Maxima fly tippet material

bobmiddlepoint

Years ago on a clear stillwater ran a test with maxima versus fluorocarbon fishing buzzers static under the bung. Fluorocarbon outfished maxima by a mile, but I will admit knot strength is an issue. For pulling flies I would either use Maxima or Drennan or do like the match guys and use subtle 14lb fluorocarbon.

So there we have it, fluorocarbon for float fishing and nylon for fly fishing!

Why did the fluoro out fish the nylon? Less visible because fluoro is invisible in water, less visible because it was clear and the Maxima was not, less visible because it was thinner than the Maxima or was it because it sank the flies to the right depth quicker? Or maybe the trout liked the smell of it, do trout like the smell of BS? :unsure:

Andy

Laxdale

Ultragreen for me. I never go below 12 for grilse and salmon because I do not want to prolong the argument. Most of the guys use 8 when I have them out on a loch where sea trout are present.
Fluorocarbon and double strength are for those that yearn to say "that never happened to me before".
A few years ago Ian Gordon wrote an interesting piece about chameleon vs ultragreen which I cannot be @rsed hunting back for. Maybe someone with time can find it!

Cap'n Fishy

So there we have it, fluorocarbon for float fishing and nylon for fly fishing!

Why did the fluoro out fish the nylon? Less visible because fluoro is invisible in water, less visible because it was clear and the Maxima was not, less visible because it was thinner than the Maxima or was it because it sank the flies to the right depth quicker? Or maybe the trout liked the smell of it, do trout like the smell of BS? :unsure:

Andy
It's an observation, so it is not BS. There will be a reason why fluorocarbon outfished Maxima under those circumstances. There may have been a difference in visibility, due to light or water properties. It may have been to do with sink rates, as fluoro sinks at 3 times the rate of nylon. That difference comes to the fore with dead slow and static forms of presentation, such as bung fishing. If it was a transient thing to do with light or water conditions, it might be reversed if it was re-run another time. It may be impossible to say why, but there will be a reason for it.

My fishing partners and I have, over the years, encountered days when fluoro outfishes nylon and other days when nylon outfishes fluoro. These are genuine observations. If people only ever fish one or other material they will be unaware of any of it. I always carry both nylon and fluoro and am prepared to switch if I get wind of being on the wrong one.

Not BS.

bobmiddlepoint

It's an observation, so it is not BS. There will be a reason why fluorocarbon outfished Maxima under those circumstances. There may have been a difference in visibility, due to light or water properties. It may have been to do with sink rates, as fluoro sinks at 3 times the rate of nylon. That difference comes to the fore with dead slow and static forms of presentation, such as bung fishing. If it was a transient thing to do with light or water conditions, it might be reversed if it was re-run another time. It may be impossible to say why, but there will be a reason for it.

My fishing partners and I have, over the years, encountered days when fluoro outfishes nylon and other days when nylon outfishes fluoro. These are genuine observations. If people only ever fish one or other material they will be unaware of any of it. I always carry both nylon and fluoro and am prepared to switch if I get wind of being on the wrong one.

Not BS.

Sometimes, just sometimes, a post doesn't need replying to... and I say that as the person who posted it!
;)

GEK79

Sometimes, just sometimes, a post doesn't need replying to... and I say that as the person who posted it!
;)
LOL I thought BS meant breaking strain I'm going to buy a cpl spools of both chameleon and ultrgreen.. See how it goes.. I will set my leaders and get ready for March the 1st...

Gdog

I've said it before and I'll say it again "just to be sure like" pronounced with the deepest bogger accent and yes I'm from the country.

It's amazing when there's a post about leader material, the usual protagonists start the same old debate, with the same arguments repeated over and over. 😜

Cap'n Fishy

I've said it before and I'll say it again "just to be sure like" pronounced with the deepest bogger accent and yes I'm from the country.

It's amazing when there's a post about leader material, the usual protagonists start the same old debate, with the same arguments repeated over and over. 😜
Why is it amazing? What do you expect to change from one time to the next? :unsure:

GEK79

Not sure all here know what a bogger accent is lol.. 😜😜

campsiefisher

Nylons do lose strength when they absorb water, most of the reports I have read say about 10%. But again, that's not what I was commenting on - you said

“Even recently I've heard people say you can test the breaking strain yourself by tying a weight to your tippet of choice and drop it until it breaks.”

Obviously you can't test standard BS that way; the drop test is testing brittleness or shock strength not BS. Whoever, said that was confused.

Having said that, the difference in shock strength between normal and low diameter lines and particularly between nylon and fluorocarbon is quite shocking.
My point was if you want to run any test as a fair comparison test of any kind, then it's better to have the tests take place under proper scenarios where everything is equal. If we at least both agree that mono loses at least some strength (whether that be 10% or 20%, some would even argue up to 30%) when in a wet environment.

Conducting a comparison test on several tippet materials when they are dry, just handed the advantage to mono, as it has not yet been introduced to a wet environment where it very obviously loses at least some advantage.

Apologies to the Op if this has went off track. I personally use Ultra green, along with other makers tippet material, including fluorocarbon, for different scenarios, hope this helps.

Best regards
Jim

suzuki15hp

It might be a good idea to start a "Maxima" thread, to gather associated stories and experiences, just to see how popular and widely successful this wonderful magic filament really is.

p.s. Apologies. Of course we should also have a "Non- Maxima" thread for all the rest o' that stuff.