope it's not too late.

Ahhhh, that's better. 😜

PaulD

The west is only just starting to wake up to China - we have to wean ourselves off a dependency on them for manufactured goods. I just hope it's not too late.

Ahhhh, that's better. 😜

What we need is for kids' parents to earn the same as Chinese kids' parents to make it an 'even playing field' and not 'afford to buy them mobile phones, video games and expensive trainers,' (made in China?) - just buy them Orvis 'Starter Kits' (made in China) but sold at 'Western prices' for the benefit of Western shareholders . . . so that they can learn fly fishing in the proper way. Alternatively, if Hardy was still a UK company, they could buy their kids some 'home built' Hardy kit. :rolleyes:

Mrtrout

Kevin, seriously disappointing reply from you, I expected better?
Just go around your house and car and chuck in the bin all your products like camera, tv, microwave, sat nav, radios, the printed circuits in your washing machine,dishwasher, drier etc, the list is endless, probably the LED bulbs that you have on to light your home even, they are all produced in “sweat shops” in China, do you ever think of that when making a phone call or watching the evening news? Or do you simply prefer to turn a blind eye?
The West are well aware of Chinas dominance, it’s been going on since before we were born, remember the novelties that dropped out of your Christmas crackers when you were a child, each and everyone said Made in Hong Kong.

Any way, I’m not prepared to turn this massive thread on Maxcatch into a slanging match, it’s not the place, bring it up in the members lodge, if you must.
S.

green man

What we need is for kids' parents to earn the same as Chinese kids' parents to make it an 'even playing field' and not 'afford to buy them mobile phones, video games and expensive trainers,' (made in China?) - just buy them Orvis 'Starter Kits' (made in China) but sold at 'Western prices' for the benefit of Western shareholders . . . so that they can learn fly fishing in the proper way. Alternatively, if Hardy was still a UK company, they could buy their kids some 'home built' Hardy kit. :rolleyes:

My recent purchases - outdoors gear, fishing, guitars, etc. - have been made in USA, Mexico, Vietnam, South Korea, Japan, and wait for it... Alnwick!

I just think we need to move away from buying anything made in China - both morally (because they steal IP) and strategically (because they are a threat to our way of life).

If you guys don't agree, that's your choice - you'll wake up one day.

green man

Kevin, seriously disappointing reply from you, I expected better?

Oh come on, that's a bit rich Steven. I'm equally disappointed that people prefer to turn a blind eye and buy and recommend the products of a company that blatantly rips off the IP of businesses that have invested heavily in developing those products. How can that be justified? Ah yes, it saves you a few quid.

IP theft is quite different to a brand simply manufacturing in China - often setting up their own ethically run facility and not sweatshops - which I accept has become a global reality.

We laughed at the cheap cr4p that fell out of our Christmas crackers, well, we're not laughing now. And the next generation won't be laughing if this generation doesn't rein the Chinese in.

And please, a thread about Maxcatch is as good a place as any to make comments about Maxcatch.

Anyway, judging by the 'Likes' I'm not alone on this one.

PS. I checked where my kitchen appliances were made - Vietnam and South Korea.... just doing my bit. 😜

Mrtrout

And please, a thread about Maxcatch is as good a place as any to make comments about Maxcatch.

Anyway, judging by the 'Likes' I'm not alone on this one.

PS. I checked where my kitchen appliances were made - Vietnam and South Korea.... just doing my bit. 😜

Why did i just know you would reply on here.:rolleyes:
This very long and informative thread is about the products we buy from Maxcatch, NOT the Chinese economy.
Two likes proves nothing not to me anyway.
Do you think the wages in Vietnam and South Korea are any better, honestly?
Reply if you must but I won’t be responding.
S.

running bear

And as if by magic the reel showed up today.
Parcel was bashed about but reel is fine. For anyone that’s interested amino review

the case is poor compared to snowbee and greys cassette cases I have, movable velcro dividers though which are handy.
thw spools all have some moulding witness marks/burrs, which would damage the retention seal, so I cut these off. Helped spools on and off.
Stayed capacities are never accurate (unless like vision you get a volume measurement). So to compare it to a snowbee XSD 780, it has a larger capacity due to the overall smaller arbour. I put a #9 40+ floater on it to gauge true capacity and it took it, although you’d only maybe get 50 yards of 30lb gel spun on it, but very few Trout sized reels can take this line (I have mine on battenkill mid arbour Vs).

drag looks ok, it goes to a level you’ll never need on a reel of this size, but has a slightly heavier lowest level than I’m used to (although saying that I think the Hardy ASR 3000 takes far too much to get it started also). Drag knob is ok too, better than the piscifun sword drag knobs (and my orvis hydros SL for that matter)

Matt black finish with no logo etc suits me, I might put some lines on it that I will use on my logo free Matt black bloke XL50 light switch.

