May I ask....

Capeldrae

...how you chaps look after your silk lines ?

After use I empty mines into a basin and leave for 1 or 2 days to dry. I then run it through my mucilined fingers into another basin before winding it onto my reel.

webblade

I wrap mine in lose coils on as rack I made for the wall. I have just started about 6 weeks ago greasing with otter butter and I’m well impressed. Put it on sparingly and it floats all day 6-8hrs for me and picks up no dirt. I have previously used mostly Peche a Soie and sometimes red mucilin. So far I prefer the otter butter to both.

stevel

Hi Brian
I haven't used one for a few years but when I did, I would clean the line first by stripping it through a wet cloth as it often picks up lots of dirt which can wear guides.
I then like you, loaded it onto one of my line winders in large loose loops and let it dry for a couple of days (or just overnight if I'm fishing the following day). Then I'd reel the line back onto the reel a metre a a time rubbing the grease onto the line with my fingers like you.
For the close season I'd take it off totally and put in its box or ziplock bag.
Cheers
Steve

Capeldrae

As I don't know how there made can I cut a bit of the tip of my silk line when I change leaders ?

stevel

With the Phoenix lines, they had no loop, just the straight line end. They advised to do a nail knot to the end or just fold the line over and whip it into a loop. I used to do this but after a while the loop would start to crack so I'd cut it off and whip another loop.
Some people don't like loops so prefer to nail knot. I guess that when the leader wears out you'd have to clip a piece of the silk line off but if this happens a lot then you're reducing the length of the line, albeit not by much.

Capeldrae

Thanks Steve the leader I nail knotted has sort of died, going to try a castwell knot onto a furled leader.

stevel

Thanks Steve the leader I nail knotted has sort of died, going to try a castwell knot onto a furled leader.
No probs Brian! I recently got an Ian Moxon silk from ebay to try out after giving them up many years ago, and it has a synthetic loop whipped on. As most furled leaders are loop to loop, this may be a good option.

Overmiwadrers

I bought one of those old fashioned winding frames for fly lines. I wind the fly line on and leave 24 hours . Then wind back onto the reel through a pad with mucilin or Otter butter.

The winding frames are really useful for loading and unloading ordinary fly lines too.

O M W

Whinging pom

Mine ( pheonix level) just comes off the reel in coils and is either stored on back shelf of car or on the couch over night. Every three or 4 trips I’d run it back on the reel through the mucilin pad. It will take about 3 hours fishing before I notice water starting to stick to it and need a bit of re dressing . I rarely fish for longer, I do however fish about 3 nights a week and sometimes the rods not broken down for months.
I use pheonix silk furled leaders . I’ve used lots of dibble, and bannister which are/ where really nice. ( never known how to order mr T’s and would love to use a forum members product)).
They’re expensive but the pheonix are something else. There’s a slickness to them , worth giving a go! I don’t begrudge them the extra couple of quid it’s a quality product

Reactions: ACW