May I ask......

Capeldrae

how you lads clean your silk lines at the end of the season ?
How you store your cane rods over the winter months ?

stevel

I don't have any different process for end of season, I just clean, dry, re-grease and put away in its box (or ziplock) until next season.
The rods I just clean, sometimes give it a little furniture wax then put it in its tube upright in a cupboard, without the cap.
If I've fished it recently I'll leave it taken down in a room on a table with a dehumidifier on for a day or so before putting it back in the bag/tube.
I've never hung the rod in its bag.

Jason 70

I'm the opposite of Steve and hang them in there bags. Those that have not been used for a while, Avon's, Barbel and Carp rods. I take out for 24 hours, every three months or so to 'air' them. I read that some place years ago, but can't think where?

stevel

The cap off tip I only read a couple of years ago, it's supposed to be death for bamboo being locked in the tube, I hadn't heard this before then and had done it to all my bamboos before that tidbit, without any ill effects (hopefully!)

stevel

I'm not sure what the hanging is supposed to do, air it or prevent sets from being inside the tube.

stevel

PaulD

I hang my cane rods, in their bags, from small picture hooks on the walls in my 'Man Cave'.

My silk lines are Mucilin coated as usual, then stripped, in loose coils into a shoe box where the spend their winter retirement.

nymphist

Two are hanging in their bags vertical on hooks in the corner, two in their bags inside the tubes staying vertical with open covers. Silk lines are winded on a big diameter round cardboard boxes in the closet.

roadrunner1000

I don't have any different process for end of season, I just clean, dry, re-grease and put away in its box (or ziplock) until next season.
The rods I just clean, sometimes give it a little furniture wax then put it in its tube upright in a cupboard, without the cap.
If I've fished it recently I'll leave it taken down in a room on a table with a dehumidifier on for a day or so before putting it back in the bag/tube.
I've never hung the rod in its bag.
I've recently 'remembered' a cane rod that has been stored in an old coarse fishing rod holdall since the late 1980's . I plan to strip it down and refresh over the winter. The varnish is in good condition so I'm wondering if any specific wax should be used ? A have a couple of tins of clear Briwax in the shed. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

stevel

I've recently 'remembered' a cane rod that has been stored in an old coarse fishing rod holdall since the late 1980's . I plan to strip it down and refresh over the winter. The varnish is in good condition so I'm wondering if any specific wax should be used ? A have a couple of tins of clear Briwax in the shed. Any thoughts ?

Thanks
My rods are actually oil finished as opposed to varnished, so I think a maker on here who dips their rods could advise if that's advisable or sensible. The guy who made my rods advised a yearly rubdown with a furniture wax.

airsprite

Ive always kept mine in tubes with the lids off,with no issues, always making sure the rods and bags are completely dry.
Be careful using wax if it has any silicone content, as it could cause problems if you need to re varnish. Silicone reacts badly with some paints and lacquers.

Steve

stevel

I think most makers would do due diligence and clean with appropriate products on each application of a coat.
I was ripped off once by a well known maker and sent a rod which was covered in fisheyes. I researched it and it's a well known subject for custom car finishers. I read that it's almost impossible to avoid silicone as it's everywhere, it said you have to use special cleaners before and after every coat. I recently had some wrap work by Gary Marshall and the work was superb. I guess that all was done to ensure this to happen as I've used them a lot, waxed them and used products like floatants whilst fishing. I chose a "traditional " furniture wax, but will confirm if it contains silicone.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Things like silicon line dressing can leave residue on the rod, washing up liquid can remove most if not all wax/silicon, thats why you shouldn't wash your car with it.
However their are silicon removers available for refinishing and products to make sure you don't get the fish eyes

Vintage Badger

I've always stored my cane rods in a display cabinet, with the rod sections spread out slightly (like in the photo in post #6) and standing as vertical as I can reasonably get them without them toppling over, so as not to cause them to bow under their own weight during storage. The cabinet is in a corner of my living room, out of any direct sunlight and at as constant a temperature as possible, with an average room humidity of around 45%.

I've had most of these rods for around 30 years now (having bought them cheaply when most people didn't want them), and I've not found any ill effects from storing them this way. The few with slight sets still have slight sets, and the ones without still don't have any. The varnish looks like new, even the shellac varnished salmon rod I had refurbished in 1992 still looks like the day I got it back.

I think just about the worst way to store a cane rod would be in a tied-up cloth rod bag that's kept in a place with wide fluctuations of temperature and humidity, such as in a loft/attic, or in a garden shed or garage. I never store rods in tied-up rod bags as this can easily bend the tip section, causing a set to develop, and modern carbon rods can also suffer this fate. So even with my 'modern' rods, I always check the rod sections aren't under any sideways pressure if storing them in tubes (and bags), then store the tube as vertically as possible.

This seems to work for me, but as usual, other people may have had different experiences.

Latest posts