Looks good for the money, order now for next year... possibly.
Just an update on this reel. I bought it for temporary transfer and storage of lines etc and just out of curiosity tbh.
Anyway, I’d stored a WF8 on it whilst awaiting a new spool for another reel. I put the reel onto my transfer rig (a broken spinning rod butt section, with an additional reel seat added), and wound the backing and line into my new reel spool.
Half way through I felt vibration and actually thought my new reel spool had been damaged in transit. Anyway, by the time the line and backing was transferred, the bearing in the maxcatch was shot...I can see fragments in there and will open up later if I can be arzed.
I know that no one is going to buy this for bonefishing, but seriously, it wouldn’t last a season stockie bashing! Pulling the line of the reel alone would have it shot in weeks.

ShawnZA

I am in the process of trying to get either a replacement section or a refund for a breakage. It is a Black Star 6 weight. The rod arrived with the bottom of the tube having fallen off and the rod partially out of the tube. I saw some marks on the top section of the rod. I informed Maxcatch and asked what I should do (send the rod back or ask for a section). No reply. Took the rod out for a try and effectively the top section broke mid casting. Have emailed Maxcatch twice and messaged them in facebook but no reply. Will keep at it as the rod is still in warranty.. although you pay more for Orvis the customer service is way better. You get what you pay for..!

I did log a return, but will cost more than a new rod to send it back from my country so ordered a spare section so that I can at least try to sell the rod once that arrives

True to the word you do get what you pay for.

Yesterday I also got banned from the MaxCatch facebook group, why, cause I made a comment...

A guy asked why his V-Top rod can't cast a full line like his 12 year old more expensive rod, I said he can't expect a medium fast action rod that costs a 5th of the price to cast the same as a expensive fast action rod.
Banned for that, how pathetic.

So many posts of their rods that break on first use gets deleted immediately. Try posting a review on the maxcatch site, or facebook sites and see it deleted immediately, then get banned as well.

The so called MaxCatch "ambassadors" are all lying about the stuff so that they can keep on getting free stuff from them.

Their lines are ok, some reels are okish apart from the drags slipping every now and then or the one way bearing turning into a two way bearing. I would not touch their rods or reels again, learned the hard way.

jonbee56

Seems to me that Maxcatch are like marmite... there are loads of posts confirming that they are good rods/lines etc, and some stating problems, but nothing saying “they are ok”.. so it’s either love them or hate them

Paul_B

Personally I wouldn't buy any rod or reel unless I've tried it but would risk it on the smaller cheaper stuff, a bit like the hooks from Japan £4.70 ish for 100, so I expect liquorice, however they're very acceptable and have ordered more.

ShawnZA

Seems to me that Maxcatch are like marmite... there are loads of posts confirming that they are good rods/lines etc, and some stating problems, but nothing saying “they are ok”.. so it’s either love them or hate them

My friend has a V-Gold rod and he hasn't had any issues, but then again he only used the rod once since he got it a few months ago.

I'm sure not all the stuff breaks, but my experience has been shocking. Redington rods also comes out of China, and some of them are very nice, but they don't come out of the Leichi factory

I'll still use their lines, those I have no issues with and can get it from a guy that imports them so if I have issues I can just give it back for a new line.

Pako

Hi everyone,

I am new here (did a small introduction in a previous post).

I also have been reading this thread and its numerous pages and have a few questions.
I want to start fly fishing for brown trout (in France), my local streams are not very wide, i'd say 4-5 meters max. So I am looking for a rod for small fish and small streams. After reading here and there stuff I ended up on this Maxcatch thread, the gears look good for the value.

I have listed a number of rods which could suit my needs:
  • Ultraglass rod in 7' #3(for the good sensations of fiberglass on small fish)
  • Ultra-lite rod but what size ? 7'6" maybe
  • V-light rod, same about size

Any advice to help choose one please ?
Thanks

jaybeegee

Hi everyone,

I also have been reading this thread and its numerous pages and have a few questions.
I want to start fly fishing for brown trout (in France), my local streams are not very wide, i'd say 4-5 meters max. So I am looking for a rod for small fish and small streams. After reading here and there stuff I ended up on this Maxcatch thread, the gears look good for the value.

Thanks
Hello Pako and welcome to the forum. If your local streams are tree lined
7’ 6” may be a little on the long side. I have a V-Light 6’6” #2 and find it good for fishing a small stream under a canopy, although I have bashed even that against overhanging branches once.

B

Mrtrout

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Hi Pako, I bought the Ultraglass 7.6ft #4 and have used it several times, it’s a super rod very strong with lots of feel.
S.